cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

livingaboard
Explorer
Explorer
snarfattack wrote:
So, I've been very jealous of the power tongue cranks I see... but I just can't justify spending the money when I have an arm. But, I can justify making use of my power tools :)... Resulting in:

(Clicky for larger image)

I removed the hand crank, put an eye bolt in its place and now my drill can raise and lower it in seconds!

Since we have a few kids and a couple being under two, no slide-out... Makes for very little room to set up playpens to keep them contained and everyone in the camper comfortable. So I made a remove-able side to the dinette using some 1x wood and stretched window screen across it to keep the weight down (There are legs going under the mattress so they can't pull it over). One of our bed protectors was exactly the right width to make the dinette into two smaller, completely separated beds so they don't knock each other out during the night. Makes night time much more bearable.

Funny, I was thinking about doing the exact same thing with the dinette. My problem is that the 1 year old can crawl over pretty easy so I was trying to figure out a way to keep him in the dinette area.
Dave
Everett, WA
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, F53 Triton V-10
Firestone air bags with Quad control air gauge
Pressure Pro tire pressure monitor
Banks Exhaust
SuperSteer rear trac bar
Olympian Wave heaters (Wall mount and portable)

sbrettell
Explorer
Explorer
What did you replace the siding with? Aluminum or fiberglass? I'm thinking of working with fiberglass to replace some canvas on a popup.
SteveB
In Maryland

snarfattack
Explorer
Explorer
So, I've been very jealous of the power tongue cranks I see... but I just can't justify spending the money when I have an arm. But, I can justify making use of my power tools :)... Resulting in:

(Clicky for larger image)

I removed the hand crank, put an eye bolt in its place and now my drill can raise and lower it in seconds!

Since we have a few kids and a couple being under two, no slide-out... Makes for very little room to set up playpens to keep them contained and everyone in the camper comfortable. So I made a remove-able side to the dinette using some 1x wood and stretched window screen across it to keep the weight down (There are legs going under the mattress so they can't pull it over). One of our bed protectors was exactly the right width to make the dinette into two smaller, completely separated beds so they don't knock each other out during the night. Makes night time much more bearable.

1999 Jayco Eagle 304BH
2003 Chevy Suburban 1500

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Tell me that is not your tv antenna crank in that cabinet? If so what were they thinking? How inconvenient is that? plus a waste of a cabinet....

LynchMob76
Explorer
Explorer
Great thread...wish I found it before I went mod crazy. I definitely have a ton of stuff I can now do this fall.

We only had our 189FBS out once since getting it in March. I have been tinkering around with various mods since then as we are leaving on two month trip cross country with our newborn twins and a three year old next week. Next I think will be a solar setup as well as to weld up a new arrangement up front to allow another battery, generator and bike rack.

First order of business...moving and extending the crappy 2' long slinky holder

Access under the bed to the pass through storage is nice but a PITA to get a finger under the wood pieces to lift them up...strap handles fixed that

Keeping the mattress up while accessing the area is also a PITA so I rigged up a strap that you simply buckle into the top bunk and then tighten snug...hands free now.

Close up of the upper female end to the buckle with the bunk down

Another one

This is left side under the bed...added a 750w inverter..just temporary to get us by for now when boondocked

power bar off inverter

TV/DVD for the kid

Reused the slide safety rod for a kids clothes rod...bins below

Various hooks here and there, shoe bin

Shoe rack and moved fire extinguisher

Key rack, papertowel holder

Various racks in cupboards

Shower caddy, hooks for drying towels and swimsuits

shower guard

I was going to use this to store pop/water etc but I think i might put a small safe in there

And the best for last...fishing rod holders!!
2010 Fun Finder 189FBS
2005 Tahoe LT, Davenport HP pkg (350hp)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 6", 33s, 4.56s, locked

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finally got my decal from Donsdecals.com and put on the back of the Jayco.

Decal Link
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

bigc3031
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure on the tongue weight but with the additional battery and weight of the tool box and a few things I am carrying in it I added about 100lbs to the trailer.
2009 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.4L Diesel
Springdale 291RKSSR
Wife and 2 pugs to travel the world with.

dougwhite
Explorer
Explorer
bigc3031 wrote:
A couple of months ago I finally dove into a tool box mod.

How much did your mod increase the tongue weight? I'm looking at doing the same sort of thing.
Doug & Gail
Sebastion (Yorkie on steroids)
Prissy (Diva Yorkie-Pekingeese mix)
Midland, TX

HOOK 'EM HORNS!

bigc3031
Explorer
Explorer
Bonefish wrote:
I would add tie down straps on the batteries. Hit a good bump or have an accident and the batteries could be into the metal lid and it could cause a fire.

Bonefish

Good idea, I'll figure this out. I do have adjustable "L" channel on the back side so they don't slide around, it would be easy to add a top strap.
2009 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.4L Diesel
Springdale 291RKSSR
Wife and 2 pugs to travel the world with.

brubinsky
Explorer
Explorer
brubinsky wrote:
Question. I've been camping in a TT for over 20 years and never saw a problem storing the waste hose inside of the rear bumper. I've noticed a common mod is to create a way to store the hose. Rust inside of the bumper does not seem to be an issue. Am I missing more than usual?
Thanks to everyone for the info. I have to remember that all TT are not alike. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something(as I often do)
07 KZ Jag26
07 Suburban 500 4WD Tow PKG
Equalizer

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't normally do many mods to our trailers but got tired of having shoes in the way at the bottom of the steps.

Had an old piece of luann available along with 24" of 2x2 and left over paint. Under the steps I fashioned a board that will take all of the dirt and crud from shoes stored out of the weather but still outside.

The board sits on the framework of our folding step.

Shoe shelf.

I also set the outdoor thermometer on the board and it has not been forgotten this way.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
I would add tie down straps on the batteries. Hit a good bump or have an accident and the batteries could be into the metal lid and it could cause a fire.

Bonefish

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
bigc3031 wrote:
A couple of months ago I finally dove into a tool box mod. I wanted more storage for my towing gear as well as add a battery and a battery cut off for boondocking. I searched high and low for a good toolbox and an affordable price and found this shallow depth box at Lowe's. I bought some sheet aluminum and some "L" channel at Home Depot to build the battery box which I siliconed all the seams and used weatherstip on the top to keep fumes away from my tools. I have a vent on the way, I didn't want to get a lot of water in the bat box so I searched a little for a good system. I used wires I had left over from a 1970 Nova build for the battery cables and the cut off was a heavy duty one I bought from Jeg's. Mounting the box was easy, I just moved the propane tanks up a couple inches and it was good to go. I am very happy with this addition, it added a ton of storage for all the stuff that gets dirty on the road. I highly reccommend this mod for anyone with a trailer.

That look awesome! Wish I had to room to do such a Mod. Happy camping, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

revrnd
Explorer
Explorer
My Rhino Hose "almost" fits the bumper. It slides in then stops about where the spare tire mount U bolts are. I think when the nuts were tightened up, the bumper is pinched slightly smaller impeding the hose.

I made a holder out of white pipe that a friend had left over from when he made his sewer pipe holder.
1986 Monte Carlo SS
2011 Chevrolet K2500HD (P3 controller, Husky WD hitch)
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini Lite

Retired GM of Canada Oshawa Truck Assembly Plant
Opened 1965 Closed 2009

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
With a Rhino hose?
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge