cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eternabond tape on roof laps over sealant

LoudDog
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone put eternatape over the laps on their roof and regretted it?

It seems like a great way to insure they are all sealed and should be maintenance free for quite a while?

If you needed to remove it for any reason would it be nearly impossible? Or would you just re-tape over it?

I want to do it but I'm looking for the reasons to not do it so I know what I'm getting into.
TV: 2012 Ram 2500
TT: 2023 Cougar 22MLS
18 REPLIES 18

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
Well, took the TT to the selling dealer today for some minor work...rep. sees the tape job, asks 'why on earth did you DO that'?, and tells me that: a.) it's not necessary b.) it'll trap water if any water ever gets beneath the tape, and c.) any claim under the roof warranty may get kicked on grounds that the roof has been 'modified'....

I know you aren't the original poster of this information, but I find it to be incredibly stupid...

A It isn't necessary, but you have to do SOMETHING with those seals. You either get on a ladder, climb on the roof and inspect/re-caulk them 3-4 times a year or you put a more permanent solution in place.

B ... unless you put the tape down WRONG, or there is already water underneath the tape, I'm not sure how you can get "water beneath the tape". That sounds like complete nonsense to me. Put the tape down correctly on a structurally sound roof and you won't have any problems ever. By the way... if you put caulk on 4 times a year like Jayco tells you too, you would trap that same mysterious water under the caulk too. Ridiculous!

C The roof manufacturer would have to prove that the roof failure was a direct result of putting Eternabond tape over the seam. Again, I cannot foresee any instance where that applies.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:

Old subject that comes up once in a while. The tape every thing has supporters but is not maintenance free.

This guy found this out on his brand new TT with Eternabond tape job he did on his trailers roof;

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/11 11:13am Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
A while back, I opened a thread asking whether eterna-bonding the roof seams on an almost-new TT as a preventative measure was a good idea ...the virtually unanimous opinion was 'yes'....

Well, took the TT to the selling dealer today for some minor work...rep. sees the tape job, asks 'why on earth did you DO that'?, and tells me that: a.) it's not necessary b.) it'll trap water if any water ever gets beneath the tape, and c.) any claim under the roof warranty may get kicked on grounds that the roof has been 'modified'....

thought i did the right thing by sealing the seams, but now not so sure....
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

If you go with a tape product on your trailers roof get the trailer mfg or rood material recommendation on which product is safe.
Once you decide which product to use follow their instructions to the letter.

IMO that selling dealer is an IDIOT and probably one that says "Yea no problem that will tow this or that".

I'll take an almost guaranteed leak proof roof over one that your are playing Russian Roulette with at best any day.

Dealers don't like Eternabond since it takes away from their constant income from re-caulking constantly and forever and the repair income from all the leaks from caulking only on roofs.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

LoudDog
Explorer
Explorer
good input, thanks!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

Old subject that comes up once in a while. The tape every thing has supporters but is not maintenance free.

This guy found this out on his brand new TT with Eternabond tape job he did on his trailers roof;

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/11 11:13am Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
A while back, I opened a thread asking whether eterna-bonding the roof seams on an almost-new TT as a preventative measure was a good idea ...the virtually unanimous opinion was 'yes'....

thought i did the right thing by sealing the seams, but now not so sure....
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

If you go with a tape product on your trailers roof get the trailer mfg or rood material recommendation on which product is safe.
Once you decide which product to use follow their instructions to the letter.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
I put 3" eternabond on my 2010 Rockwood 2604 front and back roof seams, covering all the screws and joints, after cleaning well with acetone. I also put some around the 3 rooftop vents and the skylight. That was 5 years ago and the eternabond still looks new.

Last year I developed a leak around the front cap window, which I successfully sealed with a good cleaning and 3M white sealing tape. Much easier than trying to remove and reapply caulk.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the finished edges on my roof after I applied Eternabond Webseal and painted the roof. I extended the tape over the plastic screw cover and down the other side of the aluminum trim bar.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

LoudDog
Explorer
Explorer
I'm questioning the sides also because there isn't a good flat surface on the side to apply it. I could go down into the gutter but the smooth plastic surface won't be great for adhesion and it will be tough to get a good press in there.

I'm worried it would just peel up after a few years.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Try Amazon for all of the above.
Link
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond is a great product. I have it on all my roof seams and joints. It is sold online at various vendors and the small hand rollers can be purchased at the same. #1 part of the Eternabond process is getting everything hospital-clean on the area it is to be applied. Also, it will not adhere to silicone so if anyone is using that, it has to be totally removed, even the silicone film.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

j_p_f_
Explorer
Explorer
I looked for eternabond at CW but only found a house brand not the original eternabond, is it the same thing? has anybody used it?
and I'm having trouble finding a roller, none at CW, wally, home depot or lowes, where are they?

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it is completely worth doing. The enemy of all RV's is water infiltration. I was waiting for my warranty to expire before I did mine, it expired last month so Eternabond is on the agenda for this spring.

I tape the sides and the front and back. Clean the surface well, I spend the extra couple dollars and buy the Eternaprime or Eternaclean (I forget what its called...) and spray and wipe it down really well. I have a hard rubber roller to activate the adhesive, per the instructions.

I have my wife help me by holding one end of the tape while I roll it out to the other end. The instructions say (or used to say) to be careful not to stretch the product, as it won't adhere as well. Take your time, don't stretch it and make sure its lined up level. Pull the backing off the tape and gently press it to hold it. Once everything is in place, go back over with a hard roller to thoroughly activate the adhesive.

The stuff works GREAT. The OEM caulk is poor quality and a poor design. Those seams can leak from anywhere, so if you are going to tape it, tape all 4 sides. Good luck and enjoy the camping season, its quickly approaching!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

LoudDog
Explorer
Explorer
Also, best way to clean before application?

LoudDog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! is it worth doing the sides? Or just do the front, back, and slide?

Looking at how the sides of the roof are designed there shouldn't be a leak there.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I put Eternabond on each new trailer as soon as we get it. Only downside may come if you need warranty work. Within the first year my tt had a recall due to not enough screws being used to secure the front cap along the roof top. There was no way I was going to pull it all off to add a few screws. I figure the Eternabond would hold it better than some short screws in thin plywood anyways.

I did have to remove the Eternabond the first time I did it. It didn't adhere completely. My fault, didn't clean or roll it out enough. It's a messy job but do-able with a heat gun. Make sure you clean the areas well and use a lot of pressure when rolling it on.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley