cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding A Couch to Our Lance Camper

Racorman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 model Lance 1055 (10’ 11”). Our friend has the same model but ordered a couch as opposed to the dinette option. Ours has the dinette option but I decided to do a simple mod. I went down to our local upholstery shop and had them make extra cushions that form a couch. If we want to return to the dinette, I just remove 2 cushions and raise the table. The dinette table also has a leaf, which makes it longer.

AKA..... 56Nomad
2012 Itasca 30' Class A
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler
17 REPLIES 17

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh steve68steve. What a great bit of prose. We had a ball reading your post. Course we love satire, especially when it knocks one out of the ball park like yours did.

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of staring at the bathroom wall on the sofa, what about reading a good book? I would rather read a book kicked back on a sofa than bunched up at a dinette table.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Racorman wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
I face out the back where the windows are, have not watched TV in over ten years.

Buzz....... but you wrote:
I rarely watch TV (6-7 times a year)

:h

Wife says come in here and watch this and I say yes dear. That lasts 5 to 10 minutes

but as far as me turning it on to watch something no.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job on the mod! Really looks sharp!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

Racorman
Explorer
Explorer
steve68steve wrote:
Full disclosure: I'm a TC couch lover.

Whenever I hear this "couch makes you stare at the wall" or "stare at the bathroom door" thing, I picture someone sitting bolt upright, staring straight ahead. Minutes turn into hours, the image of the featureless wall burns itself into the sitter's consciousness. It's like a train wreck - they can't look away. Their brains stewing in boredom, their eyes glazing in atrophy. It's that wall... that DAMNED WALL! I HATE you, wall!

But hark!! Salvation!! They have but to rotate their body 90 degrees: a enjoyable leisure activity once again replaces the unblinking hell that was facing a different direction. Instead of that featureless SIDE wall, they can finally enjoy the bliss that is... staring at the BACK wall.. or - be still, heart - could it be? ,,, the side of the fridge!?! That view kicks the PANTS off staring at a door.

I've spent some hours on my TC couch. Usually watching a movie, sometimes looking out the window, laying down lengthwise, reading, etc. Thankfully at no point my gaze became locked on the wall opposite me - it's a living hell I've thus far managed to escape.

😉

Steve,

Thanks for your moral support and words of Salvation... I really try to be nice to couch curmudgeons :B
AKA..... 56Nomad
2012 Itasca 30' Class A
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler

Racorman
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
I face out the back where the windows are, have not watched TV in over ten years.

Buzz....... but you wrote:
I rarely watch TV (6-7 times a year)

:h
AKA..... 56Nomad
2012 Itasca 30' Class A
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler

steve68steve
Explorer
Explorer
Full disclosure: I'm a TC couch lover.

Whenever I hear this "couch makes you stare at the wall" or "stare at the bathroom door" thing, I picture someone sitting bolt upright, staring straight ahead. Minutes turn into hours, the image of the featureless wall burns itself into the sitter's consciousness. It's like a train wreck - they can't look away. Their brains stewing in boredom, their eyes glazing in atrophy. It's that wall... that DAMNED WALL! I HATE you, wall!

But hark!! Salvation!! They have but to rotate their body 90 degrees: a enjoyable leisure activity once again replaces the unblinking hell that was facing a different direction. Instead of that featureless SIDE wall, they can finally enjoy the bliss that is... staring at the BACK wall.. or - be still, heart - could it be? ,,, the side of the fridge!?! That view kicks the PANTS off staring at a door.

I've spent some hours on my TC couch. Usually watching a movie, sometimes looking out the window, laying down lengthwise, reading, etc. Thankfully at no point my gaze became locked on the wall opposite me - it's a living hell I've thus far managed to escape.

😉
2013 Travel Lite 960RX
2001 Ford F350 Diesel Super Cab Long Bed

ck1
Explorer
Explorer
This is exactly what i am going to do mine. I made the mistake of ordering my 1055 with a sofa and hate it. Stare at bathroom wall when sitting there eating and hardly any room to exit the camper when the sofa is in bed mode. Wifey likes so its a go. Thanks for sharing. My ne project
2003 3500 Heavy Duty quad Cab 2wd SLT CTD DRW Auto 4.10
2008 Lance 1055
68 MBZ 280SL Roadster...
47 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe
67 ford Falcon
91 Jeep Cherokee
95 Jeep Wrangler
photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/ck1105

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Racorman
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
nice mod, but I don't know if I want to sit there and stare at my bathroom door.

Buzzcut....... You previously wrote on another string: RE: Dinette Benches or Sofa
'I don't use the couches at our home, we have no recliners either. My wife likes to lounge on the bed at home and in the TC to read, use her laptop or watch TV. I sit at the kitchen table with my laptop both at home and in the TC and I rarely watch TV (6-7 times a year).”

I guess you really don’t like couches :h We have a nice size TV in our Lance and both my wife and I enjoy watching it in the evening. We don't plan on watching the bathroom door, but rather cuddling on our new couch and watching the new movie releases on Dish Network :B
AKA..... 56Nomad
2012 Itasca 30' Class A
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Like this better than our dinette setup.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice mod.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
nice mod, but I don't know if I want to sit there and stare at my bathroom door.

Racorman
Explorer
Explorer
bilmarde wrote:
We have an Okanagan with two slides and live in it most of the year. Spending night after night sitting in a dinette was something we did not look forward to. We did a simple mod. We removed all the cushions and table and base. I had a 4x8 3/4 inch piece of plywood cut to cover the entire area including the seats. We applied peel and stick tile to the plywood. I will admit it is a little high but there was plenty of headroom to put two wall hugger lazyboy chairs up there. Since there are two slides there is plenty of room to recline. It works well for us.

We'd love to see some photos........:)
AKA..... 56Nomad
2012 Itasca 30' Class A
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler