cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5,000 mile F150 Ecoboost 10speed pulling 8,000 review

Procrastinator
Explorer
Explorer
First, my history. I have been camping and towing RV's for about 18 years now. I have owned and towed 3) 5th wheels and 3 travel trailers in that time. The largest was 38 feet long and the shortest was 28 feet long.

I have towed with these trailers with three different dually's a '98 Ram 3500, a '05 Ram 3500, and a '05 F350. I also towed with a heavily modified '03 Excursion.

When I transitioned to travel trailers, I bought a used Hensley Arrow off craigslist.

My current truck is an F150 3.5 Ecoboost 10 speed with Max Tow option. The max tow has 157" wheelbase and the 6.5 feet bed, a 36-gallon fuel tank, and additional oil cooler. As soon as I bought it, I replaced the factory tires with 10 ply E load tires. I also replaced all the shocks with Bilstein 5100 series and "leveled" the front with them. I added Air Lift's ride control airbags and their onboard air compressor so I can adjust the air pressure within the cab as needed.

Our current trailer is a Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDSLE. Its dry weight was 6622 lbs. According to Forest River's website, the GVWR is "TBD". Prior to this trip, we loaded the trailer and truck with "everything" that we were taking on this trip and we scaled the truck empty, with the trailer with no weight distribution, and trailer with weight distribution.

Yes, we were close to running out of payload on our truck, but we were within specs. The trailer was coming in around 7,500 lbs and we surely added a few hundred pounds more in the last-ditch loading.

The trip was from St. Louis, Missouri area, westbound across I-40 to Santa Cruz, California and returning eastbound across I-80. The total miles that we drove was 5017 miles. I budgeted the trip at 8 mpg and I am glad I did. Total average mpg was 9.2 mpg with towing the trailer about 98% of the miles.

The F150 is not a one-ton dually and it did not perform like one. Like others have written, it has plenty of power. There was only one time on a mountain pass in Wyoming that I finally felt the floorboard under the gas pedal, and even then I was passing almost every other slowed vehicle. At all other times, the truck had plenty of power to spare to crest any hill or mountain faster than I felt like towing the trailer up (ie drinking gasoline even faster)

Yes, in high wind situations I could feel the wind more than I could when towing with my dually. However, the trailer never swayed or got out of control. The towing ride over a long distance was the best I have ever had too.

The worst time towing was in high winds in Oklahoma. The winds were very strong and I was observing large motorhomes and semi-trailers leaning hard and steering into the wind. During this time I learned a very important lesson. The Ford factory anti-sway system and Hensley Arrow type hitches were fighting one another. At this point of the trip, I began to worry that I had made a mistake in buying and towing with a 1/2 ton because the trailer was swaying but I was really fighting the truck and trailer in this wind. My mpg had dropped to 6.3 mpg and it was still coming down. Eventually, I stopped on the shoulder, disabled the factory anti-sway, and immediately took off again. Now, the Hensley could do its job without the truck nanny making it worse. That was a day and night difference.
The factory anti-sway uses the truck's brakes to stop or mitigate sway, but the Hensley couldn't do its job without the F150 sway control. Think "Hensley Bump", and the truck was continuously activating its brakes making the sway worse and then braking again harder. Once I disabled the factory sway, the trailer movement disappeared, and my mpg gallon "jumped" up the 9.4 average.

Yes, now that I moved to a 1/2 ton I am paying more attention to tongue weights and water tank levels than when towing, but I am so pleased with how this thing towed and performed. My wife feels it is one of the best riding set up we have ever had, and she towed over 1000 of those miles and she likes the way it towed too.

After this trip, I can honestly say that I have no regret choosing this truck over my previous HD trucks at this time in my life. If my needs (trailer) change, so will the truck but for the money, it is an amazing truck and it does an amazing job.
2018 F150 Max Tow with 6.5 "long" bed.

2019 Coachman Freedom Express Liberty 292BHDSLE
32 REPLIES 32

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
richclover wrote:

Tow ratings and payload are one thing ...

My little Nissan, now traded and gone, was rated to tow 6100#, 610# tongue wt. Factory tow package. Payload not a problem with the 3300# loaded flatbed trailer I need to tow. All well within limits, trailer brakes included.

But... That poor little V6 motor just couldnโ€™t handle the load ๐Ÿ˜‰

The Gen 2 Ecoboost motor definitely has no issues with load, esp with a 5* tow tune. It is an amazing motor, way better than the Gen 1. I run out of payload (chassis/axle/brakes) first, even at 2506 on the sticker. But I don't want a 250/350 for a DD so I just load a little lighter. I've been as high as 4700 lbs on the 4800 RAWR and it handled it just fine, and pulled the 8500 lbs easily. Right tool for the job.

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
mhamershock wrote:
Groover wrote:
The top tow rating for the 2019 F150 in the clicky above is with the Supercrew, 6.5' bed, 3.55 rear end 2wd and it is 13,200lbs. The line below it for the max payload package (3.73 rear end) shows 11,700lbs. So, you actually lose 1,500lbs towing going with the max payload. Granted, you probably want it for the tongue weight but that is not what the Ford book shows as top tow config.

You can spec out a 2019 F150 Lariet with max payload package, just click on the 3.73 axle. But you do still lose access to a lot of other options when you do that.

For some reason I can't share the link to the build and price as a clicky.

https://shop.ford.com/build/f150/?gnav=vhpnav&intcmp=hp-rvv-bpbuild-f-150&hptid=fv-2598-hp-se:rvv:na:na:Ford%20F-150#/config/Config%5B%7CFord%7CF-150%7C2019%7C1%7C1.%7C500A.W1E..N1...SS6.XL6.53C.55A.CCAB.RETAIL.T8C.LAR.%5D

I rarely care about tow rating. I care about payload. I'd never pull 11,700 with a 1/2 ton, not even my HDPP. Most of us tow TTs or toy haulers or some such, and hitch limits/RAWR numbers are the top issue. When I was shopping I wanted a payload of 2500 lbs, and only the HDPP would proved that with the options I wanted.

Tow ratings and payload are one thing ...

My little Nissan, now traded and gone, was rated to tow 6100#, 610# tongue wt. Factory tow package. Payload not a problem with the 3300# loaded flatbed trailer I need to tow. All well within limits, trailer brakes included.

But... That poor little V6 motor just couldnโ€™t handle the load ๐Ÿ˜‰
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
The top tow rating for the 2019 F150 in the clicky above is with the Supercrew, 6.5' bed, 3.55 rear end 2wd and it is 13,200lbs. The line below it for the max payload package (3.73 rear end) shows 11,700lbs. So, you actually lose 1,500lbs towing going with the max payload. Granted, you probably want it for the tongue weight but that is not what the Ford book shows as top tow config.

You can spec out a 2019 F150 Lariet with max payload package, just click on the 3.73 axle. But you do still lose access to a lot of other options when you do that.

https://shop.ford.com/build/f150/?gnav=vhpnav&intcmp=hp-rvv-bpbuild-f-150&hptid=fv-2598-hp-se:rvv:na:na:Ford%20F-150#/config/Config%5B%7CFord%7CF-150%7C2019%7C1%7C1.%7C500A.W1E..N1...SS6.XL6.53C.55A.CCAB.RETAIL.T8C.LAR.%5D

I rarely care about tow rating. I care about payload. I'd never pull 11,700 with a 1/2 ton, not even my HDPP. Most of us tow TTs or toy haulers or some such, and hitch limits/RAWR numbers are the top issue. When I was shopping I wanted a payload of 2500 lbs, and only the HDPP would proved that with the options I wanted.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
mhamershock wrote:
Did you look for an HDPP version? Would have saved yourself some $$$ and gotten an even more suitable truck. They are the top dog in the F150 towing lineup. I am very happy with my 18 HDPP. I've done nothing but rear shocks to it, and tow similar weights to you.

IMHO anyone towing over 7,000 should get an HDPP. A bit disappointing that Ford stopped offering them with the Lariat trim in 2019. That's what sold me on the 2018.

Mike

manley
Explorer
Explorer
mhamershock wrote:
Did you look for an HDPP version? Would have saved yourself some $$$ and gotten an even more suitable truck. They are the top dog in the F150 towing lineup. I am very happy with my 18 HDPP. I've done nothing but rear shocks to it, and tow similar weights to you.

IMHO anyone towing over 7,000 should get an HDPP. A bit disappointing that Ford stopped offering them with the Lariat trim in 2019. That's what sold me on the 2018.

Mike

They are as scarce as hen's teeth. I am in Texas, and have been able to find exactly ONE on a dealer lot (it was in Dallas, and was pre-sold).
2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer

Mike

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
librty02 wrote:
Groover wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
Groover wrote:
Several comments on here about using E-rated tires. Just for general information if you special order a 4wd F150 you can get it with load range C LT tires (LT 267/65 18C) for $295. This is much easier and may be less expensive than swapping tires on a brand new truck.

Interestingly though, the 2019 Towing Guide shows that you have to have 20" tires to get the max rated tow capacity. I have not been able to find out what the tow capacity is with 18" tires of any sort and my dealer can't tell me.
Clicky
I am not sure what you are trying to show me but I was referring to all the blocks marked with footnote 9 which says 20" wheels required. What would those numbers be if you don't opt for the 20" wheels? Of course, I am mostly concerned with the 3.5 Ecoboost with max trailer tow package which gets the 3.55 rear end.
Groover
The 20 inch wheels as you have stated are required to get the highest GCWR(18400) and tow capacity(13200 for 4X2 and 12900 for 4x4) in the 2019 150 when paired with the max tow package. Now with the 18 inch wheels they both drop. The GCWR for a 4x4 is then 16200 with a tow rating of 10700. The 18 inch LT tires are just an added option for stability with the non HDPP. Those LT tires also take away from the trucks payload as they weigh a good 12-15 more lbs each on avg to drop the vehicles payload by a good 60lbs just for tires.
YUP, what he said. The chart seems pretty clear.
I'll add one thing though, according to Ford published info, the tires add a total of 43 lbs (10.75 lbs each).

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Don't consider 5K miles to be an adequate review of anything concerning longevity. report back in an additional 20K and let us know your impressions as well as what you've replaced, what broke and what you 'think' at that time.

Well on my 11 I have very close to 50k towing my 7k lb trailer alone and 100k on the truck and the only thing its had is regular maintenance over my 8.5 years of owning it now(tires, brakes(rotors once/ pads 3 times), oil/filter changes is all)

On my 18 I've done 6800 miles of towing with 13k on the clock now and only oil changes so far...
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
Groover wrote:
Several comments on here about using E-rated tires. Just for general information if you special order a 4wd F150 you can get it with load range C LT tires (LT 267/65 18C) for $295. This is much easier and may be less expensive than swapping tires on a brand new truck.

Interestingly though, the 2019 Towing Guide shows that you have to have 20" tires to get the max rated tow capacity. I have not been able to find out what the tow capacity is with 18" tires of any sort and my dealer can't tell me.
Clicky

I am not sure what you are trying to show me but I was referring to all the blocks marked with footnote 9 which says 20" wheels required. What would those numbers be if you don't opt for the 20" wheels? Of course, I am mostly concerned with the 3.5 Ecoboost with max trailer tow package which gets the 3.55 rear end.

Groover

The 20 inch wheels as you have stated are required to get the highest GCWR(18400) and tow capacity(13200 for 4X2 and 12900 for 4x4) in the 2019 150 when paired with the max tow package. Now with the 18 inch wheels they both drop. The GCWR for a 4x4 is then 16200 with a tow rating of 10700. The 18 inch LT tires are just an added option for stability with the non HDPP. Those LT tires also take away from the trucks payload as they weigh a good 12-15 more lbs each on avg to drop the vehicles payload by a good 60lbs just for tires.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
nickthehunter wrote:
Groover wrote:

Clicky

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Groover wrote:

Clicky

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Procrastinator, nice review.

What type of fuel did you use during your trip? Regular, mid-grade, or premium?
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We have a similar setup using a e2 wdh. E rated tires. MaxMax tow pkg..no airbags and stock shocks. No swaying on 2000 miles to the keys with some pretty good crosswinds.