cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Be careful when replacing Porch Light Bulb

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
We had our Porch Light Bulb burn out, went to Auto Parts store for a replacement. Old bulb had no markings and was single filament, so replaced it with an automotive single filament......wrong move, it was too high of a wattage and started to melt the lens cover. Got out my flashlight and could barely see the engraved writing on the inside of the assembly instructing to use a 1003 Bulb:S. Since then, ordered a new LED assembly, and will either replace entire unit, or just use the lens cover.
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"
6 REPLIES 6

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
x
Michael, Suzy & Arnie Asada (Chihuahua)
'97 Viking Legend 2480
'19 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
Yup... low-voltage LED replacement is the way to go... LEDs are extremely energy efficient relative to every other commercially available lighting technology. There are several reasons for this to include the fact they waste very little energy in the form of infrared radiation (heat), and they emit light directionally (over 180 degrees versus 360 degrees which means there are far fewer losses from the need to redirect or reflect light). Plus, the new LEDs can last 50,000 to 100,000 hours or more. The typical lifespan for an incandescent bulb, by comparison, is 1-5% as long at best (roughly 1,200 hours).
Michael, Suzy & Arnie Asada (Chihuahua)
'97 Viking Legend 2480
'19 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I prefer to use LED replacements. They run far cooler.

This. Get the brightest LED you can find that will fit. It will run cooler and it'll probably be brighter to boot.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2, pianotuna.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I prefer to use LED replacements. They run far cooler.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
If you need/want a new lens then get a whole new fixture, or will be more waterproof.