cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy Upper Bumps ***UPDATE***

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using the 2 1/2" ones with a little improvement over stock, they work OK. They just mash down and give me little sooner overload engagement. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9-9109g/overview/

So I ordered the 4 1/2" ones to see if they engage a little sooner, but they just spread out and don't do much, fail.

Stable loads? I don't know, getting expensive. Maybe just stick with the 2.5" ones?
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73
33 REPLIES 33

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Farmerjon wrote:
c.traveler2 wrote:
It's always disappointing when you buy a product and it doesn't work the way you though it should. With the help of my friend Dave we made 4 overload extensions that engage the overload springs instantly.

Good job. Are the bumpers shown different heights?

The bumpers toward the rear are longer.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
turboo wrote:

http://www.torklift.com/index.php/products/suspension/stableload#a7311

At the risk of being completely wrong , as I am by no means a suspension expert , this type of spacer seems to alter the spring dynamics in a negative way . In a spring pack the leaf above is in continuous contact with the one above over it's entire area . It seems that the lower overload leaf is meant to perform the same way , when the spring pack is loaded it will lay on the overload over it's whole length . With the Stable Loads , or similar ,it will have a point load on the spring pack above . I realize that leaf springs are not perfectly seated on each other but the principle is there .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Bedlam
You can put a spacer between the StableLoads and perches or a spacer between the upper overload springs and main spring pack to get the desired preload. If you have spare suspension parts laying around, you may already have everything at home to get this done. Adding spacers over the main spring pack will not change your drive line angles or give your axle more leverage to twist the springs.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
My springs are getting tired. All four ends of the upper secondaries engage the stable loads at different times together. The best, if expensive solution is to buy a complete set of aftermarket springs that are made to be completely compatible as a unit. DJ has them. I have made it a hobby to work over my spring packs adding leaves and overload capacity with varying results. Except for the complete replacement set, add-ons are really a crap-shoot. They do not take into account the current condition of your spring packs or the actual load you will carry. Recently I added a thick, 3" lift spring to each pack. I do like the ride better and with the TC on I got 2" of lift, but the Stable Loads are now too far away from the secondaries to do any good except at that tiny apex when I'm at the max load with the camper (read: 3 completely full tanks; not a place i enjoy). So, now I must add some height to the Stable loads to make them engage sooner: a work in progress to be sure.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
When my truck is completely empty, the gap from the factory stop and the OL spring is about 4". I added the 2" tube steel spacer and use my air bag pressure to make everything fit just right.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

turboo
Explorer
Explorer
What about the lower Stableloads that fit between the lower overload springs( that I didn't even knew I had!)
http://www.torklift.com/index.php/products/suspension/stableload#a7311

Bedlam
The StableLoads are all the same height. They should average about an 1" from the overload spring when unloaded so they do not affect unloaded ride. If you wanted maximum preload on your overload springs, you would have all the pads contact the spring when unloaded (like the blue ones pictured).

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, I just remembered that the left rear tire was beginning to sag and become separated. Got new tires as a result, but haven't loaded the camper since. I'd bet that was the problem.

Back to the stable loads... are the front and rears different lengths? Didn't really notice when I installed them.

Since the OL springs engage "progressively", it seems if something is used to engage them sooner, it should be sized accordingly as well. Just a thought. By engaging them equally, front to rear (or rear to front, however it works) pretty much ruins how they were designed to function, correct?
But then, having the OL's engage prematurely to begin with by anything other than the stock stops in there, changes the geometry altogether, right? Makes it's a moot point, I guess. Am I correctly understanding how they work?

I never did spend much time researching the specific details of how the OL's work in stock configuration. All I knew was that I needed SL's after I put the camper on, so I bought em. Made a remarkable difference in load height and sway.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
That really hurts, man. And here I thought I was doing so good with my diet.
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
joeshmoe wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Super Dave is correct. If you are leaning to the right or left, your load is not balanced or your springs are losing their temper.

It can't be load balance. There's nothing that heavy on that side. At times, it seems to lean heavily to the drivers side. But going down the hwy, it's pretty level.

Maybe its telling you ya need to go on a diet. :B Just kidding
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Super Dave is correct. If you are leaning to the right or left, your load is not balanced or your springs are losing their temper.

It can't be load balance. There's nothing that heavy on that side. At times, it seems to lean heavily to the drivers side. But going down the hwy, it's pretty level.
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Got it. He said "one side engaging first". Took that to mean side-to-side which doesn't make sense come think of it.
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

Bedlam

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
joeshmoe wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
If the standoffs were designed to engage all the time, I would say yes. The Ford upper overload spring engagement is progressive with one side engaging before the other.

Is that why mine leans so heavily to the left?

Might be different thoughts going here. I think Bedlam was referring to the front of the spring pack vs. the back of the spring pack, not left or right.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk