cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bed end support conversion

b-wilimek
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I am a new member but have gotten some good tips on mods from this site. We own a 2001 Palomino Stampede S17 hybrid with the pole supports for the bed ends. I would like to convert to the newer style cable supports. I think I have figured out the logistics of supporting the cable attachments to the beds, but would like feedback on if this is feasible. The reasom for doing this is the time savings of simply raising/lowering the beds as opposed to pulling out the poles, setting them in place on the frame, lowering the beds while attaching the poles under the beds, etc. The opposite of this proceedure is then required to reverse the proceedure when done camping. I have been in contact with a Palomino dealer and they were not very flexible in saying it couldn't be done as the older doors have a lot less metal laminated in than the newer(cable support)ones and there would not be enough strength in the doors. I have already replaced the older screw clamp latches for the doors with the newer cargo door ones, which saves a few minutes already. The less time it takes to set up, the more I have to enjoy camping. All that would be required would be 4 cables, 8 brackets and I would re-inforce the doors as necessary. What do you think? Can it be done?
1 REPLY 1

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
from this question being asked a number of times, all the manufacturers that responded, said a big NO.
the hybrids with cable supports, have bunk door frames/trailer structure engineered to support the cables. yours doesn't.
it would be the same as trying to convert a popup with pole supports, to the newer cable-supported popups.
totally engineered differently.

i wouldn't sleep on it.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes