Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electrical connection

capsfloyd
Explorer
Explorer
What to use to clean the trailer round connection to the truck plug
getting some green corrosion on the copper plugs?
7 REPLIES 7

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use contact cleaner. Hose it down and while it's still wet, run the plug in and out several times. Let the contact surfaces make their own path. I agree with the dielectric grease also, just never used it myself. No issues in 8 years.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Caig Deoxit D5 or Deoxit Gold G5 are what I use.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
CRC electric contacts cleaner, nasty stuff that needs to be used in a very well ventilate area!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Age old, time tested, been around forever cleaner solution for battery connections anywhere on an automobile, plugs, batteries, anywhere that green-white corrosion build up occurs:

Baking Soda mixed in water. Simply put the plug in the water and watch it foam everything off. Then rinse the plug with clean water! This is as old and timeless as the automobile! It's still the safest and it's still the cheapest.

You can make the baking soda into a paste and bush on with a small paint brush or pour on from a cup to. The thicker the better. Simple, easy, cheap and works.

I've used this on battery connections and it works great.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
After they are clean put some dielectric grease on the connectors.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Age old, time tested, been around forever cleaner solution for battery connections anywhere on an automobile, plugs, batteries, anywhere that green-white corrosion build up occurs:

Baking Soda mixed in water. Simply put the plug in the water and watch it foam everything off. Then rinse the plug with clean water! This is as old and timeless as the automobile! It's still the safest and it's still the cheapest.

You can make the baking soda into a paste and bush on with a small paint brush or pour on from a cup to. The thicker the better. Simple, easy, cheap and works.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I use DeOx Spray. While some use emery cloth or sandpaper, that will eventually remove the plating, making things worse.