cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

Limoges_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Roscopcoletrain wrote:
Sold my Reese WD Hitch setup. Used some of that coin to pick up a power tongue. Call me lazy...no cares gives ๐Ÿ˜›

Do power hitches have a manual override?
Just learning all about trailering with something longer than my 17 1/2' boat or pop-up tent trailer.

I accept any and all advice you can give me, and I hope to be able to help in my limited capacity. ๐Ÿ™‚

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Have to utilize the space in the TH so i made a simple wedge style towel rack. Mounted ove the toilet it was wasted space.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

rrev
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any pictures using them. Most paved spots we go to are about the thickness of the plank out of level and a few places are gravel or even grass so we needed something to help disperse the weight. When we get to the spot we want, I usually back in, check my levels, pull forward enough for the length of the plank, add as many as I need to get level, and back up. I also bought some Lynx blocks to add on top of the planks instead of having more planks. I'm tired off taking too much stuff.
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB
2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2007 Starcraft Homestead 282DBS (Retired)

Wackypup
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting! Do you have a page somewhere that explains how you use these? We only have an 18 foot camper so the weight isn't an issue and we probably don't need to park on a board, but it's an interesting concept. Send me a link if there is one on how you use them to level. And I'm definitely going to make some pads for under the stabilizers.

Liz

shower done! See my mods here!
2008 189FBR & 2014 FORD F150 Camp Days This Year: 58 ~ 2016: 153
Tons of Creative, Unique and Inexpensive Mods WackyPup.Blogspot.com

rrev
Explorer
Explorer
Well, since we bought a new, bigger camper, we had to make a couple new things. First was new planks to level/park on. We camp quite a bit at places that are grass or gravel pads so we needed something under the wheels. The New trailer has larger tires so my old planks just weren't going to work. I wanted to put a cleat at the back to keep my rear wheel chock in place but my 13 year old son suggested routering a groove. I think it's going to work great. Second is new pads for under the stabilizer jacks, complete with handles and orange so they don't get left behind.
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB
2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2007 Starcraft Homestead 282DBS (Retired)

drumming102
Explorer
Explorer
Was a warm day so I decided to Hook up my 4 wire LED Porch light.

Was a little shorter of a run for the lights than came in the pack so i trimmed them down to fit and put up the lights with the Crazy 3m Double sided outdoor tape. My intention all along was to have these come on with the porch light (They remember their last setting when power is re-applied) so I took a base with wires for my porch light I had laying around and figured with the bulb out that everything would fit crammed inside the fixture. All it took was running some 4wire to the fixture and a bit of Hot Iron work.

I chose to dremel a notch in the lens instead of drilling a hole in the fixture since a new lens is CHEEP and no work to install if I ever change my mind. Still thinking I might need a dab of liquid Electrical tape on the connector to the light strip and maybe a dab of sealant on the 4wire into the fixture.

PICTURES
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 Keystone Passport 2920BH

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
It's too bad that many of the pictures from the earlier posts no longer show.:(
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

Wackypup
Explorer
Explorer
Your mods are great! Beautiful work!

In regards to screws, I drive screws all over the place in my tt LOL. If I need it to be more sturdy, I put a small board that spans framing members in the walls and then screw to that. I have a bunch of collared 1/2" screws that I picked up somewhere that are very handy for attaching things to the thin walls in the camper. Longer screws aren't any sturdier, since the wallboard is less than 1/8" thick.

I have tons of free & cheap mods on my blog here: http://wackypup.blogspot.com

Liz
2008 189FBR & 2014 FORD F150 Camp Days This Year: 58 ~ 2016: 153
Tons of Creative, Unique and Inexpensive Mods WackyPup.Blogspot.com

mds47588
Explorer
Explorer
Bigbird65 wrote:
MDS47588, I liked your idea so much I copied it. The brand of LED strip is Alpena and P/N 77446 at Autozone. Extra glow for the GlowStep Revolution.

Thank you and that's what this forum is for...sharing of ideas. I've been thinking of placing some more on the tongue area, but don't want to overdue it. Still on the fence.
-2019 Forest River Wildcat 312RLI
-- Pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500
-- 4WD/Dbl Cab/Reg Bed/3.42rr

...Full timing for work, currently in Nashville...

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to a few of my mods maybe someone will find them useful or at least interesting.

TxTwoSome Mods
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
MDS47588, I liked your idea so much I copied it. The brand of LED strip is Alpena and P/N 77446 at Autozone. Extra glow for the GlowStep Revolution.

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

Zeppe807
Explorer
Explorer
dmullen wrote:
Zeppe807 wrote:
I was looking towards installing awning lights on my trailer, mounted against the house vs on the roll. But then I visited someone that had them, and I didn't like the light, nor the glare when looking towards the trailer.

So I bought a dozen LEDs off Amazon for cheap, and added them to the bottom of my frame rail. I made one mount, tested it, liked the ambiance, so I made more. I added 5 total, but I think I may add one towards the hitch, one at the steps, and one facing back.

Unfortunately I have the trailer parked near the curb,so you don't get the full effect of the light. I will update the pictures after this weekend trip.

It was pretty dark last night, considering the street light was out, so it really put out a lot of good light.

Happy Trails,
Joe Zeppe

Love the look of the extra light. How did you wire the Amazon LEDs?

I ran a two conductor wire and wired each one in parallel and ran it to a switch in my battery box (Battery box was a previous mod). All waterproof connections.

I can take pictures next time I have it over.

Joe
In Pursuit Of Happiness and lost in wonder - Wife, Daughter, 2 Sons, dog
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel Auto Quad Cab Short Bed, some mods
1999 Kit Sun Chaser 29ft Bunkhouse, LT tires & some (unique?) mods
Used, Beaten Hensley Arrow member 0001556 = old

dmullen
Explorer
Explorer
Zeppe807 wrote:
I was looking towards installing awning lights on my trailer, mounted against the house vs on the roll. But then I visited someone that had them, and I didn't like the light, nor the glare when looking towards the trailer.

So I bought a dozen LEDs off Amazon for cheap, and added them to the bottom of my frame rail. I made one mount, tested it, liked the ambiance, so I made more. I added 5 total, but I think I may add one towards the hitch, one at the steps, and one facing back.

Unfortunately I have the trailer parked near the curb,so you don't get the full effect of the light. I will update the pictures after this weekend trip.

It was pretty dark last night, considering the street light was out, so it really put out a lot of good light.

Happy Trails,
Joe Zeppe

Love the look of the extra light. How did you wire the Amazon LEDs?

mds47588
Explorer
Explorer
Cut a pice of luan as there was no way that I could screw these organizers to the door without piercing the front.

And...I had always wanted some of the LED lights above the steps. These are the ones ya can get any Autozone and they are hard wired in with there own switch independent of the porch light. More to follow on this.

Lastly, I did this mod...
http://www.flamingsquid.com/images/satellite_rewire.pdf
-2019 Forest River Wildcat 312RLI
-- Pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500
-- 4WD/Dbl Cab/Reg Bed/3.42rr

...Full timing for work, currently in Nashville...

Coolerman
Explorer
Explorer
"How did you mount your LED light strip under your rig? Are they just using the 3M tape and stuck to the black coroplast under your trailer, or did you put them on the beam somehow?

Mine are the kind with sticky tape on the back side the the LED strip. I wiped off the bottom of the frame beam with a soapy rag then used alcohol prep pads to get the remaining crud off then stuck the LEDS to the bottom of the frame.

The E-Bay kits (5 Meters) were exactly the correct length for the Sonic. After a week they came loose in a couple of places so I used clear Gorilla tape to stick them back. They survived a 2600 mile round trip to Colorado!
Mark Baker aka Coolerman
2016 Venture Sonic 170VBH
SOLD:2001 StarCraft Gemini
TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat