cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody regret buying too much truck?

interceptor15
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently purchased a new Skyline Ecocamp 20BH. It is a small travel trailer, 4600 pounds loaded with a 700 pound tongue weight. I live in an area with mountains. I would eventually like to haul bikes, people, kayaks, and whatever else I want. I also pull around a 4000 pound boat. Payload is more of my concern than maximum towing weight, as I have fairly light toys. I would like to be able to take some long trips with my trailer in the future.

I've been looking at Ford crew cabs with the 3.5 liter ecoboost. They have around a 2000 pound payload. However, they are very expensive.

I can pick up an F250 or Ram 2500 diesel for roughly $5000 more than the Ford 1/2 ton. I can also pick a gas 3/4 ton for about the same price as the half ton.

I plan on keeping this truck for a while, and will also use it for other recreational activities without pulling anything.

I'm not pulling 20,000 pounds and a lot of the diesel guys laugh at me when I tell them I'm looking at a diesel for my light trailers.

I know about maintenance costs, diesel costs, and the differences in gas mileage. I'm trying to see if anybody has any reason I would regret buying a 3/4 ton diesel or 3/4 gasser for my tow vehicle?
76 REPLIES 76

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
No. Went 1 ton here and I drive it in the city all the time. But then I picked a ccsb srw, because I knew I would be driving in the city and using it as the family wagon. Buy with your needs today and some buffer along with a realistic eye to the future (how long will you really keep the vehicle and what will you do with it in that time realistically). Ground your assumptions. I plan for this vehicle to give me a minimum 15 year service life. In about 3 to 5 more years it will go from daily driver to dedicated tower, family hauler, and winter rig. Many buy new vehicles every 5 years.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Go big! You WILL buy a larger in about 3 years and be thankful to have a TV to handle it.

Wow, I'm glad I didn't follow this advice back in 2007. 8 years later, still camping in the same camper, pulling with the same truck. And I've had two kids added to the equation over the last 4 years.

Only you can predict your personality and the likelihood of upgrading in short order. It's not my style, but it may be yours.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
No
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Bellpr
Explorer
Explorer
I don't recommend buying a freightliner to tow a tear drop trailer, just because you may upgrade someday. However Don't buy a truck that just meets your trailer and gear weight. I would suggest getting a truck that can tow your trailer and gear and have some capabilities left over. if your trailer and gear weighs 8500 lbs, don't get a truck that can handle 9000 lbs. looks for something at 11000+ lbs. give your self extra capacity for people and stuff in or on the truck too. You never regret that little extra capacity for some hills and passing/merging exercises.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
AZ friend got rid of his F450 for a F350 SRW. Rides better, handles the trailer as well and has more power and a lot better daily driver.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
Too much truck will beat the crapola out of you, your cargo and trailer. I prefer the truck that fits my needs. Same with hammers. You don't buy a sledge hammer to drive finishing nails because you might drive a railroad spike some day in the future. That is unless you need the sledge hammer to prop up your man card. My F250 with it's lethargic 310hp gas V8 fits our needs perfectly. It's the first truck I've owned that I'm not anxious to trade for some reason or another.

Now that is the PERFECT analogy.

Love my GMC 1/2 ton max tow - makes a great DD and can still tow and haul what many 3/4 tons of yesteryear can and even a few today.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ib516 wrote:
I think the best advice is to buy:
- what you want
- what you need now
- what will fit your future needs

That's the catch 22. What you need now and what will fit your future may very likely be 2 different trucks.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Danattherock wrote:

I will caution you about one thing, however obvious it may be. Folks with diesels will tell you to buy diesels. Folks with gassers will tell you to buy a gasser. It eludes me, but the truth is people are full of ... and simply try to justify their own purchases. Irregardless of what that may be, and with little regard for what you actually need. 4200 lb trailer?? Needs a diesel?? What a joke. Dan

One of the best answers ever.

One of the worst is:

"If can't afford it, you should find another hobby". Very discouraging and condescending words to newbies or young couples just starting out who want to get into rving. There is something for everyone.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Too much truck will beat the crapola out of you, your cargo and trailer. I prefer the truck that fits my needs. Same with hammers. You don't buy a sledge hammer to drive finishing nails because you might drive a railroad spike some day in the future. That is unless you need the sledge hammer to prop up your man card. My F250 with it's lethargic 310hp gas V8 fits our needs perfectly. It's the first truck I've owned that I'm not anxious to trade for some reason or another.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone feels they have to much truck, Im in the market for 3/4 ton quad cab diesel, short bed with low miles. Wifey likesthe Ram and GMC the best. Our wonderful TV has recently passed 205,000 miles and we need to be thinking about placing her out to pasture...Just PM me!
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
IdaD wrote:
interceptor15 wrote:
I've recently purchased a new Skyline Ecocamp 20BH. It is a small travel trailer, 4600 pounds loaded with a 700 pound tongue weight. I live in an area with mountains. I would eventually like to haul bikes, people, kayaks, and whatever else I want. I also pull around a 4000 pound boat. Payload is more of my concern than maximum towing weight, as I have fairly light toys. I would like to be able to take some long trips with my trailer in the future.

I've been looking at Ford crew cabs with the 3.5 liter ecoboost. They have around a 2000 pound payload. However, they are very expensive.

I can pick up an F250 or Ram 2500 diesel for roughly $5000 more than the Ford 1/2 ton. I can also pick a gas 3/4 ton for about the same price as the half ton.

I plan on keeping this truck for a while, and will also use it for other recreational activities without pulling anything.

I'm not pulling 20,000 pounds and a lot of the diesel guys laugh at me when I tell them I'm looking at a diesel for my light trailers.

I know about maintenance costs, diesel costs, and the differences in gas mileage. I'm trying to see if anybody has any reason I would regret buying a 3/4 ton diesel or 3/4 gasser for my tow vehicle?

I went through the same thought process you're going through, and you can see the result in my sig. At the end of the day there just wasn't enough cost difference between a properly outfitted half ton versus a HD diesel. I looked at all my options and the three finalists were a HD payload max tow F150, a powerstroke F250 or a Cummins Ram. Newer HD trucks are perfectly comfortable as daily drivers so to me it was a no-brainer. There's really no downside to it.

I went diesel versus gas because the cost difference is a wash in the end, and I prefer the performance you get with the diesel. The good fuel economy and improved range is a nice bonus.

If I ever feel bad about not getting a half ton, I can always take my wife's Pilot for a spin around the block to get it out of my system. :B

I agree at the end of the day a 3/4 ton truck is not much more expensive than a properly equipped Eco Boost. The 3/4 ton truck will make a better towing platform vs.the 1/2 ton. Buying the 3/4 ton now will help you avoid playing the upgrade game later
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Bedlam
My 5500 is too much truck for a daily driver in the city, but it's perfect for my current and future use hauling a heavy truck camper while towing an enclosed trailer. If I needed a city car, I would be looking at the Smart which is half the width and third the length of my 5500. But then again I'm not just pulling a low profile motorcycle trailer when I go camping. Choose what works best for you with some reserve capacity available for upgrades later.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2009 gmc 1/2 5.3 with 51,255 miles. I love my truck. upgraded tires, camper shell. I have been pulling my 34 ft trailer loaded 6400 lbs. have 2 kayaks on top. have traveled all over CA and Oregon. love my truck.
I am upgrading to 10,000 lb 5th so I will trade my truck in on a new 3500 CC diesel. my truck never has a problem pulling or stopping. yes I downshift when going up a long hill, but on this 4000 mile trip I have averaged 12.9 so far. towing usually 10-12 running around 15-18 freeway 19-23. so I do not think you need a diesel. they are only wanting to give me 1700 for mine, so I think you could find something to buy for no more than 20,000 that will do the trick.
good luck
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I really really like my diesel 3500. But that is because I use a truck camper that weighs 3k+. Then I also pull my boat behind which is 3500 pounds which can go higher than that when I cheat and fill it up with gear. If not using the truck camper I pull my 12k 5th wheel. Or sometimes my dump trailer. Which can also get up to 12k loaded. My payload is right at 4000 pounds. I have had many chevy 1500 gassers, F-250 diesels, chevy 2500 diesel and now my chevy 3500 diesel. My trucks changed mostly due to what I was towing. As things got bigger my truck has gotten bigger. Could have skipped a few steps along the way. Now if you plan to not go bigger then I think I would go with a 3/4 gasser myself. But if you do go bigger then you may very well kick yourself for not getting a one ton to begin with. Also I had short boxes for 20 years. I now have a long box---still can't figure out what the heck I was thinking when I bought short box trucks. I love that long box. But I have a huge garage and large shop to park it in. I understand some people don't have the space. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
ib516 wrote:
I think the best advice is to buy:
- what you want
- what you need now
- what will fit your future needs

Agreed. All the comments aside, this is the best.

I too agree with above but would preface the "buy what you want"...My dad use to alway's say, don't buy what you want... buy what you can AFFORD:)....If you can afford what you want, then you planned well....he was right
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet