cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dumb Question re: outlets

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
Are the outlets supposed to work when only the batteries are used for power? The lights all work but none of the outlets. At first I thought it was normal because plugs might be drawing too much from the batteries but the more I think about it the more I am wondering.

Thanks!
2005 "New to Us" Thor Wanderer, 21'
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
23 REPLIES 23

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
You have convinced me...I'm gonna get the stove top percolator ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 "New to Us" Thor Wanderer, 21'
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Mjoseph320 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response ๐Ÿ™‚

So if we stop at a rest area or Wally World for the night I guess I'm out of luck to make coffee in the morning lol

Not at all if you have a stove top percolator. Remember them? :B

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Start perking it on the stove. It could ruin you. You might not want to go back to drip.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
We use a re-usable pour over cone filter for coffee. Small, lightweight (we also use it when backpacking), and makes a GREAT cup of coffee.

BTW - if using an inverter, divide watts by 10 to get a rough estimate of amperage. 1000W will pull close to 100 amps. Also, if you have a group 31 battery (~100 amp hours), you can draw it down to about 50%, which means it'll last for about half an hour at that rate with no other load. There are lots of other small loads though (refrigerator control circuit and propane solenoid, lights, water heater control circuit, igniter and solenoid, and more ...). Another big draw on the battery is the furnace - the blower motor draws a lot.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of your questions will be answered here:

The 12 Volt Side of Life
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

nunuc2000
Explorer
Explorer
the_happiestcamper wrote:
Mjoseph320 wrote:

So if we stop at a rest area or Wally World for the night I guess I'm out of luck to make coffee in the morning lol

I prefer using an old fashioned percolator, but Coleman does make a drip maker that sits on your gas stovetop - we have one and it works well.

nunuc2000
Explorer
Explorer
the_happiestcamper wrote:
Mjoseph320 wrote:

I prefer using an old fashioned percolator, but Coleman does make a drip maker that sits on your gas stovetop - we have one and it works well.

x2 - we have the same Coleman drip coffee maker and really like it a lot!!

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Every 120v electrical question seems to stop for coffee ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

advntrs
Explorer
Explorer
French presses are great. There is also another option, the European way. Pouring hot water over a cone filter containing coffee. You can find these anywhere.
08 F-350 Super Crew 6.4
08 28' Keystone VR-1
"Every man dies, but not every man truly lives"

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
Mjoseph320 wrote:

Not really. Carry a regular coffee perk-pot with you and use the kitchen stove. Perked coffee tastes better anyway but takes longer to make. I couldn't live without my coffee. We spend nights at Walmart also. We carry the perk pot and a propane lantern so as not to draw down the battery with the electric lights. When off to FL or NY we spend 2 to 3 nights on the road. We have no generator but plenty of coffee and light as needed. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
I am all so for the french press.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Do a forum search on Walmart. Don't assume that overnight parking is allowed just because it's a Walmart. Check with the store manager, and also be aware of local ordinances banning overnight parking. Welcome to the forums and happy camoing!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Mjoseph320 wrote:

Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Couple of block diagrams RV electrical system.

With just a converter......

With converter & inverter.....
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31