cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drip Pot Diesel Stove

Ozark_Farmer
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone thought about or made a modification to put in a drip pot diesel stove into their TT for cold weather camping? I had a small one on a fishing boat that was entirely gravity fed from a gal tank and it heated the whole cabin and didnt need electricity to do it.

This would require a small stack and I suspect a lot of people wouldnt want to get any soot on their shiny rigs but for boondocking it seems like a good fit.

Just looking at some options/bouncing some ideas.
26 REPLIES 26

Ozark_Farmer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies guys. I checked out that Dickinson Newport and man thats an attractive stove but probably overkill heat wise and it does use an assist fan. But hey, its cheap at ONLY $1142.11 CN!

I am trying to find some info from European RV sites and see what they use and will post what I find. Some of these stoves even have a small flame you can see and wouldnt that be a pleasant comfort on a cold evening.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those heaters work fine in workboats all over the world . Hooked up properly it should work fine in an RV. On mine the exhaust stack was doubled , the exhaust went up the middle and fresh air was drawn down the outside pipe . Used no oxygen from inside !

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 66M on my 1969 Albin Vega 27' sailboat (Swedish) and it worked very well at least compared to my alcohol kitchen stove and my Volvo MD6-A single cylinder diesel engine with rope start.

Trust me I never left port without my full toolbox.

Come to think of it I never left port that often.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

StewB
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this link. Dickinson stoves are the standard for fish boats on the west coast. Growing up on the water and working off fish boats for many years when I was hard hat diver I never saw a boat without a diesl stove. Very safe, cheap to run. I have seen several installed in old school bus motorhomes and they worked great.

Dickinson makes some realy nice units for pleasure craft that not only work great but look good. I have an old all polished model that is going in my hunting cabin latter this year so the place is nice and warm after a long wet day on the river.

They make heat that feels like wood heat, which is a nice warm soft kinda heat, nothing better on a cold wet west coast day.

http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quite a few years ago I stopped in a gas station during the winter and this guy had a 50 gallon drum that he would fill with waste oil from cars. He had a hot plate under the valve on the drum that he would crack open and it dripped on the hot plate. It heated the whole garage. Seeing as you are already thinking outside the box, may be a smaller waster oil heater can be made for your stove top that would use your vent over the stove so you won't have to put another hole in the roof, a fireproof back splash could be constructed against the back and side walls for safety. Keep us informed of you progress.

Wet_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
mm, great concept. A diesel stove or furnace. Being from one of the coasts and seeing them in lots of boats; I am not sure about cheap and dangerous. They are used worldwide in all kinds of marine applications. If installed properly, they are no different than wood stoves; and I have seen a few of those installed in campers!

Just Googled and found a Newport. Heat Output: Low: 6500 BTU High: 16250 BTU
here's the kicker. Consumption. If I have done the math right. Don't shoot me if I am wrong, it's Friday.

Fuel Consumption / 24hr: 1.29 gal LOW 3.20 gal HIGH 3.20 gals and up here on Vancouver island diesel is going for 1.40 per liter, which X 4 of convert nicely to 1 American gallon.so, 5.20 per gallon x3.2 gals on high. That sucker will cost around $17.00 to run full out.

Propane consumption, rule of thumb: A gas guy told me that one could count on 1 lb per hour per 20,000 btu's. I can get 20lbs of propane at Costco for about $8 last time I filled my tanks. $.40/lb, say 40,000 btu heater, $.80/hr on high.
04 3500 4X4 Auto Cummins QC
Onboard air, Air bags, Pac Brake
05 Cougar 244EFS, Flexair Pin Box, Dexter Equalizers
6x6v, 900watt, 60a Renology MPPT, 2200w Xantrex, 3500w IPower Genset
VA7RKC Advanced

Everything runs on smoke, don't let the smoke out

Ozark_Farmer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses, "suitable for Caravans".....I completely missed that so thanks for that. I knew they were used in campers in Europe but I forgot they called them caravans so I wasnt getting hits on Google (smacks forehead). I couldnt find a picture of the one I am looking at but its a small square about the size of an old 1950s B4 Toastmaster toaster and can be mounted on a bulkhead.

Toyo stoves are great but would be overkill for our small TT. I retired out of the Army from Ft Rich and we heated our small 2 story house with a Toyo...filled a 300 gal oil tank about every 9 months or so which was great and the only supplemental heat we used was some electric baseboards in the bathrooms. We bought a small 14 foot TT because it is all we need, its easy to tow and camp in, and for us, when we use the Alaska Marine Highway you get charged by height and length so.....

The metering valve...well its really just a needle valve where you adjust the fuel flow manually and so it is hard to adjust the heat. A stove like this would only be good and used if its pretty cold out or to warm up the rig in the mornings as they tend to be hard to regulate heat wise and they will drive you out.

As for the walled tent and wood stove; we are of an age and have some physical impairments that make that less appealing. We are still adventurous but as much as I like to think I am as ready to go today as I was 20 years ago I have to be realistic. And another factor for us, we really, really, really like bringing a bathroom with us. I never thought that would be a big deal but man that alone makes me wonder why we tent camped all those years!

We are also looking at some sort of wind generation to charge the batteries like they use on sail boats. I am kind of playing around with building some sort of portable mast that would fit into one of the stake pockets on the truck to mount a small wind generator on when we are camped.

And finally, waste oil heaters. I love the idea and will check it out. I even like that idea for heating my pole barn shop since we generate a lot of waste oil with the farm machinery. Thanks for that idea.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Google waste oil heaters and there are a myriad of choices. I sold waste oil furnaces and also drip style heaters and they are quite safe and are an EPA approved way of disposing of used oil. You can burn quite a few different fuels in them. Trackrig is correct about the pipe having to be a certain length to have the proper draw.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ozarak Farmer - the stove you're looking at is a good one, I use it in a tent out moose hunting. Sometimes to get the proper draw, it may require more stove pipe than what you want to put up.

For your purposes in an RV, you should use a Toyo stove. Some require electricity (12V ?) if you want to set a thermostat and others don't. Instead of a pipe up through the roof, you put one pipe out the side which brings in the fresh combustion air and sends out the exhaust. They're very economical and safe to run.

Toyo stove clicky

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Bearhawk
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:

this is the same thing but is for heating water in large garbage cans…

I hated carrying & cleaning these things, the only thing good was warm water for ablutions.

If you are still below the barrenlands I would use a wall tent and wood stove. More portable, lighter and super warm. That is what the caribou hunters I know use.
Bearhawk (n): A Plansbuilt Amature Aircraft. An expensive hobby that was replaced by 2007 29FBS Jayco Jayflight G2 & 2008 F350 Crew with 6.4L Diesel
At least this adventure flew off the drawing board and running out of fuel is not as dangerous! :B

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
If they accurately meter out the fuel and compensate for the temp differences I am sure they would work, I know they will heat well… what is powering the metering valve???
I just haven’t kept up with them and as I age I think more about ways to get closer to the equator anyway…

The DW will get used to those amenities pretty quick… don’t let her read about inverters powering hair driers…
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Their website says:

Type 66M
Den lille olieovn med den store effektivitet.
Særlig velegnet til mindre styrehuse og mindre lystfartøjer, men kan også anvendes til campingvogne.

"...suitable for caravans."

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm off to check this out.

Ozark_Farmer
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
Ozark Farmer wrote:
Jump down off the hostility wagon guys, I have a properly functioning propane furnace but travel in the far north a lot (arctic and sub arctic) and do not generally camp in campgrounds. Here to fore I have tent camped or used a pop up where such a stove wasnt practical and I am not looking for cheap here as these are far from inexpensive.

Its clear most of you have no idea what I am talking about but these stoves are very common around the world and I even used them in the Army. They are a non-pressurized system that uses a metering valve to regulate the fuel and I have had one in a fishing boat and in a cabin and they work great.

This is a particular stove I have been impressed with in the past but there are several others of various sizes: http://www.refleks-olieovne.dk/default.asp?pagenumber=1567.

I have to say, throwing out a question and getting flak for thinking differently because I have different needs is not a very encouraging sign for this forum.

Sorry I know exactly what you are talking about, we used them in the service to… I also owned one that was in a small but old mobile home… the metering valve was nothing more than a normal valve, counter clockwise to open and turn it more for higher gravity feed fuel flow… when the fuel warms from either the sun or the ambient temps the flow increases and the wheel needed constant adjustments…

in the service someone was always awake to keep an eye on them…

now it’s been awhile since I was in the service or used the one I owned, so things might of changed… what hasn’t changed is my opinion of them…

this is the same thing but is for heating water in large garbage cans…

if so what’s different today and how is it different???
I posted the link to Refleks stoves earlier. Those old Yukon stoves and the immersion heaters are admittedly dangerous and I want nothing to do with them but that is also WW II technology.

The particular stove I am looking at is something like this but about half the size:

Honestly, I am kind of surprised so many people dont know about these stoves. They may not be practical for an RV which is what I am exploring but so far I havent figured out why they wouldnt work.