cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Light on Monitor

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Keystone Hideout travel trailer. On the gauge monitor, the tank monitors are working. The battery doesn't show any lights. All 12 volt items are working fine, awning, thermostat for a/c, water heater starting OK, etc. Any suggestions what to look for before I call a mobile RV tech ($$$)? Batteries (2) have water, just checked the other day.
7 REPLIES 7

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bobbo wrote:
What is "voltage at rest under load"? I thought "at rest" meant "no load."

Thanks for catching that.

I meant rest the battery for 24 hours, then test voltage. Now put a load on (30 amps or so) and test voltage again.

Sorry to be "unclear".
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is "voltage at rest under load"? I thought "at rest" meant "no load."
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
LadyRVer wrote:
I checked the 12 volt plug in the trailer with a 12 volt meter. It read 13.3. I am plugged into shore power. I am thinking I also need to shut the 30 amp breaker off and then check it again? I don't have a multimeter.. yet.

A volt meter will tell you what you need to know.

I'd measure

voltage unloaded

voltage loaded (fridge on 12 dc or all the lights on)

voltage at rest (24 hours of no load and no charging)

voltage at rest under load.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I checked the 12 volt plug in the trailer with a 12 volt meter. It read 13.3. I am plugged into shore power. I am thinking I also need to shut the 30 amp breaker off and then check it again? I don't have a multimeter.. yet.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
At first blush, the installed battery monitor might be faulty. Use a multimeter to test the battery with and without the battery disconnected. You can get an online chart of various state of charge voltages for the battery type. Battery should be tested โ€œat restโ€, after being disconnected from any charger for a while. Check its voltage with the charging operating, should be over 13.6 VDC.
I bought a budget shunt that came without connecting cable ;( Awaiting the cable from Amazon. My first LiFoPO4 battery has Bluetooth monitoring so I can check and by proxy, the second battery that is in parallel with the first.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions, Pianotuna. Will do before I call mobile RV tech.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

As the battery lights are a crude and inaccurate method of capacity, I'd upgrade to a volt meter (one of the type that fits a cigarette lighter).

If that is not "good enough" then move to a meter that has a shunt which is about the best that can be found. Victron makes an excellent unit.
Regards, Don