cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic Fox 990 or 992 or Lance 1050s?!?!?

River4ever
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow travelers.!! I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel and I recently equipped the truck with Ride Rite FireStone Airbags and Tork Lift tie downs!!! Now the question is what TC to get?? My truck is 7750lbs full of fuel and the GVWR is rated @ 10,000lbs. I'm very interested in the arctic Fox 992 but know I'll be over weight with it or with the 990 or the Lance 1050s. What to do??? All advice and input would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!! BTW I will be pulling a 19' Jet Boat with what ever I set up and as far as passenger just myself, wife and 1 medium size dog

Mike
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Diesel
8 foot bed Crew Cab 4x4
Fire Stone Air Bags
Tork Lift Tie Downs
E Rated BFG All-Terrain Tires
3/4 ton
13 REPLIES 13

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
River4ever, FYI : the frame will handle things, like said... upgrade tires.

I have a GM SB 6.0 gasser .
My first tc was SB 8' slideout unit at approx. 4400-4500#
My 2 nd tc is a SB non slide , no basement at approx. +/- 3900# , depending what I carry along.
I could feel a very definite difference as soon as I loaded the new tc into the same truck. 500# or so will make a difference on your truck .
I could also feel the difference in crosswinds. I really don't know if that's because its lower in the bed , lighter in weight or a combo of the two.

With more miles under my belt now, I believe in having more truck than you need opposed to less truck, I wish I had a 350 from the start. I plan to add a spring pack to my 2500HD at this time.
Driving in a straight line down an interstate is one thing but if you need to undertake an emergency avoidance maneuver its a whole different ballgame.
You need the truck to take the camper not the camper take the truck.

If you plan to leave the camper on the truck . I would suggest to you, add a leaf if not two to the spring pack.
If not add Torklift stableloads so the overload spring makes contact with the main spring pack sooner. That way the truck will ride better when unloaded.
Add a rear sway bar, if you don't have one already.
Add better shocks like Rancho 9000's .
Air bags with individual air lines will balance the load side to side and level it front to back.

Good luck with your decision and have many safe trips, Bob

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at Eagle Cap, Arctic Fox, and Adventurer. They have larger tank capacities than some of the other brands and are of good quality.
Take some time to go see all the floorplans/models that interest you...pay careful attention to storage in/out, bath size, tank size , etc. Take notes/pics...don't rush...enjoy the hunt!

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
That 1050s is going to be over 4000 loaded

Still a lot lighter than what the AF's would be loaded. I bet those AF's would be pushing 5000.
1995 Ford F-350 DRW 7.5
2014 Lance 1050S

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to consider the Northwood Wolf Creek line as they're a bit lighter than the Arctic Fox line, but still have a lot of the nice features of the AF. With weights roughly 1,000 lbs. lighter they might just be the ticket. WC comparo
Mello Mike just weighed his and like many of us, ended up over GVWR by a tad and his is a 3500. MelloMike thread Good luck on your search!
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

Bedlam
kerry4951 wrote:
AF 811 is made for long and short

If you get the AF811 for a long box, you lose the option of additional storage or an on board generator. The rest of the specifications are the same. I believe Adventurer has the same setup for their long/short bed models. Going with these on a long bed, will reduce or eliminate the hitch extension. This will allow you to have the same hitch weight with less leverage on the rear.

I run a 2' extension to clear my camper and trailer.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
That 1050s is going to be over 4000 loaded
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
AF 811 is made for long and short
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

River4ever
Explorer
Explorer
The Arctic Fox 990, 992, & Lance 1050s are not my only choices!! All suggestions for my specific application are welcome!! Is the Arctic Fox 811 for short box or long or for either?? Thanks

Mike

Bedlam
I have the AF811 and tow heavy at the same time with my F250. The larger TC's will cut into that towing ability due to the available capacity for tongue weight on that hitch extension. Plan on upgrading to 19.5" wheels and adding additional spring capacity because you will be between 8000-9000 lbs on the rear axle when fully loaded and hitched.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
If you have to keep your truck and those 3 campers are the only ones you would consider then go with the Lance because it is much lighter than the Arctic Foxes. If it were me, with your truck I would be looking at non slide 8 footers.
1995 Ford F-350 DRW 7.5
2014 Lance 1050S

My_Blue_Heaven
Explorer
Explorer
broncobran68 wrote:
A dually or a smaller camper would be the best option.

X2
2001 F350 Lariat CC 4WD 7.3 PSD dually, chipped, 4" SS exhaust, 350 hp, Rancho 9000's, front receiver, front & rear Roadmasters
2009 Arctic Fox 990S, storm windows, Cummins/Onan, FastGuns, Torklifts

broncobran68
Explorer
Explorer
Well I like the AF 992 best. In fact, I just bought one to go along with my jet boat. But, all of those campers will weigh around 5000lbs wet. Not only will you be exceeding your GVWR, but probably also your RAWR and your tires. Overloading the tires is unacceptable. I would bet you'll need 19.5s to pull this off as well as more suspension mods. A dually or a smaller camper would be the best option.

Coastal_Wandere
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Lance 992 and love it, but i have it on a SRW F350 Diesel. It is heavy and may be a tad heavy for your truck. Just my 2 cents.