cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced shock absorber quest

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm looking for first hand experience reports from users that have employed an advanced shock absorber system for a truck camper (more than off road).
Shocks such as the Fox Reservoir Adjustable or a dual mounted shock system.

I currently have Rancho 9000's and set them at "9" on the rear axle.
This is a comfortable ride and adequate handling but I sense a small amount of "spongieness" at times.
If Rancho's had a setting for "12" or higher it might provide a more firm feeling.

Thus the line of thought that dual shocks or something better than the single, Rancho, Bilstien, KYB etc. might provide improvement.

Anyone use a dual or reservoir system such as?:

OR
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats
12 REPLIES 12

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
skanj0 wrote:
I have Icon 2.5 CDC reservoir shocks. Work great with the camper (Lance 845) when set at highest setting. When camper is off I set at 4 in the front and 3 in the back.

Interesting - price point is reasonable too.
https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/_mailpress_mailing_list_icon-mailing-list-1/icon-cdc-compression...
I wonder it they would be adequate for a TC running 14,000 pounds?

I think what you linked to here is an "upgraded valve" for $135.00. you still have to buy the shock it appears?
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
skanj0 wrote:
I have Icon 2.5 CDC reservoir shocks. Work great with the camper (Lance 845) when set at highest setting. When camper is off I set at 4 in the front and 3 in the back.

Interesting - price point is reasonable too.
https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/_mailpress_mailing_list_icon-mailing-list-1/icon-cdc-compression...
I wonder it they would be adequate for a TC running 14,000 pounds?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

skanj0
Explorer
Explorer
2016 F350 SRW, Diesel, FX4, CCSB
Icon 2.5 CDCs
Icon 2.5” Coil Springs
Add a Leaf in Main Pack and Twin Auxiliary Springs
Custom rear Sumo Springs
Edge CTS Monitoring System
Toyo AT3 295/65/20
2023 Arctic Fox 865 with Victron galore
2 Ga Charging System

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I have no problem with my KYB Mono Max shocks. They are doing well and notice no wear after 10 yrs on the truck.

I believe money and time that goes to keeping it simple is better spent.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
egarant's excellent post addresses the problem.

If you have adjustable shocks, try setting them at the lowest setting (with the camper loaded) and THEN you will KNOW.
That is the "mushy" feeling that egarant refers too. (I call that feeling "spongie" handling.)

When the shocks are set up to "9" (their highest setting) the "spongie" feeling goes away.
However, under ALL road conditions, there is still a bit of "sponginess" felt at times.

Setting number "9" is not quite enough. In fact, it seems a bit naive to think that a single set of Bilsteins or Rancho shocks will suffice for ALL truck camper rigs.

Again, I have to thank egarant for that first hand experience post.
The remaining question (to my mind) is whether a dual pair of rear adjustable shocks would accomplish the same.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
Shock absorbers do not support weight, so if your suspension is too soft, changing them is not going to fix the problem, nor will installing more shock absorbers.

I think it depends on what problem OP is trying to solve. For sure, sway and bump recovery is better with better shocks.

Valving is more important than piston area. The question here isn't whether a suspension would perform better with better components, but rather, what constitutes "better"?

If fade is the problem or lack of damping in a certain scenario, certainly bigger or differently valved shocks are in order.

But if the problem is sway (even with anti-sway bars in place), the springs are just too soft.

And a different shock isn't going to fix that.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
twodownzero wrote:
Shock absorbers do not support weight, so if your suspension is too soft, changing them is not going to fix the problem, nor will installing more shock absorbers.

I think it depends on what problem OP is trying to solve. For sure, sway and bump recovery is better with better shocks.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
You're going to want to post more information about your setup. It sounds like your truck is overloaded. Shock absorbers do not support weight, so if your suspension is too soft, changing them is not going to fix the problem, nor will installing more shock absorbers.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
egarant wrote:
I have a set of the FOX 2.5 Factory Series Reservoir - DSC Adjuster and their steering stabilizer.

Here is a link to my post on the subject: Suspension Upgrade

I have tried OEM, Monroe and Rancho 9000 shocks, the current FOX 2.5' are by far the best. Just wish they didn't cost as much as they do.

Thanks for that link/report. I'll see if there's a suspension shop local to me for additional information. The Fox is EXPEN$IVE!
I suspect that a pair of Rancho 9000's for each side of the rear axle could accomplish the same thing.

Side note: A "mushy" feeling is very noticeable when the Rancho's are set to a low number with the camper on. Setting the Rancho's up to maximum makes the ride greatly better. Even so, I feel that a little more stiffness in the shocks would provide a better ride and handling. Thus this inquiry.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a set of the FOX 2.5 Factory Series Reservoir - DSC Adjuster and their steering stabilizer.

Here is a link to my post on the subject: Suspension Upgrade

I have tried OEM, Monroe and Rancho 9000 shocks, the current FOX 2.5' are by far the best. Just wish they didn't cost as much as they do.
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
I have 9000's and noticed the same, till I installed lower stableloads, that took that feeling out.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you using air bags and are the overloads making contact with the bump stops? I really like my Bilsteins, but I don't know if that will fix it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member