cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper pads

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have been repairing wood jack pads for awhile - and am looking for a good solid pad for the jacks.

Found these on Amz - and one familiar with it - $80 seems high, but if I don't have to buy another one that breaks, would be worth it. ALso, it's 10x10... I see some cheaper ones that are lighter and smaller, 6x6, which seems too small to help in soft ground.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200426744_200426744

Or any other suggestions would be helpful ... thx guys -- BD
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
13 REPLIES 13

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
I use the 2x10 treated board also .... I cut them 12" and end up with a rectangle, but a little more surface area .... work great and cheap.
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my camper this is what I used under mine, Not only for camping but also when I unloaded it on my concrete pad at home. A little more expensive but work great.

High Lift Jack pads

I had to trim the edges a little to make room for the jack pads but by doing this it allowed the jack pad to drop into this area and made it very secure.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some good ideas here guys - thanks ... will figure it out this weekend. ๐Ÿ™‚ BD
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

Bedlam
What about squares cut from horse stall mats or old tires?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Would it be cost effective to go to the local steel yard and have 1/4 inch diamond aluminum plate cut into 4 12 inch squares? Easy to clean in the stream.

billyg
Explorer
Explorer
I use 2x10 treated lumber cut square. I place them crown up. Being treated there is nothing to do to them but wash off the dirt. I have had to replace one in three years. I just cut off another piece of my 2x10 Bill

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Check a lumber yard for some exterior plastic trim board . It usually comes in 3-1/2 to 11-1/4 inch width and from 3/4 to 1-1/2 inch thick . They might cut you 1/2 a length . Or scrounge some building projects near you for some scraps .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
towpro wrote:
why are they required at all?

We camp in wet land areas, and sometimes in the rain. Camper feet are only about five inches in diameter, and camper sinks on one side or the other, or just sinks in the muddy sand. I have wood pads about eight inches square that work well, they just don't hold up well. Like anything else made of wood, water damages it rather quickly.

I've sealed it, pained it with heavy duty paint - nothing lasts in the areas we camp. We're in the south east - humid, wet, mushy - at least where we want to camp - not on a concrete pad.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
why are they required at all?
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

ga80486
Explorer
Explorer
I've been thinking about 2 of these glued back to back.

DRIcore

Think it would last long?

rider997
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
Have been repairing wood jack pads for awhile - and am looking for a good solid pad for the jacks.

Found these on Amz - and one familiar with it - $80 seems high, but if I don't have to buy another one that breaks, would be worth it. ALso, it's 10x10... I see some cheaper ones that are lighter and smaller, 6x6, which seems too small to help in soft ground.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200426744_200426744

Or any other suggestions would be helpful ... thx guys -- BD

Not really answering your question, but if you laminate a piece of 2x8 (or 2x10) with 1/2" plywood, or simply laminate two pieces of 3/4" marine grade plywood, it'll be light, inexpensive, and much more durable than a simple solid piece of douglas fir.

I've seen the ones you linked to on Northern Tool and they seem to be pretty durable.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had that before, and it kept cracking / splitting when it dried out. Went to cabinet grade plywood, 8 ply doubled, and it keep buckling in the middle with weight. Plus, it warps a bit too

I've been repairing wood blocks for several years - and we're leaving on an extended CC trip - four months - and I don't want the hassle of fixing it again on the road. So, looking for an alternative - these look pretty stout, but pricey ... Thought maybe some of you guys might know a better vendor.

We camp a lot, and often around water or wet areas, so we get it in sloppy ground frequently ..
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
What do you mean by "repairing"?

2x8 or 2x10 wolmanized cut into 1ft chunks last pretty much forever. Haven't priced them lately but I would think an 8' board should run under $20.

Or if you don't mind replacing them every 3-4yrs, just go with standard lumber.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV