cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some pics of my cheap Lowes tool box. I have my pad blocks and 2 12 volts in there. It really has been a great addition.

jernst1978
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased our first RV, a 2016 Outdoors Black Rock 26BHS, first ....morning sun creeping in the blinds. We have a neighbor that sews and naturally my wife immediately enlisted her help to sew black out curtains on the back side of the blinds. Sorry, they're installed and as such a picture does no justice.

Zeppe807
Explorer
Explorer
tspin818 wrote:
Zeppe807 wrote:
dmullen wrote:
Zeppe807 wrote:
I was looking towards installing awning lights on my trailer, mounted against the house vs on the roll. But then I visited someone that had them, and I didn't like the light, nor the glare when looking towards the trailer.

So I bought a dozen LEDs off Amazon for cheap, and added them to the bottom of my frame rail. I made one mount, tested it, liked the ambiance, so I made more. I added 5 total, but I think I may add one towards the hitch, one at the steps, and one facing back.

Unfortunately I have the trailer parked near the curb,so you don't get the full effect of the light. I will update the pictures after this weekend trip.

It was pretty dark last night, considering the street light was out, so it really put out a lot of good light.

Happy Trails,
Joe Zeppe

Love the look of the extra light. How did you wire the Amazon LEDs?

I ran a two conductor wire and wired each one in parallel and ran it to a switch in my battery box (Battery box was a previous mod). All waterproof connections.

I can take pictures next time I have it over.

Joe

Love the look, and clever with the mounting. Do you have a link or part number to look these up on Amazon?

Here is the link to the part:
http://www.amazon.com/HOTSYSTEM-Eagle-Light-Backup-12-pack/dp/B00MVMRS6O?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I have been using them and they are great. I would recommend that they are pointed down more than up.

I'm Glad you like them.

Cheers,
Joe
In Pursuit Of Happiness and lost in wonder - Wife, Daughter, 2 Sons, dog
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel Auto Quad Cab Short Bed, some mods
1999 Kit Sun Chaser 29ft Bunkhouse, LT tires & some (unique?) mods
Used, Beaten Hensley Arrow member 0001556 = old

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
I did something similar on mine but I just welded a 2.5 piece vertically on the front of the a frame. Just drop the shin knocker in and put the lock on.

bill-e
Explorer
Explorer
$19 HF receiver and $8 in clamps...easier for me than finding a welder.

HitchGrip is the easiest way for an old guy with a bad back to move his hitch.

Thanks,
Bill

'15 Keystone Cougar 26RBI and '15 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

bigrigfixer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! And thanks for posting my pic direct. Haven't figured out how to do that yet.
2009 F150 XLT Supercrew
2016 Hideout 26BHSWE

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
Gene&Ginny wrote:
bigrigfixer wrote:
...With the recent posts about locking battery boxes, here's mine. ...

Very clean and neat. Nice work
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
bigrigfixer wrote:
...With the recent posts about locking battery boxes, here's mine. ...
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
deleted
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bigrigfixer
Explorer
Explorer

With the recent posts about locking battery boxes, here's mine. I used a Weatherguard rail mount box and modified it to fit the a-frame. Then I painted it black. There's also a battery cutout switch with a removable knob, and my solar charge controller, which may not be in that picture, but it's there now. And it's vented.
2009 F150 XLT Supercrew
2016 Hideout 26BHSWE

tspin818
Explorer
Explorer
Zeppe807 wrote:
dmullen wrote:
Zeppe807 wrote:
I was looking towards installing awning lights on my trailer, mounted against the house vs on the roll. But then I visited someone that had them, and I didn't like the light, nor the glare when looking towards the trailer.

So I bought a dozen LEDs off Amazon for cheap, and added them to the bottom of my frame rail. I made one mount, tested it, liked the ambiance, so I made more. I added 5 total, but I think I may add one towards the hitch, one at the steps, and one facing back.

Unfortunately I have the trailer parked near the curb,so you don't get the full effect of the light. I will update the pictures after this weekend trip.

It was pretty dark last night, considering the street light was out, so it really put out a lot of good light.

Happy Trails,
Joe Zeppe

Love the look of the extra light. How did you wire the Amazon LEDs?

I ran a two conductor wire and wired each one in parallel and ran it to a switch in my battery box (Battery box was a previous mod). All waterproof connections.

I can take pictures next time I have it over.

Joe

Love the look, and clever with the mounting. Do you have a link or part number to look these up on Amazon?

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, great video, but what was the real reason for the lift kit. My trailer hasn't had any scraping problems. Is your tow vehicle lifted too?

The real reason was to avoid scraping in both gas stations and off rod. Airstreams sit low, and the 30'ers come awfully close to the ground just on a slanted driveway. I have a lifted tow vehicle, but it has a drop hitch, so that wasn't affecting it.

Here in Utah, my favorite places to camp require a dirt road, and a lot of the gas stations we've been to cause the rear drag bars on the trailer to scrape.

Here we discussed some of the pros and cons. If you don't scrape, don't lift it; there's no reason to. If you get off the beaten path and you find yourself scraping, it's one of the best things you can do in my opinion.

Pros and Cons of lifting your trailer
follow our travels at:
http://themoreweexplore.com

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
themoreweexplore wrote:
A couple weeks ago I lifted our airstream 3". BIG improvement.

YouTube Video of our install

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, great video, but what was the real reason for the lift kit. My trailer hasn't had any scraping problems. Is your tow vehicle lifted too?
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
chr$ wrote:
Bobandshawn wrote:
That looks like what I did to mine. Same toolbox anyway. I have 2 12volts centered in mine. The tool box is mounted at the trailer frame height on mine.

Yes, but made for the purpose without the wings for a pickup. Also, with louver vents, and compartments separating the batteries from the electronics...

In the picture it has wings. I actually made good purpose of those wings. I cut a piece of 1/8" hardboard to fit and when the lid is closed those are each independent compartments. I find them handy to put stuff like my receiver lock pin, lynch pins, a pair of pliers, a bullet level, gloves and other items I am normally looking for when I hitch and unhitch. It's just all there now. But of course what I need will always be on the opposite side of where I am working.
As far as vents go I just drilled a couple of 1" holes in the rear and bottom of the box.

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
A couple weeks ago I lifted our airstream 3". BIG improvement.

YouTube Video of our install
follow our travels at:
http://themoreweexplore.com