cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Climbing onto the tail gate.

Go_for_Broke
Explorer
Explorer
I am putting a S&S 8SC into a F-350 short bed (6.5). With the tail gate open (8.5).

The height of the upper surface of the tail gate from the ground is approximately 33?.

Any ideas of how to conveniently get on and off the tail gate (and the TC)?

FYI – I am 75? and the wife is 64? tall and guess who it had better work for!

Thanks Y’all,
14 REPLIES 14

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a alum stepladder that rides inside the camper on the floor , open the door and there it is .

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Man, 33" is pretty high for an older person to lose his balance and fall. I can guarantee you, my wife would have me build a solid set of portable steps with 5-6" risers. It might end up being 4' long, but it's more stable than a cut up ladder or anything like that. Broken bones in people our age don't mend fast.

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
I am 73 and not at all muscular. I can rather easily get the tailgate on and off the truck by myself.

Great for you Jim but what the heck does this have to do with this post???

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Go wrote:
Haven't been around long enough to have an opinion on the TG on/off. Maybe I will post a separate question on this topic.

Suggest trying the search feature.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Go_for_Broke
Explorer
Explorer
JimK - When I am 73 I hope that I can report the same!

My primary concern is the "Better Half". Unfortunately, she is not able to get on/off a tail gate.

I was thinking about taking the tail gate off and putting on a Tommy Lift. Yes, it's that serious.

Haven't been around long enough to have an opinion on the TG on/off. Maybe I will post a separate question on this topic.

Thanks Y'all,

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
I am 73 and not at all muscular. I can rather easily get the tailgate on and off the truck by myself.

He made no mention of removing the tailgate
Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
narcodog wrote:
Take the tail gait off, it's not needed.

You know this how?
I don’t need a tail gait either, but the OP may need a tail gate.

And your post does nothing to help answer his original question. Removing the tail gait or gate doesn’t levitate him up into the camper!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go for Broke wrote:
I am putting a S&S 8SC into a F-350 short bed (6.5). With the tail gate open (8.5).

The height of the upper surface of the tail gate from the ground is approximately 33?.

Any ideas of how to conveniently get on and off the tail gate (and the TC)?

FYI – I am 75? and the wife is 64? tall and guess who it had better work for!

Thanks Y’all,

The guy I sold my old Lance 8.6 did the exact same thing putting it on a Dodge 3500 shortbed with tailgate down..He carried a portable step to get in and out and put a handle on the rear of the TC..

One of those folding rear aluminum steps anchored to the tailgate would work and be stable but I personally wouldn't do it..Then there are the hitch steps that would work with a short hitch extension...

The S&S is a great truck camper..Enjoy..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old milk crates work too.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I am 79, pushing 80. and that is why I don't own a truck.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Camper steps like these would attach to the camper just below the door.
Or ones like this. Storage and access maybe a problem.
Portable steps

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take the tail gait off, it's not needed.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi
The standard Torklift camper steps would work well, if you mounted the hangar for them on the top edge of your tailgate. You’d have to screw it into the tailgate, make sure that works if it’s a newer truck with a plastic cap on the tailgate.
Those are $400 or more though.
A good size step stool or small folding ladder would be cheaper and less convenient options.
You might be able to “hook” a cut down extension ladder on the end of the tailgate too, but these options are more like climbing up n down vs walking on stairs.
A fold out grab handle onthe camper would be very handy as well, since the camper is almost flush with the back of the tailgate I presume.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold