cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extended warranty. What are your thoughts

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
My 2017 Ford dually 350 truck has 12,000 miles on it. Thinking of buying an extended warranty????? I was picking up a B&W hitch I purchase at supply shop just after I purchased the Ford and ran into a Dodge service manager. He told me years ago that the best advice he would give anyone is to purchase an extended warranty before your truck factory warranty runs out. With the newer truck electronics, if anything needs replacing it will cost you thousands.

Any recommendations and or advice?
Chuck
61 REPLIES 61

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
The max care plan saved my rear 3 times on our Eco diesel. It also paid 1k in trip interruption on the last fissco, all hotels and food.
So, when we bought the left over new 18 ctd in December, it was another max care or no deal.8yr 125k. Its a no brainer with a modern diesel, tech shortages and parts that can be thousands and weeks out to get delivered and installed. Plus sleeping well is well, priceless.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate due to "service temporarily unavailable."

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
With a warranty, a dealer is required to fix that complex problem, without the warranty you may have an issue finding someone that wants the job.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
That is how insurance works...the same for life insurance, health insurance, home insurance, etc. look it up and learn how insurance works

Sell many, many and just a small number will need it

Why donโ€™t folks cancel their home insurance...because they havenโ€™t had the need to use it?...or your health insurance because you havenโ€™t had a need to use it?...etc

Of course...there are good insurance companies...ok insurance companies...to rotten insurance companies...

That is correct. It is a way to mitigate risk based on your tolerance and financial situation.

And for those that state, "just put the insurance amount in the bank and use that". That only works IF the repair is cheaper than the premium. But you are purchasing the insurance/warranty to protect from a repair greater than the premium.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you buy an extended warranty you are placing a bet that you will need it , the warranty company are betting that you will not and /or they can deny the work .

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
OH48Lt wrote:
Generally, extended warranties are mostly a gamble that the manufacturer and dealer usually win. I have never bought one for anything I own, except for my last purchase. That was for my Mustang Bullitt, and it has a TON of electronics and Bullitt-specific parts. I bought the 8yr/60K plan because I know I'll keep it that long.

If you are going to buy an extended warranty, NEVER go with a third party. Buy Ford's ESP.

X2. Also, you can buy from ANY AUTHORIZED RAM/GM/FORD DEALER so shop online for the best price then get your dealer to match it. When I bought my 2016 CTD I received a quote from an out of state Ram dealer for $2200 for the longest warranty available; 8 years, 120 miles. I simply told my dealer I would buy it "from them or buy it from you" it made no difference to me.

Time will tell if it was worth it but repairs on these modern diesels can be very expensive.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
PT Barnum had a good quote that could apply to extended warranties...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
Generally, extended warranties are mostly a gamble that the manufacturer and dealer usually win. I have never bought one for anything I own, except for my last purchase. That was for my Mustang Bullitt, and it has a TON of electronics and Bullitt-specific parts. I bought the 8yr/60K plan because I know I'll keep it that long.

If you are going to buy an extended warranty, NEVER go with a third party. Buy Ford's ESP.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

Racer12
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Ford with the 6.0 diesel that I bought new. Before the factory warranty ran out I bought the extended warranty from Ford so I had 8 years of warranty, it cost $2200 dollars and I came out way ahead.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Chuck .. wrote:
He told me years ago that the best advice he would give anyone is to purchase an extended warranty before your truck factory warranty runs out. With the newer truck electronics, if anything needs replacing it will cost you thousands.

I'm not sure how advice from "years ago" has any correlation to "newer trucks"

add-on warranties are a huge profit center for dealers, that's why they push them so hard.

I agree. I need to go seethe Dealer at Dishman this week and probably will get hosed but better than paying warranty. Most times Chrysler care has taken good care of me as well after repairs.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
So motofell1 made out good on extended warranty (which also covers dealer mechanic incompetency, coincidentally). Good insurance policy, for him.
But one is playing the law of averages, propensity for performing repairs and their own mechanical ability when considering ext warranty.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Chuck .. wrote:
He told me years ago that the best advice he would give anyone is to purchase an extended warranty before your truck factory warranty runs out. With the newer truck electronics, if anything needs replacing it will cost you thousands.

I'm not sure how advice from "years ago" has any correlation to "newer trucks"

add-on warranties are a huge profit center for dealers, that's why they push them so hard.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:
Good advice so far about shopping around and going only with a factory backed service contract. As everyone says, the warranty companies and dealers are in business to make money. Keep in mind A LOT of that money is from people overpaying so you can do a lot of damage control just by purchasing right. They also make a lot of money by people selling the vehicle before the coverage runs out.

I bought one on my 2014 Ram and it's paid off big time. I've had exhaust manifold bolts (2K?) and a tranny rebuild (4-5K?) done. Mine is a a lifetime which means it's good until the repair exceeds the value of the truck. I paid $2200 for it. Mainy, for me, if I didn't have the warranty there's no way I'd still have the truck. It's a company vehicle and I have to be able to manage my costs. I can't have a sudden 5K expense. When I look at how much it costs to do a trade-in and buy a new truck it's a no-brainer. Having the warranty/service contract has allowed me to save a lot by not having to buy/sell. Nonetheless, there will always be the bashers telling me I'm crazy and am throwing money away which is fine. To each their own.

I had forgotten about that lifetime warranty until I read your post. I'm interested in more details on your Ram including engine, transmission, mileage, etc. and what the repairs were.

Lifetime warranty was offered up until about 1-2 years ago. Diesels were excluded but you could still get 125K/7years or something close - that's also the max now after they stopped the Lifetime. There are different tiers but most have what's called the "Maxcare" which is generally an extension of the bumper to bumper factory warranty - Although it's a "service contract" so there are some differences. I've had no trouble getting things covered but have done absolutely zero mods of any kind.

I had heard of the annual check-up that Fish mentions and I think that was probably a thing at one time but is not anymore. I've asked a few times and service advisers don't know what I'm talking about. I also don't find any mention in my contract.

I have all service and repairs done at the dealership so it keeps things super simple. I'm totally in the minority in that I've kept my truck for 6+ years and have done no mods to void the warranty (service contract).

As for problems, my tranny failed at 37K miles and was covered under original powertrain warranty. I knew it wasn't right after the repair and argued a bit with the dealer but couldn't get anywhere. Knowing I had the extended warranty I just ran with it and sure enough, it went out again at 93K. Got it back and it was okay for about 2 weeks and 500 miles and blew again. Repaired.... again, and has been fine for about 6 months. I suppose it feels good but it's hard to say. Honestly, there is no way in hell I'd own this truck without being covered by a warranty of some type.

The other repair I mention is the exhaust manifold bolts. I was in for an oil change and complained of a noise and they said the bolts on both manifolds needed to be done. Honestly, if I'd been paying out of pocket I'd never have let them do the repair because I barely heard anything.... AND the noise I heard is still there after their repair.

I know it's easy for everyone to brand bash but from reading these forums for years you'll find horror stories with every brand. I really can't imagine owning any truck these days without a warranty of some type. Everyone on these forums is far too hung up on anecdotal evidence. Basically, they let their experience or that of a single family member/friend dictate an opinion of the brand as a whole.

Just to answer all your questions after all my ramblings.... truck is a 2014 Ram 6.4 Hemi 4X4 currently at 96K. Hoping to keep it for a while longer. She's paid off and still moves the RV reasonably well. Although, the new trucks sure do look nice!

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
That is how insurance works...the same for life insurance, health insurance, home insurance, etc. look it up and learn how insurance works

Sell many, many and just a small number will need it

Why donโ€™t folks cancel their home insurance...because they havenโ€™t had the need to use it?...or your health insurance because you havenโ€™t had a need to use it?...etc

Of course...there are good insurance companies...ok insurance companies...to rotten insurance companies...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:
Good advice so far about shopping around and going only with a factory backed service contract. As everyone says, the warranty companies and dealers are in business to make money. Keep in mind A LOT of that money is from people overpaying so you can do a lot of damage control just by purchasing right. They also make a lot of money by people selling the vehicle before the coverage runs out.

I bought one on my 2014 Ram and it's paid off big time. I've had exhaust manifold bolts (2K?) and a tranny rebuild (4-5K?) done. Mine is a a lifetime which means it's good until the repair exceeds the value of the truck. I paid $2200 for it. Mainy, for me, if I didn't have the warranty there's no way I'd still have the truck. It's a company vehicle and I have to be able to manage my costs. I can't have a sudden 5K expense. When I look at how much it costs to do a trade-in and buy a new truck it's a no-brainer. Having the warranty/service contract has allowed me to save a lot by not having to buy/sell. Nonetheless, there will always be the bashers telling me I'm crazy and am throwing money away which is fine. To each their own.

I had forgotten about that lifetime warranty until I read your post. I'm interested in more details on your Ram including engine, transmission, mileage, etc. and what the repairs were.

Years ago Chrysler offered a lifetime warranty on their trucks but excluded trucks with the Cummins. You had to take the truck in for a annual inspection.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"