cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
Proudcanuck wrote:
I installed similar shelves in my closets but since the one wall was a super thin interior wall there was nothing substantial to screw to. I glued the shelf supports to the walls with PL400 industrial adhesive and taped them in place overnight. I only put clothes on the shelves and so far they have held up very nicely.

I thought the inside wall on each of our wardrobes was very thin too so I purchased some very short brass screws and was going to go from outside-in with the screws. To my surprise when I tried, the wall was double meaning there was a dead air space, so I couldn't do that. I put the screws on the inside and used a small bit of E6000 on the square dowels. It won't be going anywhere.
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Proudcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
I installed similar shelves in my closets but since the one wall was a super thin interior wall there was nothing substantial to screw to. I glued the shelf supports to the walls with PL400 industrial adhesive and taped them in place overnight. I only put clothes on the shelves and so far they have held up very nicely.
Take only photographs; leave only footprints
2010 FunFinder X210WBS
2015 F150 V6 XTR 3.5L Ecoboost
Blue Ox sway pro hitch
Just me and him

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
SabreCanuck wrote:
wbrown62 wrote:
Take care in measuring the width of the shelf. I used two scrap pieces of the dowels for a jig.I held the 2 pieces together and slid them apart so that one end of each dowel touched the sides of the wardrobe at the rear of where the shelf would attach. The dowels were overlapped and when I was sure they were touching lightly on each side, I made a mark across the overlapped portion of both dowels. I transferred this measurement to the shelf making sure the line on the dowels was still in place. I could not get a good reading using a tape measure inside the wardrobe and this method was very accurate. I did this in each wardrobe and at the front and back since there was a slight bit of difference in the measurement. It resulted in a snug fit from front to rear even though the wardrobe was slightly off. I also had to notch out one corner of the shelf for a strip of wood in one side of each wardrobe. Hope this helps. I know of no other way to explain it better. LOL

That's good thinking on the measurement idea.. I often have difficulties getting 100% accurate measurement inside cupboards/tight spaces.. You just figured it out for me.. THANKS!

I know exactly what you mean. I watch a good amount of "This Old House" and other DIY shows, haha! Thanks for the tip.
Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
wbrown62 wrote:
Take care in measuring the width of the shelf. I used two scrap pieces of the dowels for a jig.I held the 2 pieces together and slid them apart so that one end of each dowel touched the sides of the wardrobe at the rear of where the shelf would attach. The dowels were overlapped and when I was sure they were touching lightly on each side, I made a mark across the overlapped portion of both dowels. I transferred this measurement to the shelf making sure the line on the dowels was still in place. I could not get a good reading using a tape measure inside the wardrobe and this method was very accurate. I did this in each wardrobe and at the front and back since there was a slight bit of difference in the measurement. It resulted in a snug fit from front to rear even though the wardrobe was slightly off. I also had to notch out one corner of the shelf for a strip of wood in one side of each wardrobe. Hope this helps. I know of no other way to explain it better. LOL

That's good thinking on the measurement idea.. I often have difficulties getting 100% accurate measurement inside cupboards/tight spaces.. You just figured it out for me.. THANKS!
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
gregrc75 wrote:
wbrown62 wrote:
gregrc75 wrote:
I have a Bullet Premier and the wardrobes look the same. How did you add the shelf? I like that idea!

Greg, I purchased a 4' x 12" pre-made shelf board at Lowes. It is pressboard with the laminated finish to look like real wood. I was too lazy to finish an actual piece of wood. LOL! I also purchased 2 pieces of 5/8" square dowels for shelf supports. I cut the dowels around 10" long, 2 for each wardrobe. I then used a framing square and drew a horizontal line on each side of the wardrobe at the same height. I stained the dowels and drilled 2 holes in each dowel. I attached the dowels, one to each side, with 2 screws and a little glue for good measure. I cut the shelf the correct length and just placed on top of the dowels. Because of the fit of the shelf, I had to have it in place and shoved up a little before screwing in the dowels. Once the dowels were in place, the shelf sat down perfectly on the square dowels. I added just a spot of glue at each bottom corner of each shelf just so they wouldn't bounce around. Actually they were kinda snug so probably wouldn't have anyway.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I know what I am doing tomorrow. I have used the shelving you used in the past and it is perfect for this application. I was curious if you had to have the shelf in place due to the tight space and you answered that. Again, thanks!

2000 Chevrolet Silverado

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
wbrown62 wrote:
gregrc75 wrote:
I have a Bullet Premier and the wardrobes look the same. How did you add the shelf? I like that idea!

Greg, I purchased a 4' x 12" pre-made shelf board at Lowes. It is pressboard with the laminated finish to look like real wood. I was too lazy to finish an actual piece of wood. LOL! I also purchased 2 pieces of 5/8" square dowels for shelf supports. I cut the dowels around 10" long, 2 for each wardrobe. I then used a framing square and drew a horizontal line on each side of the wardrobe at the same height. I stained the dowels and drilled 2 holes in each dowel. I attached the dowels, one to each side, with 2 screws and a little glue for good measure. I cut the shelf the correct length and just placed on top of the dowels. Because of the fit of the shelf, I had to have it in place and shoved up a little before screwing in the dowels. Once the dowels were in place, the shelf sat down perfectly on the square dowels. I added just a spot of glue at each bottom corner of each shelf just so they wouldn't bounce around. Actually they were kinda snug so probably wouldn't have anyway.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I know what I am doing tomorrow. I have used the shelving you used in the past and it is perfect for this application. I was curious if you had to have the shelf in place due to the tight space and you answered that. Again, thanks!
Greg and J

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
gregrc75 wrote:

2000 Chevrolet Silverado

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
wbrown62 wrote:
Fisherguy wrote:
Looks like that key hanger is held on by velcro? That come as one pice or did you buy the pieces and make the board, that's a good idea.

The key board was purchased at Target. It is stuck on using the 3M Command strips (great stuff! We even have a few larger pictures hung up with the strips). I left a small bit sticking out in case I wanted to pull it off and move it. I don't like the white bit showing so I am going to trim it off next time out.

Thanks

Nice discovery with the extra space next to the water heater. In my Bullet the extra space next to the water heater is open to store shoes when you take them on and off. You could open one of the sections and do the same if you wanted. Picture one of the sides with an opening or removed. You can see it in this picture, it is the base of the bench.

Greg and J

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same hanger bar (bought it at Walmart) but I put mine inside my closet door and hang my necklaces on it. I make jewelry so I had to buy another one to hang inside the medicine cabinet door for more necklaces. I just screwed mine on but then they're going into solid wood.

I love the fireplace!! But don't have room for one since I made shelves for the space under and behind our TV.

We did buy a heater from Tractor Supply (Comfort Heater, I think) and that really heats the house up just fine.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherguy wrote:
Looks like that key hanger is held on by velcro? That come as one pice or did you buy the pieces and make the board, that's a good idea.

The key board was purchased at Target. It is stuck on using the 3M Command strips (great stuff! We even have a few larger pictures hung up with the strips). I left a small bit sticking out in case I wanted to pull it off and move it. I don't like the white bit showing so I am going to trim it off next time out.

Thanks
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
Good job finding that extra storage area.

Looks like that key hanger is held on by velcro? That come as one pice or did you buy the pieces and make the board, that's a good idea. I usually put my keys, wallet etc ontop of the window shade valance things, but sometimes not, then the search begins... ๐Ÿ˜‰
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
Here a few simple mods I did in our Keystone Bullet.

Toilet paper and hand towel racks:

Oxygenics shower head:

Windshield reflector cut to fit the vents. These stick on with velcro tabs:

A place to hang our keys.....out of the way:

I added a shelf to the wardrobes on each side of the bed:

And finally, I found dead space under one of the dinette seats. This is where the water heater is at. The seat board was screwed down, so I cut it in half and framed across the center. Maybe I should add a door or drawer to the front.

2000 Chevrolet Silverado

thrasher053
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the compliments on the fireplace.
I bought a Black Friday special at K-mart for $80 that included the mantle, then just created an opening for the insert. There is a name on the insert, but I don't remember it.
It is a 1300 watt heater, nicely heats our trailer.
Bruce and Jennie
2012 Shadow Cruiser S260-BHS
2014 Silverado Crew Cab 1500 5.3L

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Great mod. What is the current draw of the FP (Watts/Amps)? Who sells the FP?
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I'll join the party too; I also like your fireplace.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400