cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did I dodge a bullet?

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
Kids slept in tt over Xmas. Winterized of course. Turned on water heater instead of lights by accident and I caught it today when I got the bedding. Removed access cover to check the element and the tank was hot, no water in it. Do I consider myself extremely lucky or do I change element anyway?
26 REPLIES 26

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
As inexpensive as most elements are it wouldnt hurt to just replace it since it is winterized
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some hot water heaters never fully drain when removing the sacrifical rod. It is designed for the situation you described. Refill with water and try the element. If it heats you should be good.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Boxerslave wrote:
Kids slept in tt over Xmas. Winterized of course. Turned on water heater instead of lights by accident and I caught it today when I got the bedding. Removed access cover to check the element and the tank was hot, no water in it. Do I consider myself extremely lucky or do I change element anyway?

If the tank was hot it proves the heating element is not burned out so yes, you dodged the bullet.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
So now, they get the house and I go out and have some privacy from all the visitors and sleep through the night even if the baby doesn't.

:C :C

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boxerslave wrote:
Excellent point OB. Propane was on for furnace and I cannot remember if one or both switches were on ( one for AC other for gas and both side by side) Heater is an atwood and going by my track record I would bet the element fried and the gas warmed the tank.

New electric element and you should be good to go.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with nineoaks.

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent point OB. Propane was on for furnace and I cannot remember if one or both switches were on ( one for AC other for gas and both side by side) Heater is an atwood and going by my track record I would bet the element fried and the gas warmed the tank.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Boxerslave, When my kids come to visit, I stay in trailer and let them have the house. Had a similar incident, except kids left water heater on when they left. Thank goodness, it wasn't cold enough that we had no water in it. I also discovered they didn't realize they needed to open vent and turn on fan to release extra moisture when they showered.

So now, they get the house and I go out and have some privacy from all the visitors and sleep through the night even if the baby doesn't.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Electric element turned on.......element will be burnt out due to lack of water
Propane turn on.......OK as far as propane burner BUT

What brand of water heater?

Atwood..........probably OK as tank is aluminum and t-stat would shut down when temp was reached. Tank can take the temp as long as it is allowed to cool before filling with water

Suburban......Maybe? Tank is steel but is glass lined. T-stat would shut down when temp was reached but glass lining may have cracked from the direct heating.

Fill it.......run it then if heats OK drain it and check for any 'debris' if Suburban
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
Nineoaks Good advice, below freezing now, so I will try that later. Next time I will try to be smart enough to trip breaker before sleepovers.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Only way to know is turn off, let it cool, then fill with water and see if it heats ok and shuts off. If so you are lucky..
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
You may have dodged a bullet in the sense that the trailer didn't burn down. It is, however, likely that you damaged the water heater.