cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 to 30 dog bone Adapter

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 50 amp male to 30 amp female adapter for my trailer. I was wondering if I plug into 50 amp receptacle and run my 30 amp off the adapter could it do any damage to my trailer?

I have had a few problems with the 30 amp plugs at campgrounds (loose)so I am hoping this will be a solution to that problem.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro
14 REPLIES 14

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unfortunately, your picture is no a 50 to 30 adapter. Looks like a female 30 amp and a male 30 amp.

myredracer wrote:
Using a 50-30 adapter is perfectly safe due to the 30 amp main breaker in the converter panel inside an RV. I believe some older RVs do not have one tho. These adapters are CSA listed and if they weren't safe, they wouldn't be on the market.

The 30 amp receptacles get a LOT more abuse from users not turning the power off when plugging in (via the breaker) and yanking cords out. Sometimes they are so bad you need a stick or duct tape to hold your plug in place. I have seen pics of shore power cords melted and burned beyond recognition from bad connections at a pedestal.

The converter in an RV has a high momentary inrush current when initially energized - you can hear a zap and in the dark you can see a flash. If you plug in live all the time, it causes pitting on your shore power plug blades which in turn attracts dirt, eventually causing poor contact, overheating and possible eventual meltdown. Same thing inside the 30 amp CG pedestal recept. which can get pretty crispy looking inside and have poor contact. Loose contact pressure inside a recept. caused by yanking cords out too often along with pitting inside a recept. can cause a high resistance connection and low voltage.

Plugging into a clean and tight 50 amp recept. can avoid problems if there is one available. Sometimes you will find only 30 amps available in a CG if it's busy and you can be stuck with a bad pedestal. Some older CGs only have 30 amps available throughout. In this case, you can use a 30 amp to 30 amp 18" "extender" dogbone adapter like the Camco 55205 in the photo. This way, if your extender's plug goes up in smoke and flames, you will hopefully only lose your $20 extender. We carry one around now.

Another thing I've found is that some pedestals won't allow you to fully insert your plug into the 30 amp recept. because the plug housing hits the pedestal enclosure which can cause/add to problems. We are at a Thousand Trails right now that has a new pedestal installed made by Heritage and our Conntek plug only goes in part way (about 3/4?). This would be another reason to plug into 50 amps.

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Using a 50-30 adapter is perfectly safe due to the 30 amp main breaker in the converter panel inside an RV. I believe some older RVs do not have one tho. These adapters are CSA listed and if they weren't safe, they wouldn't be on the market.

The 30 amp receptacles get a LOT more abuse from users not turning the power off when plugging in (via the breaker) and yanking cords out. Sometimes they are so bad you need a stick or duct tape to hold your plug in place. I have seen pics of shore power cords melted and burned beyond recognition from bad connections at a pedestal.

The converter in an RV has a high momentary inrush current when initially energized - you can hear a zap and in the dark you can see a flash. If you plug in live all the time, it causes pitting on your shore power plug blades which in turn attracts dirt, eventually causing poor contact, overheating and possible eventual meltdown. Same thing inside the 30 amp CG pedestal recept. which can get pretty crispy looking inside and have poor contact. Loose contact pressure inside a recept. caused by yanking cords out too often along with pitting inside a recept. can cause a high resistance connection and low voltage.

Plugging into a clean and tight 50 amp recept. can avoid problems if there is one available. Sometimes you will find only 30 amps available in a CG if it's busy and you can be stuck with a bad pedestal. Some older CGs only have 30 amps available throughout. In this case, you can use a 30 amp to 30 amp 18" "extender" dogbone adapter like the Camco 55205 in the photo. This way, if your extender's plug goes up in smoke and flames, you will hopefully only lose your $20 extender. We carry one around now.

Another thing I've found is that some pedestals won't allow you to fully insert your plug into the 30 amp recept. because the plug housing hits the pedestal enclosure which can cause/add to problems. We are at a Thousand Trails right now that has a new pedestal installed made by Heritage and our Conntek plug only goes in part way (about 3/4?). This would be another reason to plug into 50 amps.

fuzzbutt
Explorer
Explorer
I just did this last week. GREAT idea. Less chance of a breaker popping and the air conditioning shutting off.
John, Sherry & Sabrina
+ Mowgli (Keeshond) Shane (Border Collie) Sunny (Sun Conure) & Lily (Cockatiel)
94 Winnebago Adventurer 34'
04 Nissan Murano
05 Acura TL
92 Honda Gold Wing
Now.....bring me that horizon.

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
I use mine when I think the plug in at the boxes have been well used. Two years ago we were camping in July at a full park. Yep...I hooked into the 50 AMP side.
Mark

fuzzbutt
Explorer
Explorer
When i was at M B travel park last year, one of the maintenance guys recommended that I hook up that way whenever possible.
John, Sherry & Sabrina
+ Mowgli (Keeshond) Shane (Border Collie) Sunny (Sun Conure) & Lily (Cockatiel)
94 Winnebago Adventurer 34'
04 Nissan Murano
05 Acura TL
92 Honda Gold Wing
Now.....bring me that horizon.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the hookup site I go to has 50a plugs, I always use my 50-30 adapter and plug into the 50a on the pedestal for my 30a trailer.

No issues at all.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one in my PLAN B box...

This is a schematic of what they look like... You can see where only one leg of the 50AMP service is tapped by the 30A female socket.

You will be plugging into a 50AMP source but your trailer is protected by its 30AMP main breaker.

If you try to use more than 30AMPS it just trips your trailer breaker.

We also like to have a good 20AMP Extension cord along with us as well. We will plug into the camp ground 20AMP SERVICE to run all of our outside items and portable electric heater when it starts cooling down at nights.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just got mine last year and it works great. I have noticed that the voltage doesn`t drop as much as it used to! maybe it`s just me, but it does seem that way. I don`t hear any of the 110V appliances drop down when something turns on. maybe I`ll get a voltage reader to verify this year.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Explorer II
Explorer II
I use mine every time I can for the same reason you are. It will possibly preserve your TT 30A male prongs.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all who replied I feel better now!:B
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
TxTwoSome wrote:
I just bought a 50 amp male to 30 amp female adapter for my trailer. I was wondering if I plug into 50 amp receptacle and run my 30 amp off the adapter could it do any damage to my trailer?

I have had a few problems with the 30 amp plugs at campgrounds (loose)so I am hoping this will be a solution to that problem.
You will usually get a better connection from the 50A receptacle than the 30.
As you are only drawing from one side of the 50A service and your 30A main breaker is in the line, you are fully protected and are presenting no risk to your trailer whatsoever.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
It is safe.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Your trailer is still protected by your 30 amp breaker, so you are good.

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
No problem. I do it all the time. You will only get your 30 amp.