cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cannot maintain electric?

Sir_Buffalo
Explorer
Explorer
Continue to pop circuit breaker. First three days no issues. Day four one occurrence . Day five late afternoon through the night - had to reset about 4 or 5 times? Any recommendations?
Sir Buffalo!
2006 Zinger by Crossroads 27BHS
2010 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 5.7
13 REPLIES 13

Sir_Buffalo
Explorer
Explorer
My apology for never following up. When moving to a 50amp the problem subsided. That's all I an report. Not happy with the situation. No voltage issues.
Sir Buffalo!
2006 Zinger by Crossroads 27BHS
2010 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 5.7

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
What happened to the OP?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
More info. definitely needed but sounds like a voltage issue.

Pedestal breakers almost always trip rather than the 30 amp in the converter/panel inside. If the weather is warm enough, AC units are often the culprit. Many AC units running throughout a CG will drag down voltage and if the voltage drops too low, you may be drawing enough current to trip the pedestal breaker. AC units draw more current the lower the voltage gets. If the breaker trips later in the day, that's suggestive of low voltage due to AC units. 30 amp breakers can just be tired and in need of replacing - they are subjected to temp. & humidity extremes and more on/off cycles not seen in normal indoor locations.

30 amp receptacles in a pedestal get a LOT more use and abuse compared to 50 amps. Receptacles can be loose and/or have poor connection from pitting & dirt on contact surfaces, causing resistance which further reduces voltage inside an RV as well as the risk for overheating and a meltdown. If there is 50 amps available at a pedestal, use that along with an adapter. 50 amp pedestals are much less likely to have low voltage as well.

AC units have a high inrush starting current of 5-6 times the normal running current. If voltage gets too low, an AC unit can trip a breaker on startup. You would expect the 20 amp breaker in the converter/panel to trip but if a 30 amp pedestal breaker is tired and in need of replacement, that can trip instead. If the breaker is tripping on startup, try turning off as much as you can inside.

Poor contact on shore power cords can contribute to low voltage. Never plug in with the power on - turn the pedestal breaker off first. Your plug blades should be clean and shiny. If you have a detachable power cord, you can clean the blades on the inlet, but if the connector on the cord is pitted & dirty, there's not much you can do.

You should get a voltmeter and monitor voltage. Plug-in styles are available and an LED type would be better. A permanently mounted type would be a good choice and you can mount one where it's always visible.

Low campground voltage is a common problem, esp. in the summertime. The problem could lie with the AC unit, but that would be lower on my suspect list.

tvman44 wrote:
30 amp service is really inadequate in the 21st century with all the conveniences we now have & love so much. As a result we tend to over load the 30 amp breaker and the more it trips the weaker it gets. Also feel your 30 amp plug, very often it runs hot because the receptacle is worn out and not making a good tight connection causing voltage drop at the connection point and a lot of excessive heat.
tvman44 wrote:
Another good idea is to get into your breaker panel and make sure all connection are tight as they have a tendency to loosen up in a RV and will cause extra heat.

I disagree that 30 amps is inadequate. What is needed is for an owner to learn how to load manage. Plugging in a hair dryer while a coffee maker, toaster and MW are running is not a good idea. If you have an AC unit running, you have to pay even more attention to what you have running. Then there is the question of what voltage is like. When choosing appliances, get lower wattage ones if you can. Low voltage causes toasters, coffee makers, hair dryers, etc. to take longer which can lead to a 30 amp breaker tripping. Circuit breakers have an inverse time-current curve and for low overloads, can run for several minutes without tripping, allowing for short duration appliances to operate without tripping a breaker. Some mobile homes only have 30 amps and they manage okay, esp. considering they can be much larger than an RV.

I installed a permanent AC LED voltmeter and ammeter and the current rarely gets near 15 amps (without AC on). I also installed 1750 watts of permanent electric heat and a demand controller to shut the heat off (and back on) when needed. Have never once had a 30 amp breaker trip. If you try and run an 1875 watt hair dryer (like us), AC unit and toaster at the same time, you will trip a breaker.

A pedestal receptacle can often be loose and have poor contact but your shore power cord can also be part of the problem if you keep plugging in with the power on. Connections in an RV panel should not loosen up over time. The problem is that the factory does not always properly terminate the wires at a breaker. I found one completely loose in our panel because of bad workmanship. I have found many problems with 120 volt and 12 volt wiring in 3 TTs from poor factory work. Regardless of the cause, it is a good idea to check the terminations in your panel.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Another good idea is to get into your breaker panel and make sure all connection are tight as they have a tendency to loosen up in a RV and will cause extra heat. A fan is a good idea as the manufactures usually sandwich the panel in a small enclosed space causing heat build up. In real hot weather I usually leave the wood door on the panel compartment open to allow some heat escape. I have plans to install a fan, but I only think about it when I need it and we seldom use our RV in the real hot weather. I prefer camping say October thru June then stay home July thru September.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

dessa1930
Explorer
Explorer
this may be a temp solution but mine does same thing if my ac runs for a long time it seems my breaker box gets to hot and it trips

I put a small fan in front of my breaker box where air could get in there and that helped with mine tripping

it should have a fan in there but it may not be working or it may not be coming on soon enough

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Put your water and fridge to propane only. If the air is running use the hairdryer on low.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
All the following is based on the assumption it is the 30 amp breaker tripping. Since this is a common problem.
30 amp service is really inadequate in the 21st century with all the conveniences we now have & love so much. As a result we tend to over load the 30 amp breaker and the more it trips the weaker it gets. Also feel your 30 amp plug, very often it runs hot because the receptacle is worn out and not making a good tight connection causing voltage drop at the connection point and a lot of excessive heat. I have seem the 30 amp plugs actually melt. A 50 to 30 amp is a very good option if the 30 amp receptacle is worn out as I have never seen a worn out 50 amp receptacle in a pedestal. As advised check your line voltage, in the warm weather a lot of RV parks do not have adequate electrical power and line voltage drops to a level that is too low. Low line voltage makes motors like the A/C draw more current then they should and if too low will harm your compressor. You could switch your refrigerator and or water heater to propane to reduce the current draw. All this may be more than you wanted to know but I consider it vital to your problem if it is the 30 amp breaker popping.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are using to plug in ?
OEM 30 amp cord or are you running your own lightweight extension cord ?
If I use an extension cord, I use my 10 amp cord , going lighter, caused voltage problems.

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
You certainly need to provide more information. What is running (everything) when it pops? We had an old toaster that was getting bad that would pop breakers.
I carry a 30-50A adapter with so if I see on a really hot day only 30A rigs and all the AC is running if I have any issues with supply I change to the other circuit.
This would not be your solution. As mentioned it is a draw problem. You probably have a weak breaker. Especially if it is the main popping.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Solution to tripping circuit breaker = reduce the load.

For more detailed assistance provide more detailed information.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
You don't post enough information to give you an answer.
But, when we consistently pop breakers, we turn off the electric water heater. This usually solves the problem. People often forget it is on and then run the microwave and a/c or two other large load appliances, overloading the system.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to need more info. Line voltage, how many things are being run on electric, etc
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
I'm assuming this is the main (30A) breaker? It will probably keep opening as it gets hot (weaker).
Has this happened before?
Is there low voltage (<105 volts) where you're plugged in?
Is the shorepower breaker opening also?
Do you have another power pedestal, generator or other source of power?
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot