cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A couple of shopping questions

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I are considering purchasing a TC to be a bit more nimble than our current 56 foot long, seven ton setup.

Currently, I tow a 7,400 lbs. TT with a 2006 F350 diesel crew cab 4x4 long bed. I really like having WAY more capacity than the trailer requires. Towing with a half ton was no fun.

First, is there a rule of thumb for TCs to avoid the tippy feeling? The truck does not have a camper package and has a payload of 3,816. I'm looking for a guideline (like, don't exceed 80 per cent of your payload). I do not want to end up throwing a ton of money into an inadequate truck to make it less terrible.

Second, will putting a short bed TC on a long bed truck throw off the COG too much so the front end of the truck is too light?

Thanks for your input!
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer
7 REPLIES 7

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
d3500, that is a great storage solution! Beats the hitch carrier I hauled all over the country!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Basically most campers that are 9' or less long are considered short bed campers, but a lot of them will fit all the way forward in a long bed, unlike the pic above. If they have storage or a generator mounted down in the wing/overhang area then they may be "short bed only" or sit back like the pic above.
Bottom line, anything from a pop up to a double slide 11' camper will fit in the back of the truck. Depends what your "must have" features are, and what the wife will live with, lol!
Many variables in what a person is comfortable with hauling.
I'd recommend finding a couple you think you like and get the "real world" weights from a forum like this and experiences/mods required to haul it.
I wouldn't have had a clue what my camper weighed before buying it based on the stated weight online and on the vin tag without researching it here
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
Alrighty, looks like I need to look for something way under my payload and allow $1,500 for Stableloads and other suspension bits.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
~snip~
A short bed camper will have the same COG in a long bed or short bed, but there will be a gap between the camper and cab if you use a short bed camper. SOme people do not like this while others use it for external storage.

Bedlam is correct. COG relative to the rear bumper is the same regardless of a short bed or long bed camper- my COG is about 2" forward of the rear axle- same as on a short bed truck. I am doing the SB camper on a LB truck... that extra space is welcome for storage and for my generator:

I built a simple frame to place between the front of the camper and the truck bulkhead. It is custom fit to keep my generator in place.

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
There is no rule of thumb. In fact it is very rare that a TC does not exceed the factory payload rating of the truck carrying it.

If you come anywhere near your truck's payload capacity, you will usually feel the need for some sort of suspension help regardless. This is to reduce the rear end sag that you normally wouldn't worry about if you were, for example, hauling a pallet of cinder blocks to the job site.

What many people do is go by the axle weight ratings of the truck. That's usually limited by tires on the rear axle, so if someone is wanting more, they simply upgrade the tires and add more suspension modifications.

So in a nutshell the ratings don't mean a thing. Just do what feels good, and if it don't feel good, throw parts at it.

I'm one of those rare occurrences where I'm not exceeding any rating on my truck. By a lot. Not by choice, necessarily. I was looking for a 2500HD truck, and this one fell in my lap. I was looking for a larger hard side camper, and this one fell in my lap. Been running this rig for 5 years and it does the job. I'm not fussy, and when I'm not camping the truck will tow or haul just about anything.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most people say allow 1000-1500 lbs for what you carry. Also, Fords typically come with a Ford recommended truck camper weight. For yours, it is probably around 3000.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
Unless you go for most basic TC without a slide, expect to be over your GVWR. Most campers with a slide will be about 4000 lbs once you load supplies and water.

Your biggest limit on the truck are the tires and rims, so you will want to measure the weight on the rear axle empty to get an idea of how heavy you can go without upgrading to 19.5" wheels.

Without the camper package, your truck does not have a rear stabilizer bar - Look into Hellwig's BigWig. The suspension will most likely compress enough that the rear will sag - Adding TorkLift upper and lower StableLoads will allow you to carry most reasonably sized TC's with out the need for air bags.

You will need remove any plastic bed liner you are using but in a thin rubber mat - This is the bottom of the TC does not slide around. My preference is for the frame mounted tiedowns made by Torklift, but some people are happy with the body mounted HappiJack.

A short bed camper will have the same COG in a long bed or short bed, but there will be a gap between the camper and cab if you use a short bed camper. SOme people do not like this while others use it for external storage.

I'm sure you will have more questions, but this will get you thinking...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD