cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

locknload223
Explorer
Explorer
He used Krylon Fusion for plastics, see his photo. I wonder if the cover would appear more white from the exterior if white Fusion was used first then black?
2010 Flagstaff 831RKSS

2000 Excursion Limited PowerStroke Diesel- ATS ported turbo housing, 6.0 I/C, FRx, HPx & boot kit, DiPricol Optix gauges, DP Tuner-80t, Drive-Thru, 80e, 120race,6637, Exhaust, AIH/foil delete, 4" lift, Airbags, Dunlop 315/75/16's.

tedrowan
Explorer
Explorer
iowassfan wrote:
Got my Maxxair II vent covers ready for install today. I painted the inside of one black since it goes directly over our queen bed. The tinted windows made it much cooler and nicer camping this weekend.

one on top of box is the painted one.

Did you use regular black Krylon or did you use a special Krylon for plastic?
Ted and Maryann Rowan __ Cape Cod, MA
2009 Ford F-150 FX4 + 2008 KZ Spree 261 RKS
Two Road Bikes * Two Mountain Bikes * Too little time

iowassfan
Explorer
Explorer
locknload223 wrote:
Good idea painting the inside. Let us know how much darker it is inside after you install it. I'm installing two this week.

Installed today in the 100 degree wheater. Thank god it only took me about 30 minutes to intall both vent covers. There is a night and day difference with the painted vs factory cover. Still lets in some light but no were near the 2nd cover.

LEP100
Explorer
Explorer
The gila film do not have the glue so it will be easier to remove, just peel off. Also on installation it will let you try more than once on a window that gets tricky.

Lep100
2500HD Duramax/Allison/X Cab w/3.73
Compass Carriage
33CKQ (Super Pinky)
Prodigy Controler

iowassfan
Explorer
Explorer
Good tint will peel off fairly easy and they make an adhesive remover to wipe off what adhesive is left behind. As far as the difference in 20% and 5%, there is alot more light let in at 20 and you can see through 20 during the day. Using 5% you will have to press your face to the window to see in during the day. My car has two different % tints on it. Front windows are 20% and rear are 5%. This picture shows the difference in the two.

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
Ya mean the other stuff is more permanent or harder to remove?
Anyone used the 20%?
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

LEP100
Explorer
Explorer
I used the peel and cling privacy 5% from Lowe's. if I don't like the way that it looks in a couple of years I can peel it off.

LEP100
Compass Carriage
33CKQ (Super Pinky)
Prodigy Controler

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, lotsa different types from Gila:
- Basic widow tint
- Heat shiel
- Utlra shield
- Peel and Cling
- Xtreme

Which to use?

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

LEP100
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I install on my camper and it works, it does offer privacy and prevent light from entering, not all the light but it does help with the cooling too.
Here is the info from the web site Gila Film.
Privacy Control Black 5%

* Creates daytime privacy & room darkening
* Peel & Cling application - installs easier & contains no adhesive
* Helps reduce fading to interior furnishings
* Rejects up to 99% of UV rays
* Reduces glare

LEP100
Compass Carriage
33CKQ (Super Pinky)
Prodigy Controler

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
Window tint does not offer privacy, nor prevent light from entering, nor is it intended to. The purpose of tint is to reduce the amount of heat and destructive UV coming in. If you want privacy pull the shades down.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

tedrowan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Brent

HedoTravelers
Explorer
Explorer
tedrowan wrote:
Even tinted windows allow a lot of light ( at night ) to enter the trailer. We have dark tinted windows and that limits the day light in and the ability to see in during the day. At night it is different. With lights on inside you can see in and the outside light also comes in at night.

They are windows and as such light will come in. Tinting the glass only limits the amount of light transference through the glass. If you want no light at all I would suggest some sort of an opaque barrier to block all light sources from intruding.
Respect,
Brent

TV ~
Searching for diesel TV, Prodigy
Rig ~
Keystone Montana 3400RL
Selling 2010 Keystone Passport 256RLS

"Wherever you go, there you are"

tedrowan
Explorer
Explorer
Even tinted windows allow a lot of light ( at night ) to enter the trailer. We have dark tinted windows and that limits the day light in and the ability to see in during the day. At night it is different. With lights on inside you can see in and the outside light also comes in at night.

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to tint our windows, a bit intimidated though, I've see some REALLY BAD attempts by people with their cars, at least our RV windows are flat unlike car windows.

tedrowan
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have the best of both worlds.