cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Confused

bigjoey38
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have the opportunity to buy a 2012 TM Mini 19RD or a 2014 Coachmen RV clipper ultra-lite 17 FQ TT.

They are pretty close to GVW and the cost is pretty close..

So just the wife and I and maybe the grandchild...

Hard choices maybe some input might help.
16 REPLIES 16

jonmad
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Coachmen Clipper for about a month. Nice camper with a great bathroom and queen bed but the only place to sit is the dinett. The only reason we traded it was our TV was a v-6 RAV4. Had no trouble towing or stoping it but with the short wheel base I wasn't comfortable above 55 mph. Ended up getting a bigger TV and then a bigger camper.

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the one the wife likes

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like campers with a full back bathroom, because where I camp the view is out the back. With the TM, the view would be out the back door and I prefer that.

Conversely, if you camp where the sites are close, back-to-back, your porch is going to be not far from their big back window, or their patio.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer tandem axles for CCC and towing stability.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
we bought a unit similar to the Coachman - a 16' KZ 16RBT. the biggest difference is that it is a hybrid with pop out beds front and back. Makes a 16' trailer feel much larger when parked and set up - and setting up is dead easy.

Ours is a 2013 model, and we paid about $11000 (lightly) used.

bigjoey38
Explorer
Explorer
I hear ya!

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
bigjoey38 wrote:
I can tell you I never though looking for a camper was going to be this tough.
So many brands, lay-outs, etc....

The curse/blessing of shopping in a very inventive market. I'm in sales of a different type and try to avoid showing customers more than 3 versions of the same product.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

bigjoey38
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you I never though looking for a camper was going to be this tough.
So many brands, lay-outs, etc....

bigjoey38
Explorer
Explorer
BubbaChris wrote:
Checking your other posts, I see your TV might be a Kia correct?

If so, the TM is probably going to be much more comfortable to tow.

Yes 2007 Kia Sorrento LX 4x4 - Tow 5,000 lbs

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Checking your other posts, I see your TV might be a Kia correct?

If so, the TM is probably going to be much more comfortable to tow.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

bigjoey38
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your input.... I have seen the Coachmen and its pretty nice... The TM seen by pics only... I guess there are pros and cons for both..

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
The biggest drawback to the Trail Manor is you have to set up the trailer every time you stop if you want to use it.

I will echo another poster in this thread. The huge plus of the TM is ease of pulling and slightly increased gas mileage.

The huge plus of the Coachmen is it's already to use when you stop. Think about that if it's raining when you stop for the night.

Before getting my current Koala, I had a Hi-Lo. It was nice in that when pulling the top dropped down to a height no higher than the cab of my pickup. I would still have it, except I could never come to grips with the idea should one of the lift cables break, I'd be SOL. But it was really nice to pull. It got and extra 1.5 miles to the gallon compared to my current trailer.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Go sit inside both and try to imagine yourself in there when it rains with all the grandkids and DW. Also, having to set up in that rain. Then, which would you chose.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
If you are like me, you will get real tired of the setting up and tearing down on the TM. And the storage is close to 0. But it will tow better and you will get better mileage. I would take the Coachmen in a heartbeat...for the convenience.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control