cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

LEP100
Explorer
Explorer
It will clear up as soon as the film dry out.

LEP100
2500HD Duramax/Allison/X Cab w/3.73
Compass Carriage
33CKQ (Super Pinky)
Prodigy Controler

cheezy26_81
Explorer
Explorer
question from the DW. we did one side of the trailer with tint. when she saw it she asked does it clear up or stay foggy. my answer was it should clear up, (from previous installs on my car), it does clear up right? and how long did it take to see the clear up?

bcrewcaptain
Explorer
Explorer
Hey D-long time no talk, I miss the old Class-A/Zuk combo, but the 6mpg in the rv vs the 15 towing with the excursion wins, but this Shasta has been a fun project to say the least.

fgials
Explorer
Explorer
bcrewcaptain wrote:
went with 35% reflective tint on the Shasta...not dark at all, but the reflective part makes it impossible to see in until it gets dark and the interior lights are on

That rig looks familiar!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

bcrewcaptain
Explorer
Explorer
went with 35% reflective tint on the Shasta...not dark at all, but the reflective part makes it impossible to see in until it gets dark and the interior lights are on

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just paint it white and leave it at that. If you do a good paint job the light won't penetrate no matter what color.

Try painting a piece of glass white then hold it up to the sunlight and view from the backside.

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just paint it white and leave it at that. If you do a good paint job the light won't penetrate no matter what color.

Try painting a piece of glass white then hold it up to the sunlight and view from the backside.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking silver would be a good first coat. Silver tends to block all light and covers better than white. Most of the white paints I have used don't cover very well (slightly translucent). Use flat-black as a second coat, since it will reflect less light that does come through the louvers.

Or if you want it to look white from the outside, use white, then silver (for IR reflection) and then black. Flat black would reflect less light that is coming in through the louvers.

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
TreeSeeker wrote:
I think the idea of first painting the vent white, then black has merit. It would look more like the unpainted one. Also, since the plastic is translucent, I expect some IR light gets through and the black will tend to absorb it and re-radiate the heat into the RV. Painting it white first should reflect more of the IR light.

Strictly from the IR point, it would be better to paint it silver or chrome before painting it black. This would reflect more than white.

I was thinking silver would be a good first coat. Silver tends to block all light and covers better than white. Most of the white paints I have used don't cover very well (slightly translucent). Use flat-black as a second coat, since it will reflect less light that does come through the louvers.
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I think the idea of first painting the vent white, then black has merit. It would look more like the unpainted one. Also, since the plastic is translucent, I expect some IR light gets through and the black will tend to absorb it and re-radiate the heat into the RV. Painting it white first should reflect more of the IR light.

Strictly from the IR point, it would be better to paint it silver or chrome before painting it black. This would reflect more than white.

iowassfan
Explorer
Explorer
The light it does let in is from sides and the vented part, and is minimal. I also painted the factory vent camper that was already on the camper. So if I want pitch black I just have to close the vent.

tedrowan
Explorer
Explorer
The darkening of the vent in the bedroom is such a great idea. Our vent now transmits a good bit of light at night when there are campground lights around. Thanks for a great idea.
Ted and Maryann Rowan __ Cape Cod, MA
2009 Ford F-150 FX4 + 2008 KZ Spree 261 RKS
Two Road Bikes * Two Mountain Bikes * Too little time

cheezy26_81
Explorer
Explorer
iowassfan wrote:
locknload223 wrote:
Good idea painting the inside. Let us know how much darker it is inside after you install it. I'm installing two this week.

Installed today in the 100 degree wheater. Thank god it only took me about 30 minutes to intall both vent covers. There is a night and day difference with the painted vs factory cover. Still lets in some light but no were near the 2nd cover.

is the light from the vent sides and bottom (that let the air flow) or from the direct sun on the top of the vent?

iowassfan
Explorer
Explorer
Krylon for plastic.