cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a member of DieselPlace.com for 8 yrs...pretty much to the day. I would argue that it is likely the best source of information on GM diesels on the net today...over 125,000 members, massive archives and discussion boards for the old 6.2/6.5 liter units as well as every D'Max engine - LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML....a massive DIY Section and some incredibly knowledgeable members.

My goto place for research of anything to do with my vehicle..often finding information that even the dealers know squat about.

Being a member has taught me to research and how to do many standard and some not so standard maintenance things at one tenth the cost and five times the satisfaction of doing it myself.

I consider myself as NOT part of the "entitled class"...nor a non info type. knowledge is power.

I digress...it happens on occasion...something about a cpl of rum n cokes on a Sat Nite! Lol

Btw..Jevanb's advice is solid- have done all that and then some.

Add a secondary oil filter system, lift pump for sure, use B DIESEL or Opti-Lube as additive, block that EGR, stick to 265's for tire size. I could go on...but not the forum for it.

Cheers,
Stk
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

jevanb
Explorer
Explorer
jim summers wrote:
Steakman I agree. I have an 03' Dmax that I love w/ only 90k miles. Never an injector problem. I would like some specific recommendations on the things I can to do to keep it in tip top shape. And improve its performance too. I don't want to loose it. Any idea where I might find these ? There are so many diesel sites but I never see this question. thnx
first of all put in a lift pump (airdog, FASS) you CP3 and injectors will like it. look up EFI Live lots of good tuners out their I use rob`s tunes, put in a down pipe and 4 inch back to a muffler as it will drop you exh temps 200 degrees while towing, and a EGT gage or a CTS monitor. also install (nicktane) adapter on your fuel filter and then you can run larger better filters (CAT)
2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

jim_summers
Explorer
Explorer
been reading about Standyne. when I go south soon I'm gonna' try their products. Been using Lucas stuff for yrs. thnx
`03 Duramax, Nash 25R TT, Equalizer WD

Bedlam
The older injectors and pumps will last longer if you add a lubricant to your fuel. The sulfur used to be that lubricant but now requires a fuel supplement. If you have not been using a cetane booster, starting now will still help you get maximum remaining life. Biodiesel also better lubrication than the low sulfur diesel - If you run this, you may not need to add anything.

My truck was a dedicated RV hauler, so I followed the severe duty maintenance schedule. I'm not sure if helped, but I never had problem because of it.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jim_summers
Explorer
Explorer
Steakman I agree. I have an 03' Dmax that I love w/ only 90k miles. Never an injector problem. I would like some specific recommendations on the things I can to do to keep it in tip top shape. And improve its performance too. I don't want to loose it. Any idea where I might find these ? There are so many diesel sites but I never see this question. thnx
`03 Duramax, Nash 25R TT, Equalizer WD

Bedlam
I agree with you. I replaced my previous diesel with a new one because I wanted to haul more than I could with the old truck platform - It wasn't because I was looking forward to all the new emissions. I even researched the new gassers and was strongly considering one of them until I realized I would be demanding close to the upper limits of these engine ratings.

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
The premium $ on pre '07 diesels is stupid high and newer gasser lack the displacement to do the job...

Things have chaged significantly since I bought my 06 LBZ D'max. (Feb 07)

Fuel has changed (500ppm down to 15ppm S), and with it came some of the most stringent emissions controls around..Canada too. As such I think the discussion has changed as well.

Most of us (at least I think most of us..?), with pre 07 diesels are quite happy to hang on to them - I know I am and would have no issue spending 10-12K for a major overhaul should that be requried: (HG's, Studs, Injectors to start...New down pipe, EGR delete etc).

I simply cannot see buying a new vehicle that is KNUTS on emissions with DPF and all that******at 75K+ in $CAD. What the heck for..?? (only if I needed a live in Model of the Artic Fox type that was in the 13-15k lbs range...then a Dually would be the only way...but at this stage...quite pleased at 268 k Miles.

It's all about Maintenace - Fluids - Learnin how to do body work/painting...(which i did), I plan on keeping this truck till I drive it to my grave.!

See you in 6 months..(-:

stk
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

Bedlam
Sorry, typo on my end. I meant the 6.8 is still available in the larger chassis cabs. I have no idea if GM still has any applications for the 8.1 V8.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
The 8.1 V10 30-valve is available in chassis cabs from F450 to F750. The F450 and and F550 still use the 5R110 transmission while the F650 and F750 use the 6R140.

What 8.1 V10 30-valve ? Ford has a 6.8L V10 30-valve .

Bedlam
The 8.1 V10 30-valve is available in chassis cabs from F450 to F750. The F450 and and F550 still use the 5R110 transmission while the F650 and F750 use the 6R140.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
trcgolf wrote:
I guess a 8.1 isn't available in a super duty

Yep, the 8.1 is gone and the Ford V10 6.8 are only available in 450's and 550 I believe.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
I guess a 8.1 isn't available in a super duty
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't read much about the Ford 6.2 or 8.1 gaser
how are these pulling 11000 lbs up to alaska
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Ah! That clears it up a bit. I thought you meant your trailer weighed 19,500 lbs. I was moving 17,900 lbs with my Hemi powered 2500HD up the low altitude grades at 4200rpm/300hp 60~mph. It's all good. Of all the Cummins Rams I owned, my '01.5 is still my favorite. You'll miss that truck when it's gone.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hannibal wrote:
So your truck idles up the grades at the speed limit towing 1k lbs more than a new 6.7L Cummins powered Ram that can only muster 44 mph foot to the floor at 2800rpm? Once moving, overall gear ratio is what puts the power to the wheels and 2800rpm foot to floor 44mph is using all the gear reduction it can use regardless of rear end ratio. The 6.7L Cummins was maxed out while your '01 idles by at the speed limit in O/D towing 1k lbs more. I'm impressed!

Not what I said.
What I said is;
"well my little 6 at LESS than 300 HP does a great job of moving 19,500# up and down hills at the speed limit, at no more than 2,200 rpm's." The only unclear part might be the 19,500# is my GCVW, while towing. Yes I have a 50 Hp chip, so at most 285 HP.
So my point is that I can move about 11,000# trailer, with at most 285 HP, and 3.55 gears, that 6.7 Ram with 100 more HP is likely running too tall a gear for the load.
I do need to drop to 4th on my 5speed to climb those grades.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"