cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering an HTT. Where do I start my research?

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
(Those that also frequent the PUP forum will notice the cut and paste job I did. Turns out that instead of a PUP, we may be better suited to a HTT, so I'm starting a new thread here.)

The wife has admitted that if we could increase the level of comfort, she'd be willing to go camping more often. Our current set-up is a large tent with air mattresses. I'll admit, even I wake up stiff and sore.

So, we have the room to store a 20-25' foot long trailer on our property, and are budgeting $10-15k. AC and a porta-potty would be nice. Tow vehicle is a 1 ton truck. 3 season camping is our goal, nothing in the winter. We like being out in nature, and don't necessarily want to completely isolate ourselves inside when camping. We also have a 7 year old kid. I'm a big dude, 6' 5", 260lbs.

So: where do we start our research? There seems to be a lot of HTT manufacturers and models out there, and it's challenging, to say the least, wading through options.

Best brands? Must-have options?

Can y'all help a noobie out?
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum
54 REPLIES 54

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Now is the prime time for buying and selling. Fall is a better time to get a deal, but then you lose a whole season when you could be enjoying your trailer. Like bikendan, we had a 23SS for 7 years and loved it. They have changed to the u-shaped dinette which is very nice. Ours had the smaller standard and was fine with us. We only rarely had guests and usually ate outside. If you haven't checked out RVWholesalers, suggest you give it a look. Both our HTT and TT came from there and saved over $4000 on the HTT and more on the TT. Totally understand your feelings on the smoke odor....cannot stand it and you may mask it with cleaning products and having the upholstery cleaned, but it'll come back. Whether you are interested in RVW or not, request a price quote and it makes a good bargaining tool with local dealers. Good luck. You'll not find a better kitchen than the 23SS. The IKSS is awesome looking, but lacks in some functionality. Good luck.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
You will need to flush the pink of the water systems and sanitize with bleach. 6 hour soak, and then flush, flush, flush with fresh water. Additional attention needed to dial in the WDH hitch. Bring basic tool kits, extra fuses, and pick up some eternabond tape. Good luck and have fun!
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
So deposit has been placed on 2016 23IKSS. Sapphire, Cherry Cabinets, Night Shades, Power Tongue, Gas Oven, Hide-a-Bed, Raised Refer Fronts, Conv Pkg C, Power Awning with LED, Spare Tire, Slide Topper, Outside Grill, Heated Mattresses, Bathroom Breeze fan.

Plan is to pick it up next Friday at Keystone RV in Greencastle PA.

I booked 2 nights at Cowans Gap state park on the way back home. Have to try it out immediately, of course!

Besides our usual stash of tent camping gear, anything else we should pack? Comes with a full propane fill, I'll need to top off fresh water tank, I guess. What size socket operates the landing gear?
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

TheGreatWaz00
Explorer
Explorer
Rockwood Roo 23ss. Check it out.
Waz's from Maryland
Rockwood Roo 23ss
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
You might check the ROO/Shamrock 23SS. DH is 6'3 and DS#1 is 6'4 with no problems. Remember that your feet are against canvas, so there is some give. Ours was an '07 and ceiling height was fine, but again, check. Believe they have added the arched roof and not sure if that included the ceiling as well, but might gain you a couple of inches. Loved our ROO!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
poppin_fresh wrote:
If you are camping when you need heated tanks and thermopane windows, a hybrid is probably not a great option. The tanks might be nice and warm, but the humans will be popsicles as all the heat escapes out the canvas ends.

That is, unless, you can stand/afford the furnace running constantly, which it will do to try and keep up with the heat loss.

For all intents and purposes the tents are the equivalent of leaving a door wide open regardless of how well everything else is insulated.

Have you ever owned a hybrid? Doesn't sound like you ever have.

there are easy solutions to cold weather camping that most hybrid owners know about.
Popup Gizmos and Reflectix are widely used by us, to stay warm in colder weather.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
If you are camping when you need heated tanks and thermopane windows, a hybrid is probably not a great option. The tanks might be nice and warm, but the humans will be popsicles as all the heat escapes out the canvas ends.

That is, unless, you can stand/afford the furnace running constantly, which it will do to try and keep up with the heat loss.

For all intents and purposes the tents are the equivalent of leaving a door wide open regardless of how well everything else is insulated.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

roovader
Explorer
Explorer
My personal opinion is that I would not worry one bit about the heated holding tanks or thermopane windows in a hybrid.

I had both in my toy hauler and I did like the windows but the holding tanks were never on. In my new hybrid I skipped both. There will be so much transfer in the canvas ends that the thermopane windows are sort of pointless.

Just my two cents. That 23IKSS is awesome! I went with the 21DK because I really wanted to keep the length short but I absolutely love that IKSS floorplan.

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
Hey there, resurrecting this post from the dead.

Life kind of got in the way of buying an HTT last summer, and inventory past the height of the season was kind of scarce, too.

So here we are again. I've located a 2016 23IKSS for 21k, pretty much loaded. Only thing missing besides stainless appliances and wood floor (don't care about those anyway) are thermopane glass and heated holding tanks. I assume those would be nice to have if we planned on doing a lot of cold weather camping (we're not)?

Anyone know what changed between 2015 and 2016 models?

So glad the warm weather is here!
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

KMP44
Explorer
Explorer
ToddD wrote:
So, not having a lot of luck finding 2014 leftovers in my geographic area.

But what is up with this place? Why would a brand new 23IKSS be going for so low? No response from them yet via email, I may have to call.

Any insight into these sellers?

http://www.keystonervcenter.com/2015-forest-river-flagstaff-shamrock-23ikss-new-expandable-trailer-pa-i1119641

Don't know anything about them, but that price seems pretty good. That seems to be on the low end of what dealers in the NE are asking. Its in stock & has pretty much all the options.

Sometimes it doesn't pay go with a 1-2 year old used model, unless you find a really good deal in a private sale. But then you don't get a warranty...
2005 F-150 FX-4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
So, not having a lot of luck finding 2014 leftovers in my geographic area.

But what is up with this place? Why would a brand new 23IKSS be going for so low? No response from them yet via email, I may have to call.

Any insight into these sellers?

http://www.keystonervcenter.com/2015-forest-river-flagstaff-shamrock-23ikss-new-expandable-trailer-pa-i1119641
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Does the 2010 beds have inner springs? Our 2010 flagstaff pup had heated,foldable, and innerspring.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2010 23SS has an arched roof, heated beds, etc. No major issues since buying it new.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't need much arch, just enough to shed water.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA