cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Easier access to cabover bed

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
On the round to it forever but I sort of finally addressed.
Not what I envisioned but will, at least for a while, make climbing up and down into the cabover easier.

Really wanted a wide tread ladder-but due to slide out, water tank box just would be involved.
Still may address later but for now...Simple extension of existing 'stirrup' into full width step.
Previously..

Step onto water tank box, then right foot on the 'stirrup', then hoist up onto bed. Just not getting any easier.
Every time I start to address end up stumped and giving up. Biggest hurtle is when slide out is in, no room for nice ladder.
It would need to hinge or be manually stored. Second is water tank box puts the foot of any 'ladder' out pretty far.

Studying above picture is when I concluded the real usage issue is the stirrup.
The distance wouldn't decrease but if full width, would allow to step onto it. Not hoisting with foot on it from water tank box,
or coming down, sliding down with left foot on stirrup till the right foot finds box.

Sketched it out..think this'll work, some (several) details but went and gathered up materials and started cutting.

Cut 3/4" plywood for the step, it'll hinge to side cabinet. Leg hinged to step, used 1/2 ply.
Cut it wider at base, hopefully to counter length of step against hinge.

Wrapped boards in leftover carpet, used scrap of 1/2"x3/4" al channel for a wider foot.

Standing new step against cabinet it wouldn't stand vertically-hit the 1x2 that use to hold drop in shelf and the top of cabinet.
I pulled the 1x2 and trimmed opposite end of top so only 1/2" overhang.

Simple hook and eye to hold up in stored position. Placed the removed 1x2 on floor to keep leg from folding under.

Deployed- Margaret really likes it. Watching though I noted how much leverage end of step was putting on piano hinge at cabinet end.
Tried to address but simply working the hinge.

Ordered some over-center cam latches. #4002, sold by many online vendors.

Bent the catches a bit and mounted reversed as latch will be pulling at right angle instead of flat as designed

'Just' enough room (1/8" clear) to swing handle over to engage latch into catches, then swing up to tension.
Shear luck but they securely plant end of step.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com
25 REPLIES 25

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
Out on the road 'proof of concept' leaving a bit to be desired. The step,in use awesome but setting up the latches seems to have 'swelled', takes a bit of fiddling to engage? Something to do when we get home-course then they worked when there. Maybe a regional thing, worked great at sea level ๐Ÿ™‚

Aren't the latches adjustable for cam over tension?
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Out on the road 'proof of concept' leaving a bit to be desired. The step,in use awesome but setting up the latches seems to have 'swelled', takes a bit of fiddling to engage? Something to do when we get home-course then they worked when there. Maybe a regional thing, worked great at sea level ๐Ÿ™‚

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"but rather coming down half asleep in the middle of the night."

Pray tell, why would you beith coming down...in the middle of the night? lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
That's nice looking work, and highly functional.
Cal

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
You'd think (probably not) that builder would address getting into and out of a cab over bed, especially for the older set (like my wife and I.

I cheaped out and bought a Topline aluminum bunk ladder. I looked at wooden ones and even considered building one (with my limited woodworking skills, probably would have been not too cool) so I bought a pre built one.

I like the Topline ladder because it locks into 2 moulded hard plastic hinge affairs that screw to the bulkhead on the bed rail and it locks in so it cannot slide out and let you fall on your kester in the middle of the night for those midnight whiz trips we oldsters always have to make.

very secure but removes in a flash and stores on the bed so it takes up no precious room, always a premium in a truck camper.

My wife and I like it and it works well.... and it's very lightweight too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the hinge-up idea... Looking good...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
The step up into our bunk was quite high also. Not such a problem getting into bed but rather coming down half asleep in the middle of the night. This was my first and highest priority for Yoly. With some difficulty, I did manage to get some matching material for the sake of esthetics.

I had to have the front open to access the converter and hung screen over the front to allow ventilation (cooling fans in converter).

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice, well thought out.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Very nicely done, I could use something like that. Just what I need another project, lol.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Looks very good...practical...matches up. Nice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Well 4 hours later finally posted-not sure whats up with the forum-
Trying to preview post and 'verify not a robot loop took me back to square one...more effort than the step
Anyway, there are a couple other threads along this subject-just what we ended up doing in ours

Slide in

Slide out

New step down