cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending the shower hose

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
Our TC did not come with an outdoor shower. I thought it would be easy just to extend the interior shower hose so that it could be used outside. I'd run it through the doorway, not put a hole in the wall or anything. Perhaps with some sort of quick-connect system so that the extension would not be on there all the time. The shower head has one of those on/off buttons on it.

Has anyone done this? Was it worth it?

Thanks, Del
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650
17 REPLIES 17

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Hey I made a small trench with the point of a stick...it works. As said if the pressure is low on your unit take the restrictor out of the shower head right where the threads to the hose is, also make sure there is noty another restrictor at the fuacet end of the hose...that will help loads..plus the end of the galley tap has a restrictor in the aerator that if removed will not bother the aeration process, just make sure you get the bits back in the right order minus the restr. Your pump is a whole lot better than most think.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.
You all have made some good points. I would think that the hose would need to be around 12-15 feet to reach from the existing shower pipe, out the door, around the TC to some location on the driver's side. I was not picturing that long of a hose in my mind. Gives me some pause.
I like the idea of the garden weed-block material to stand on... that would be a lot lighter and smaller than the wooden platform I was thinking about.
Also a good point about the ground sloping away so as not to create a large puddle. That might be a tricky thing to find at a lot of sites.
I guess it would not be "green" to dig out a little trench to allow the water to run away from the site.
As far as water pressure... that is a tough one. The shower pipe is way up there above where we would be standing outside to shower, but it would have to go back uphill from its low point to reach our heads.

We had an outside shower on the Holiday Rambler and the DW loved to use it to wash off sand while camping a the beach. I also think it would be nice to have an outside faucet for several reasons, but I am not sure, yet, about cutting out an area to ad a true outside unit.

A lot to think about. Again thanks to all.

Del
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
That's because your SHOWER HEAD is internally restricted. Disconnect the head from the hose and turn the hot and cold on full blast. You should get a nice, full 1/2" ID stream... or at least you should.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm basing my opinion on my own experience that the shower feels like someone is spitting on me even at the shower wall.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
Who said his pressure was weak now?
I'm sure there is some kind of measurable pressure loss through 15' of hose, but I bet it would not be noticeable.

Good point about the doorway though. I wouldn't want to deal with 15' of shower head hose or have a puddle at the door. Perhaps you could find a decent place to go thorough a window or an existing opening somewhere.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
I can't imagine an extra 6' of shower hose is going to cause THAT much head loss, especially if you are going to be using it outside the camper where it can gain a few feet of head due to gravity.

6' barely gets him to the back door and who wants a puddle right in front of the door? I was thinking more like 12' - 15' to get him where a standard outside shower box would be. Also, each of the fittings added reduces pressure. I'm not a hydraulic engineer but if the pressure is deemed weak now, it won't be good with the system he is inquiring about.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't it be fairly easy to just find a suitable place to cut out for a box outside and tee in to the existing plumbing so you can install an outside shower? If you use it as often as we do, it would be worth it IMO. It's awesome to just rinse off or to cool yourself off.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just to be clear, 1/2" pipe thread won't connect to a garden hose, but it WILL connect to shower hose.

Only thing is I don't know of a quick connect that would be suitable.

What I would do is get another shower hose and head/nozzle, and to use it, just unscrew the original shower head, and screw on the second hose assembly using a 1/2" NPT brass male-male coupler.

Your water runs all through the camper with just 1/2" PEX tubing. I can't imagine an extra 6' of shower hose is going to cause THAT much head loss, especially if you are going to be using it outside the camper where it can gain a few feet of head due to gravity.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam
Our outside shower has a quick-fitting allowing the use of a regular garden hose. We use it to clean ourselves and off-road vehicles instead of hauling a lot dirt inside. We also wash dishes or our dogs outside since you can mix hot and cold water.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Is your galley sink closer to the door? Just get a garden hose sink fauwcet adater...they used them in utility rooms before the faucet came with hose threads. Your galley sink may be closer. The typical shower head shut off drips, so it would need to be outside before you turn it on, then how far from the door will you use this...could be a big mess outside...even with Lance outside shower opposite side from door which I have used in the midddle of a forest, I had to make sure the ground slope didn't send the water across under the truck to the door...then you can get some garden filter cloth to stand on to keep feet clean...have you looked at all the factors? Also if going to do this go to a custom hose shop and get a proper length made up using flexible no kink hose...it is a cost effective way to go rather than a make do set up. Just some thoughts and I do not like aggrevation caused by myself...so I really think it out..but that is just me! Good luck!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Lance Campers all come with one
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, I paid to have the external shower and have never used it. Also the rear awning has never been used.

Now if we traveled with small children and stayed in one location it might be different.
magic43

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Hose thread is not pipe thread. 1/2" IP will not connect to garden hose.

Dave, I think he just wants to extend it by connecting a nipple (or two) and string together a couple lengths of shower hose. No biggie. It's not like he's wanting to park the camper and run 50 ft up a hill.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I simply added an external shower. The shower kit plus all related plumbing cost less than $100. That was in about 2006, and I have yet to use it.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke