cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I need sway bar or equalizer?

GravelRider
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to this, and am in the process of buying a 22 ft travel trailer with a dry weight off roughly 3300 lbs. I'm towing it with an F150 with a 9000 lb towing capacity. The dealer is asking if I want a sway bar or an equalizer. If these are needed and make for a vastly better experience, I'll pony up. But I worry they're not needed with this size trailer. What do you guys say?
17 REPLIES 17

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it was me, I would get a weight distribution hitch and a friction sway bar. I've been towing trailers for about 30 years, and every trailer I tow over 2500 - 3000lbs would have one if at all possible.

You can check them out at etrailer.com

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Which dealer, trailer or truck?

Just guessing, it is the trailer dealer, and it's likely you might not need either, given the truck capacity and the size of the trailer.

One important detail to stay on top of, regardless of whether you go for those parts, is tire pressure. A Pickup truck, empty, is going to handle best with lower tire pressures, particularly in the rear, than will be needed when you load it up. Too much air in the rear tires when empty makes them ride hard and bouncy. Load the truck up, however, and too little air will make the truck directionally unstable. It'll be squirrely and you might really need the entire roadway.

With a 3300 lb dry trailer, you are probably looking at 5,000 lbs or so loaded to go camping. This is well within the 9,000 lbs capacity for the truck, and adding the 500-600 lbs tongue weight to the back should be fine. But you will know for sure the first time a semi passes you on the interstate. If you need a sway bar, it'll be because the semi blows you all over the road. If you need a WDH, it'll be because the rear of the truck sags when you hook up the trailer.

My guess is that you won't need either. But you are the one who has to make the call.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find a weight distribution set-up. Transferring some of the tongue weight to the front axle is probably all you'll need. If you're cheap, like me, you can usually find a decent Reese WD hitch for about $250 on Craigslist. You might even find one with the sway set-up.