cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

campin4kids
Explorer
Explorer
mph_medic wrote:
Ok guys I have been on Ebay again and just added a NEW awning..Got it for $129 Free shipping.. A 19' awning..great improvement...

Super nice looking. I need a new 20 ft awning. The one on the camper is ripped a small amount on one side and more on the other. We can get along with it for a while but I don't know how long.

Nice find.
Did they have more?
2003 Avalanche
1992 29S Wilderness
Steve 51, Me, Deb 51,
DS 22, DD 19, DD 17, DD 15

mph_medic
Explorer
Explorer
Ok guys I have been on Ebay again and just added a NEW awning..Got it for $129 Free shipping.. A 19' awning..great improvement...

Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the Paramedics...

2000 Windsport 34K

badgercamperfan
Explorer
Explorer
What great ideas guys. I now have a list of mods a half a mile long to accomplish. So many mods, so little time . . .

myowneq
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, you've been busy. I am almost done with my preliminary repairs, so I'll soon start modding. I have a long long list. ๐Ÿ˜„
2010 F150 XLT 4x4 SCab 5.4L
2007 Grand Surveyor

campergrl81
Explorer
Explorer
so i have to admit i did not look at ALL 95 pages here, just not enough time, lol.

but we have done a lot of mods to our 1982 13ft Starcraft TT. basically hubby tore down all the walls down to the studs and re-insulated with structured foam and put up new wall board and trim and a new ceiling. not the best job ever but it was his first trailer mod. i have some pics of the remodel i will post. and then our newest mod. is building a bunk bed for our DD, this is still in progress but i have a few pics as well and there will be more.

before pic of our sink area

one side of the back end where the dinette/bed is located as well as the fresh water tank

rear of trailer (bed side)

same view remodeled

here are the bunk pics

more when it is done ๐Ÿ™‚

oh here is our sh!t shower and shave all at once potty, lol
our tiny little camper is being modified again to add a bunk for our little girl! pics in profile!

paulb4333
Explorer
Explorer
Second the suggestion on mineral oil and paraffin.

I also use walnut oil in the blend, it's food safe and I find soaks in a bit better than mineral oil alone.

Paul
2006 Fleetwood Excursion
39L
350 HP CAT
Spartan Chassis
FJ Cruiser for a Toad

dublittle
Explorer
Explorer
Mineral oil is probably the best for cutting boards. It won't go stale, it is readily available in most groceries and in all drug stores, and it is cheap. Flood the surface, let it soak in and repeat until it no longer soaks in. Some folks heat it in a double boiler and add a little paraffin to help seal the wood. I have made many end grain cutting boards and used this for sealant. Works great!

Cyndi_H
Explorer
Explorer
mike54 wrote:
Jerry9n wrote:
Yahoo search for Salad Bowl Finish produced a number of vendors. Amazon.com carries it along with quite a few others.

I don't think there is nothing Amazon don't have

You got that right! I just ordered a bronze 3-tiered fruit basket from them for $10 less than ebay. I'm going to take it apart, and hang at least 2 of the baskets separately (3 tiers won't fit vertically). This will free up some counter space since I'd been using bowls on the counter for fruit and onions.
My blog: Wanderlust

'08 Keystone Sprinter 250RBS travel trailer
'10 Nissan Titan

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry9n wrote:
Yahoo search for Salad Bowl Finish produced a number of vendors. Amazon.com carries it along with quite a few others.

I don't think there is nothing Amazon don't have
Mike
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel
2007 Montana 3500rl

Jerry9n
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry9n
2009 23' Cikira Escape EXP
2006 Ford Expedition
Reese Pro Series SC
Tekonsha Primus IQ
HTT Mods

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
And where would one find the "Salad Bowl Finish"?
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

larry_kruzan
Explorer
Explorer
I once upon a time made a lot of bowls on a wood lathe - that was fun but I outgrew the habit :O) I used a finish called "Salad Bowl Fisnish". It was water tight and food safe but it did had a matt to simimatt finish depending on the wood.

That should give you what you want.
Larry and Debbie Kruzan

We never turn a corner without wondering in amazement at God's creation!

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife'nHubby wrote:
whlnwgn wrote:

I'm thinking of using Thompsons water seal stain. That way I get the color and the protection. I will post pics of the covers after I stain them.

Thompsons water seal is not 'food safe'. Use mineral oil instead. Also, it would be best not to stain it with a wood stain as they are also not 'food safe'.

Shari

This food safe aspect is why I decided to use what I did since it's a sealed surface from a section of a kitchen counter top to start with. You can cut on it if you're careful, but a cutting board is better and you don't want to contaminate it with raw meat products. We do lay out non meat products like veggies, etc. during meal prep. Also, we can hide almost a full meals with of dishes under it out of sight till DW decides to do the dishes.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

campin4kids
Explorer
Explorer
Three essential things in a tool box. Duct tape and twist ties to make it stay if it won't. And WD40 to make it move if it's stuck. ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 Avalanche
1992 29S Wilderness
Steve 51, Me, Deb 51,
DS 22, DD 19, DD 17, DD 15

whlnwgn
Explorer
Explorer
Wife'nHubby wrote:
whlnwgn wrote:

I'm thinking of using Thompsons water seal stain. That way I get the color and the protection. I will post pics of the covers after I stain them.

Thompsons water seal is not 'food safe'. Use mineral oil instead. Also, it would be best not to stain it with a wood stain as they are also not 'food safe'.

Shari

Yeah, we actually hadn't intended to cut on it. It's initial purpose was just to add counter space. But using it at a possible cutting board is great idea, so I will pick up some mineral oil to get some color out of it and keep it safe to eat off of should we decide to do so.
mowermech wrote:

Why is it there is never enough time and money to do it RIGHT, but there is always enough time and money to do it OVER?

Sometimes you gotta wiggle it and cuss to yourself.