cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealer dilemma - need advice

Billkoz
Explorer
Explorer
So we went up to see a dealer to purchase a Starcraft with a floorplan we love. We took our trade in with us and on the phone we were very honest about the issues the trailer had (soft spot on floor, broken awning, etc.). They gave us a quote of $2,500 over the phone. When we drove up, they took us into the new trailer while they "appraised" our trailer. Suddenly they come to us and say, your air conditioner is working, that will deduct $1,750. It worked right before we got there so we were shocked. They also wanted to charge a $220 convenience fee to do title and tags when we told them we could "conveniently" walk into the DMV and do this ourselves and save that money! On top of this, they told us the unit didn't come with propane tanks when Starcraft has it listed as a standard feature on their site. So needless to say, we were getting some shady vibes from the dealer so we left and told them we would think on the deal. When we got home, low and behold, we found out that popping the thermostat off gives you access to some nice screws that you can loosen to make the AC suddenly not work. The AC works just fine with screws tight.

Well we've been searching around and if we want to go elsewhere to buy, we'd have to drive a solid 4 hours more and get a 2016 instead of a 2015 which of course will be more. What would you do in our shoes? Do we suck it up and deal with these shysters or do we drive out of our way just out of principle??? Just an FYI, we have a rv repair shop in our area that will do the warranty work so we wouldn't have to worry about going back to them for that.
24 REPLIES 24

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
First, run from that dealer and do not look back.

When we were shopping for Arctic Fox, we started with some used units (both private party and dealer). We were treated very well and wanted to look at new at the only local dealer for AF. We were treated very poorly and started working with out of town dealer 4 hours away. We were not able to come to agreement on price for a new AF with the out of town dealer, ended up getting used one a year later that was just what we wanted, but at a price we could handle.

I have been asked by folks where we bought our trailer, and after some discussion, we find that the local dealer treats everyone poorly. AF is losing business because of this, the others that were treated poorly bought other brands locally at a dealer that treated them nice.

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
I will not buy from that dealer. We got a great deal for a unit we likes from camping world. In the end the dealer 1 mile from home won us with some nice customer service and the way he treated my wife and kids when they were shopping. He offered 8k for a pup which I brought for 9k and used a whole bunch.
One of my older friend would tell me that as an expectation buying a motorcycle or rv is "acknowledgement that I am getting scr-ed but at least I want to feel good about it".

I want to be treated nice and give good post buying service and warranty .

No knock on camping world but it was a over an hr drive and even warranty was easy as it was a mile away and I could dropoff on sunday evening.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's no way I'd do business with anyone willing to stoop that low. I'd look for another dealer and would be willing to drive further and pay more to find someone honest.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbpru wrote:
My approach is "This is the number I write on the check. I only have one check".

To do this you need to have a detailed list of exactly what you want. You will only get what is on your list.

You know two things 1. The dealer will wheel and deal. 2. You are buying a product that will depreciate quickly.

Also remember;

Stay firm on your price.
The dealer will not sell at a loss.
Do not buy without sleeping on it.
They make more TT s every day and there are other dealers.
Buying an RV, boat or car is not a race.

Good luck

The most important item was missed.

Get everything in WRITING by email or text or letter.

But I agree with the majority RUN away from this dealer, They are clearly not honest. I drove from Minot ND to CHICAGO to get the right trailer at the right deal from a very good and honest place..no regrets. And that was in a big November snowstorm.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Check the caulking around the entry door of that Starcraft. Have known more than one Starcraft owner who had leak issues due to faulty caulk around the door. Good luck.

Was this pre or post Jayco buying Starcraft?

Bill,

You are making the right choice to sprint from that dealer!!!! Post the dealers info to save others also. Maybe even make a Facebook page stating "x dealer. Horrible" or whatever you come up with. That way they can't delete your post!

Does Jayco have a similar floor plan?

Good luck!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the caulking around the entry door of that Starcraft. Have known more than one Starcraft owner who had leak issues due to faulty caulk around the door. Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I negotiated the trade value and purchase price of my new 5'er over the phone and through emails to a dealer 300 miles away. Came to an agreed deal after going through several offer/counter offers, sent a deposit and drove up a week later. They never even looked at my trade. I just parked it, looked over my new trailer then signed all the papers. Couldn't be happier and got a very good deal.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

kmbernstein
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with everyone on here. We had the same thing happen. We ended up traveling 6-7 hours away to pick up our unit when the dealer 45 minutes away treated us VERY badly. We also contacted Skyline Manufacturer. They made the deal with the new dealer easy, gave us an extra extension on the warranty, etc. We never looked back. When the bad dealer called to check on trying to get us back in, I read them the riot act, and let them know we had purchased elsewhere. Gave them poor reviews with the BBB, yelp, etc. If you do deal with them, you will regret it, and will never be able to trust them. Put a period on it and move on. Something better is out there for you.
Me, 1 Great hubby (Tim), Cole the Standard Poodle,
Magic the tiny Bengal Cat
2012 Skyline Koala 21CS
2007 Ford Explorer

Cloughfam
Explorer
Explorer
As a Maryland member, I'd love to know which dealer this was?
2011 Jayco JayFlight 25BHS
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X2 HEMI
Me, the wife, 2 sons...

Billkoz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! I suspected this was the response I would get but it's reaffirming to hear and the boost I needed to follow my instincts. Of course to add insult to injury, looks like the only difference between the 2016 and 2015 is that the capacity of the 2016 gray tank is halved from 45 to 22. Pretty significant jump.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
After that experience you are still considering dealing with that company? You've seen what they're capable of. There's no telling what else they would try to pull on you.

Is it really worth it? Sure wouldn't be to me.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
BillkozDo wrote:
Do we suck it up and deal with these shysters or do we drive out of our way just out of principle???

If you have to ask, by all means make a return trip and make the purchase!
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Billkoz wrote:
So we went up to see a dealer to purchase a Starcraft with a floorplan we love. We took our trade in with us and on the phone we were very honest about the issues the trailer had (soft spot on floor, broken awning, etc.). They gave us a quote of $2,500 over the phone. When we drove up, they took us into the new trailer while they "appraised" our trailer. Suddenly they come to us and say, your air conditioner is working, that will deduct $1,750. It worked right before we got there so we were shocked. They also wanted to charge a $220 convenience fee to do title and tags when we told them we could "conveniently" walk into the DMV and do this ourselves and save that money! On top of this, they told us the unit didn't come with propane tanks when Starcraft has it listed as a standard feature on their site. So needless to say, we were getting some shady vibes from the dealer so we left and told them we would think on the deal. When we got home, low and behold, we found out that popping the thermostat off gives you access to some nice screws that you can loosen to make the AC suddenly not work. The AC works just fine with screws tight.

Well we've been searching around and if we want to go elsewhere to buy, we'd have to drive a solid 4 hours more and get a 2016 instead of a 2015 which of course will be more. What would you do in our shoes? Do we suck it up and deal with these shysters or do we drive out of our way just out of principle??? Just an FYI, we have a rv repair shop in our area that will do the warranty work so we wouldn't have to worry about going back to them for that.

If that's the quality of service to you now as a potential customer how do you suppose they'll treat you once they have your money? You'll bring it in six months from now for one thing and they'll report two or three other items needing repair
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Four hours away is not that far. We purchased our new fiver three hours away and had to drive through Atlanta on top of that. We saved several thousand dollars so it was worth it. Dealer was exceptional to deal witb.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian