cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel Kleen to clean DPF?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2010 6.4 F450 with 106K miles on it. I was on a longer trip and on the way back home. As I was going up mountains, I started losing power and the emissions indicator came up on my dash.

I had noticed that the truck hadn't done the regen for a few days while I was driving relatively slow through Yellowstone/Tetons for hundreds of miles. The text that indicated the regen process did come on for a few seconds along the way.

I was hundreds of miles from home with plenty of mountains on my way. I felt like I needed the DPF to clean, but knew I couldn't manually trigger it. While eating supper, I read an article that was talking about how DPF cleaning additives work. That got me thinking that maybe using a lot of Diesel Kleen could possibly get the truck back to normal.

So, I bought a large grey bottle of Diesel Kleen that is supposed to treat 250 gallons and added it all to the tank and filled up the tank. Maybe a partial waste of $18, but I didn't think it would hurt anything.

I engaged Tow/Haul and started driving. After about an hour of driving, the regen process engaged and completed. We camped for the night.

I didn't add any Diesel Kleen in my next fill up since I thought it still had plenty. The truck continued to regen as normal on the rest of the way home and full power and I added a normal amount of additive on the way home for each fill up. After a few regens and restarts, the emission indicator went off on one of the restarts which implies it thought everything was ok. It stayed off the rest of the trip.

1. Have you done anything similar to the overdose of Diesel Kleen to clean your DPF and get the process going?
2. Do you think my DPF regen is back to normal now or should I have it checked out?
3. It seems like the regen process refuses to start if the DPF is "too" clogged. Is this what others have experienced?
4. What the best preventative measures to take to prevent a recurrence? Driving at higher rpms, adding more additive, both, or something else?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
33 REPLIES 33

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Delete it. The only question you'll have is "why didn't I do it sooner?"
Not sure about yours, but some models can take a "stealth" delete. Mild tune and everything looks functional. It can put a quick end to several headaches.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
whjco wrote:
However, NEVER add DEF directly to the fuel tank or expensive, non-warranty damage can result. It should only be added to the DEF tank and never used as a fuel additive.

I wasn't suggesting adding DEF anywhere. 6.4s don't even have a DEF tank or use DEF, fwiw.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
DEF can increase the combustion temperature according to Volkswagen, for instance. http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_330.pdf At least, I'm assuming their additive is the DEF.

System with additive
This system is used on vehicles where the particulate filter is installed away from the engine. Due to the distance the exhaust gas has to make from the engine to the particulate filter, the required ignition temperature for combustion of the particulates can only be reached with the introduction of an additive.

The question is "do other additives" help as well. If so, in extreme circumstance like slow driving would it be advantageous to change the amount of additive and/or change the driving method if possible to prevent a potential clogged dpf issue.

However, NEVER add DEF directly to the fuel tank or expensive, non-warranty damage can result. It should only be added to the DEF tank and never used as a fuel additive.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
6.6 Oilburner wrote:
I know I'm going to start a shite storm, but I'm going to say it anyway. The absolute best thing you can do for the longevity of your 6.4 is to Delete the DPF with a very mild tune, which will also shut the EGR off.

I'm not a delete fan but in this case, the 6.4 has the absolute worst DPF strategy in the history of diesel emission controls.

Unless you want to replace your rockers soon you better take 6.6's advice.

How does the dpf/or egr impact the rockers? I have heard issues with rockers but did not know they were related.

The 6.4 lights off the regen process by over fueling the engine. It doesn't have a separate injector in the exhaust. Consequently, the engine oil gets diluted by fuel every time it regen's causing top-end lubrication problems. I used to drain out about a quart more oil than I put in my 2010.

:):)

We have a 6.4L F-350 at my work that usually has 3-4 liters more "oil" than what the rated capacity of the engine is at 5k kms (3k mile) intervals. :E
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ethanol has ruined millions of small engines, and I would like to see the dollar figure it caused people to pay out.

Claude_B
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, everyone can say what they want about VW and the dieselgate but you should read this before.

http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-01-20/cheating-vws-are-cleaner-than-ethanol

When you live in a house of glass, don't start throwing rocks... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Claude
2013 Gulf Stream VISA 19ERD
VW Touareg TDI 2013
VW Passat 2012 TDI

6_6_Oilburner
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
6.6 Oilburner wrote:
I know I'm going to start a shite storm, but I'm going to say it anyway. The absolute best thing you can do for the longevity of your 6.4 is to Delete the DPF with a very mild tune, which will also shut the EGR off.

I'm not a delete fan but in this case, the 6.4 has the absolute worst DPF strategy in the history of diesel emission controls.

How does the dpf/or egr impact the rockers? I have heard issues with rockers but did not know they were related.

Fords 6.4 pretty much regened whenever they wanted to. It was a bad, bad system. When this happened the fuel would wash down into the sump and dilute the oil into WD40. No matter what Robert Bosch say's diesel fuel is not a good lube. :B

Couple that with Nav's K-Mart stamp steel rockers and you have a recipe for disaster.

I don't know if Ford came up with this dim bulb idea or if it was Nav's stupid idea? (my guess say's it was Nav's?)

Nav's 6.4 junk rockers.

I honestly have yet to get very deep on 6.4s, but from the Ford techs I know and My good bud at NYS DOT, i've gotten the run down on how awful almost everything about them is.

The saying goes as follows. 6.4s run very well for short periods of time.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimh425 wrote:
I have a 2010 6.4 F450 with 106K miles on it. I was on a longer trip and on the way back home. As I was going up mountains, I started losing power and the emissions indicator came up on my dash.

I had noticed that the truck hadn't done the regen for a few days while I was driving relatively slow through Yellowstone/Tetons for hundreds of miles. The text that indicated the regen process did come on for a few seconds along the way.

I was hundreds of miles from home with plenty of mountains on my way. I felt like I needed the DPF to clean, but knew I couldn't manually trigger it. While eating supper, I read an article that was talking about how DPF cleaning additives work. That got me thinking that maybe using a lot of Diesel Kleen could possibly get the truck back to normal.

So, I bought a large grey bottle of Diesel Kleen that is supposed to treat 250 gallons and added it all to the tank and filled up the tank. Maybe a partial waste of $18, but I didn't think it would hurt anything.

I engaged Tow/Haul and started driving. After about an hour of driving, the regen process engaged and completed. We camped for the night.

I didn't add any Diesel Kleen in my next fill up since I thought it still had plenty. The truck continued to regen as normal on the rest of the way home and full power and I added a normal amount of additive on the way home for each fill up. After a few regens and restarts, the emission indicator went off on one of the restarts which implies it thought everything was ok. It stayed off the rest of the trip.

1. Have you done anything similar to the overdose of Diesel Kleen to clean your DPF and get the process going?
2. Do you think my DPF regen is back to normal now or should I have it checked out?
3. It seems like the regen process refuses to start if the DPF is "too" clogged. Is this what others have experienced?
4. What the best preventative measures to take to prevent a recurrence? Driving at higher rpms, adding more additive, both, or something else?

There are some products designed to clean the DPF. Mopar Ecodiesel guy was having problems with his clogged DPF and appears to have maybe added some life.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Glad it worked for you Jim h, but nothing suggests overdosing with power service will help with emissions. Either way, run er til the dpf don't work, and then delete it. No emissions test here.
Or delete it now at your convienence and unleash the beast.....and a few mpgs!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
6.6 Oilburner wrote:

Fords 6.4 pretty much regened whenever they wanted to. It was a bad, bad system. When this happened the fuel would wash down into the sump and dilute the oil into WD40. No matter what Robert Bosch say's diesel fuel is not a good lube. :B

Couple that with Nav's K-Mart stamp steel rockers and you have a recipe for disaster.

I don't know if Ford came up with this dim bulb idea or if it was Nav's stupid idea? (my guess say's it was Nav's?)

Nav's 6.4 junk rockers.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
6.6 Oilburner wrote:

The 6.4 lights off the regen process by over fueling the engine. It doesn't have a separate injector in the exhaust. Consequently, the engine oil gets diluted by fuel every time it regen's causing top-end lubrication problems. I used to drain out about a quart more oil than I put in my 2010.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
It would seem logical that increasing cetane would yield a cleaner burn. Can't hurt. I use Stanadyne performance in every tank. So far no issues.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
6.6 Oilburner wrote:

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
6.6 Oilburner wrote:

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln