Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

corner separating

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Jayco 264BH

After this trip, noticed that--while passenger-side front intact--driver side front corner seems to be separating...see pics/click picks...

Contrast the three driver-side pics with the photo of the passenger-side front

Would appreciate input re.:
--is this a common issue?
--what causes it?
--is there an actual danger of the whole rig coming apart? or is this just something that goes along with rolling the thing down the highway? (we use the trailer 20-plus nights a year, on at least 5 trips, many of which are 300 miles or more (some are halfway across the country)...it gets used hard and often)...put another way, can it just be left as is and monitored? or does this issue make the rig unsafe to use?
--best solution? any possibility of self-help, or would it need to go to a shop? (out of warranty at this point)
--if must be shop-repaired, any idea re. extent of work?
--Any other ideas?

Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
8 REPLIES 8

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like aluminum or is it fiberglass??? My 15 year old R-Vision TT was flat panel fiberglass and also received hard use but this problem or delamination never occurred. TT was built in 2003. Maybe a well recommended experienced mobile RV repairman can inspect it for you. Good luck to you.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Looks like a little expansion/contraction. My trailer looks like that, needs a little caulk.
If you can verify the screws haven’t pulled out or rotted out or any of the other possible but not likely scenarios.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

AppFire
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
TUCQUALA wrote:
If you're not aware, there are screws under the rubber strip on the front of the mouldings. They have probably "pulled" (go into the edge of body side panels) possibly from heat expansion. Only a thought on my part, but this year has been good and hot in most of the country and your travels had to be in hot areas sometime this past year. As to fix, I'd pull the vinyl strips out and check the attaching screws. If they won't tighten and pull the mouldings back to proper position, maybe longer ones and some epoxy in the holes might do it.

Or rotted wood beneath.

X2-- Rotted wood underneath. Screws should not just pull out or loosen in good wood.
2017 Silverado Crew cab LT Max tow package
2003 Jayco Qwest 244

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Its not a industry wide issue but may be with Jayco Jayflight models. I would send them the pics and see if they have a opinion on the issue.

What causes this ?? The moulding needs to be removed and a determination if the front wall/sidewall has detached. Sometimes the trailer can be twisted from off road use or wrong jacking methods and corner separations can be the result.

Self help ? All depends on your fixing structure skills and ability to find what caused the issue. Hand tools and a structure to keep it rain free while you do the R&R.

Danger ? Only if the corner has separated and let water inside. The roof is still holding front wall/sidewall. How does the roof/front wall joint look up top.

Good luck and keep us update on what going on with this issue.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
And while you're in fixing the screw holes get some butyl tape to reseal the joint behind the molding.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Explorer
Explorer
TUCQUALA wrote:
If you're not aware, there are screws under the rubber strip on the front of the mouldings. They have probably "pulled" (go into the edge of body side panels) possibly from heat expansion. Only a thought on my part, but this year has been good and hot in most of the country and your travels had to be in hot areas sometime this past year. As to fix, I'd pull the vinyl strips out and check the attaching screws. If they won't tighten and pull the mouldings back to proper position, maybe longer ones and some epoxy in the holes might do it.

Or rotted wood beneath.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very surprising for a 2019 Jayco. Send them the pictures. Ask for assistance.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad