cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can someone explain in lamens term

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
I get so confused about how you guys figure out weights. I have a 06 6.0 f250( no jokes please) and I am trying to figure out what is the Hughes weight range fifth wheel or toy hauler I can look at. I know you look at the data plate on the truck but I am confused on what to do with the numbers and how you figure out what the pin weight should be
7 REPLIES 7

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
rtaylor0830 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
rtaylor0830 wrote:
what is the Hughes weight range fifth wheel
What is that?

Sorry heaviest weight
Thanks. We're starting to see a lot more posts with 'auto correct' words that apparently OP's don't catch when they post. You can go back and edit your original post if you wish.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
rtaylor0830 wrote:
I get so confused about how you guys figure out weights. I have a 06 6.0 f250( no jokes please) and I am trying to figure out what is the Hughes weight range fifth wheel or toy hauler I can look at. I know you look at the data plate on the truck but I am confused on what to do with the numbers and how you figure out what the pin weight should be

Old Biscuit is on the money.

If Gross Vehicle weight is not listed, take the Front Axle weight rating and add that to the rear axle weight rating.. That gives you Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

There should be an "Unladen" (aka "curb") weight rating on the same sticker, subtract the unladen weight from the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, the result is your available cargo weight..

Take the cargo weight, subtract driver, passenger(s) and any item you plan to haul in the truck from the cargo weight.

The result is the LEFT OVER AVAILABLE CARGO weight you can safely haul..

Your 5th wheel hitch will also chip away at your cargo so it needs to be considered also..

Personally, your most likely NOT going to have enough available cargo weight left for a 5th wheel trailer.

The 6.0 engine plus 4x4 takes a huge bite out of the available cargo you have.. I suspect empty your truck will be tipping the scales near 7K lbs. I have a 06 F250 Super Cab 4x2 with 5.4 gas and the unladen weight is 5565 lbs and Max GVWR is 9,000 lbs.

Gives me 3435 lbs of available cargo, if you have a crew cab along with the 6.0 and 4x4 you will have substantially less cargo weight to work with.

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
rtaylor0830 wrote:
What is that?

Sorry heaviest weight

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
rtaylor0830 wrote:

Actually it is pretty easy to find how much your pin weight can be. Find the GVWR of the truck. That is the max the truck is allowed to weigh. Then load the truck as you would for towing the RV. Full gas and all. Take it to the scales, weigh it, and subtract that weight from the GVWR. That number is the max weight your 5er pin weight can be.
Example. GVWR 8000lbs. Truck loaded with full gas, you and your traveling band. say 6800lbs. what is left is 1200lbs. That is the max your 5er pin weight can be. See. Easy
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Load that truck up ready to camp.....you, passengers, and stuff in cab, fuel etc.
Then go to a scale and get weighed.
Weigh ticket will have Front axle weight, rear axle weight, and truck total weight.

Now with those numbers......look at the data plate on your truck door.
FAWR, RAWR and GVWR. Subtract the weighed numbers form those ratings.

Now you know how much you can 'carry' as pin wet....before you reach RAWR, REAR TIRE MAX Load Rating (on sidewall of tire) and GVWR.

Look at 5vrs GVWR..use 20% as a guesstimate of what pin weight could be.
Do you have room for that weight on rear axle, tires and trucks total weight to carry that pin weight?

IMHO....F250-------12,000# GVWR trailer MAX
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you start looking load it up like your going camping and go to the scales. To that add 250 pounds for hitch 350 if its a short bed. Subtract that from the trucks GVWR found on the drivers door post. Now you have what you need to know.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
rtaylor0830 wrote:
What is that?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman