cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Box

KE6IRJ
Explorer
Explorer
So I built a battery box which fits inbetween the frame rails and on the battery tray.

1 3/8" sink strainers for vents out the back.
Wire grommets out the side for power, ground, and tongue jack.
Wood base to fasten batteries down.

Brian
2010 Keystone Springdale SG294BHSSR
2006 Ford F250 Superduty SB 4x4
18 REPLIES 18

KE6IRJ
Explorer
Explorer
I don't. I have power in storage.
Brian

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If I ever upgrade, I am doing the cutoff switch and a box long enough for 4 batteries. I thought I had one, but after careful evaluation, the wedge shape makes it impossible.
You could put the switch on the outside of the box like Barney did. How are you planning to cut power to the batteries when in storage?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

KE6IRJ
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I use two Battery Mats on the bottom of my battery box to absorb any acid that might escape and keep the box from eroding.
Barney

Great looking box.

If I ever upgrade, I am doing the cutoff switch and a box long enough for 4 batteries. I thought I had one, but after careful evaluation, the wedge shape makes it impossible.
Brian

KE6IRJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I would show you the finished product.

First, without the propane tanks in place.

and all buttoned up ready to hit the road.

Overall, the hardest part in the final steps was crimping the new battery cables inside. Since I had no white cable, I had to use red to keep black as the positive, but I think I will wrap it in white electrical tape I have some time.
Crimping 4ga. cable is tough, but with the use of a hammer and a brick inside the box, it done now and covered in heat shrink tubing.
Brian

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use two Battery Mats on the bottom of my battery box to absorb any acid that might escape and keep the box from eroding.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Another nuance about battery boxes: If you have one that is sealed on the bottom and the electrolyte spills into the bottom, having nowhere to go, what happens when the sealed box gets filled with rain water? In that case, you would then have a larger volume of water that is acidic.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
galexander wrote:
Drilling holes in the bottom of a battery box is a no-no. The boxes are to be contained in case your battery fluid overflows during charging or overfilling. Leaking battery acid is very dangerous to anyone around it, dogs, animals people, kids. Plus the corrosiveness of the fluid will corrode any metal or wiring connections and concrete. Think Safe.

BS. The alternative is a battery box full of water. Your automobile, RV, boat, motorcycle etc. etc... is no different and is not sealed or in a box that will not allow water to drain or acid to find its way out if it leaks. Acid leaking is a sign of poor maintenance, improper charging, defective wiring or a battery that needs replaced. Batteries in all my vehicles, boat, TT, motorcycle, do not leak acid. I do think safe, I suggest you think reasonable. As the OP stated there are already holes in the box which is needed and a good thing.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
galexander wrote:
Drilling holes in the bottom of a battery box is a no-no. The boxes are to be contained in case your battery fluid overflows during charging or overfilling. Leaking battery acid is very dangerous to anyone around it, dogs, animals people, kids. Plus the corrosiveness of the fluid will corrode any metal or wiring connections and concrete. Think Safe.
I drilled holes in the bottom of my plastic battery boxes to allow any rain water to drain out. Located the holes over a void between the trailer tongue frame. I also liberally sprinkled baking soda in the bottom of the boxes before replacing the batteries.

As for being unsafe, I don't think so. You don't see lead/acid batteries held in boxes under the hoods of most cars and trucks. What do you suppose happens with them during charging or overfilling?

I drilled holes in the bottom as well. The idiots have been using marine battery boxes on RV's for years now. These marine boxes have vents on the top that let rain water pour in. I use silicone caulk and seal the holes.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
galexander wrote:
I drilled holes in the bottom of my plastic battery boxes to allow any rain water to drain out. Located the holes over a void between the trailer tongue frame. I also liberally sprinkled baking soda in the bottom of the boxes before replacing the batteries.

As for being unsafe, I don't think so. You don't see lead/acid batteries held in boxes under the hoods of most cars and trucks. What do you suppose happens with them during charging or overfilling?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work.
Leave it a "one-off". Others on here can only wish and be jealous, lol.

I'm really impressed with the grommets. Most guys wouldn't think of that.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

KE6IRJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Happy to build and sell, but shipping would be a disaster ha ha
Brian

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks nice. Congratulations

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
This is super impressive. Well thought out. Great suggestions by others
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)