Axle recalls

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of em.
Report: ‘NHTSA’ Releases Latest RV Recalls List
Print Print
October 8, 2018 by RVBusiness Leave a Comment

Editor’s Note: The following is the latest RV recall list compiled by the National Highway Safety Association (NHTSA).

• Grand Design RV, LLC (Grand Design) is recalling 997 2019 Grand Design Reflection, Imagine and Transcend travel trailers. These axles may be missing inner bearings on the hubs, which can cause the bearing to burnout or cause the hub to overheat. For additional information click here.

• Forest River Inc. is recalling 935 2019 Coachmen Catalina and Apex travel trailers and Forest River Shasta, Wildwood, Salem, Vibe, Sierra, Sandpiper, XLR and Prime Time travel trailers. The axles may be missing inner bearing races on the hubs, which can cause the bearing to burnout or cause the hub to overheat. For additional information click here.

• Heartland Recreational Vehicles LLC is recalling 622 2019 Heartland Mallard, Pioneer, Sundance XLT, Wilderness, North Trail, Prowler and Trail Runner travel trailers. The axles may be missing inner bearing races on the hubs, which can cause the bearing to burnout or cause the hub to overheat. For additional information click here.

• Jayco Inc. is recalling 416 2019 Jayco White Hawk, Jay Flight, and Jay Flight SLX travel trailers. The axles may be missing inner bearing races on the hubs, which can cause the bearing to burnout or cause the hub to overheat. For additional information click here.

• Forest River Inc. is recalling 144 2019 Forest River East to West travel trailers. These vehicles may have been manufactured without a carbon monoxide detector, preventing occupants from being warned if carbon monoxide levels become too high. For additional information click here.

• Cruiser RV is recalling 129 2019 Embrace, Fun Finder Xtreme Lite, MPG, Radiance Ultra Lite and Shadow Cruiser Ultra Lite travel trailers. The axles may be missing inner bearing races on the hubs, which can cause the bearing to burnout or cause the hub to overheat. For additional information click here.

• Forest River Inc. is recalling 56 2019 Forest River Berkshire motorhomes. The affected vehicles have entry doors with latch rods that may be improperly adjusted, allowing the door to open while moving. For additional information click here.

• Grand Design RV is recalling 53 2019 Grand Design Reflection travel trailers, model 295RL. The outside 110V outlet was not correctly wired to a ground-fault (GFI) protected circuit. For additional information click here.

• Forest River Inc. is recalling 23 2019 Forest River East to West travel trailers, model 27KNS. Incorrect axle shackles may have been installed on these vehicles, allowing the tires to contact the floor or wheel well while moving. For additional information click here.

• Highland Ridge RV is recalling 22 2019 Highland Ridge Open Range Ultra Lite, Mesa Ridge, and Open Range Lite travel trailers. The axles may be missing inner bearing races on the hubs, which can cause the bearing to burnout or cause the hub to overheat. For additional information click here.
10 REPLIES 10

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
"May be" are the key words used in every one of the axle recalls noted.

Perhaps only a few or one race was missed for which Dexter issued the recalls to check all the parts assembled or shipped during a certain period. One thing is certain. If a transport driver hooks up to a new rig in Elkhart or Goshen, I doubt he is getting very far without an inner race, probably not going to make it out of the local area unless they're a total toolbag in the common sense department.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
stevemorris wrote:
unbelievable!!
a good reason for government mandated safety inspections before registration
some provinces in Canada have mandatory annual safety inspections(road safety related) including ALL trailers

We have mandatory safety inspection in Pennsylvania, so a new trailer is inspected before delivery and annually thereafter. My trailer was inspected when new and they missed the fact that one brake was not connected and an axle was bent. If you believe that government controls will solve anything, forget about it. I could write a book about the damage done to my vehicles by those idiots.

On an annual trailer inspection in PA the mechanic is only required to pull 1 wheel per side on a tandem axle setup to inspect the brakes. Then verify the breakaway operation by pulling the pin and checking one wheel. It's not meant to be an overall general maintenance inspection.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
The wording on the different recall letters from the RV manufacturers is a little misleading. The actual recall is based on missing inner races. Not bearings or seals.

These are on Axles manufactured by Dexter, not LCI.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
unbelievable!!
some provinces in Canada have mandatory annual safety inspections(road safety related) including ALL trailers

We have mandatory safety inspection in Pennsylvania, so a new trailer is inspected before delivery and annually thereafter. My trailer was inspected when new and they missed the fact that one brake was not connected and an axle was bent. If you believe that government controls will solve anything, forget about it. I could write a book about the damage done to my vehicles by those idiots.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
unbelievable!!
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
I assume these were all caught before trailer assembly at the factory?

sandstravels
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
I bet these are Lippert Axles

Didn't Lippert own Alco axles? Alco has since been picked up by Dexter.
2016 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD, 4x4, CC, D/A
2015 Nash 23d

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I bet these are Lippert Axles
Bob

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, it's really hard to fathom any of them actually hitting the road. I could see the tires looking fine without the race, but without the inner bearing? No way.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
For the "axle with missing bearings or race" issues, it's pretty pathetic that the person installing the wheels would not notice the hub flopping around when they installed the tires.

.. or that the RV would even make it in one piece from the factory to the dealer. Towing that first trip, sparks would fly for sure if a bearing or race was missing.
Bob