Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 5.0 vs Tundra

blackgrizz550
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning!

I have a Springdale 260TBL that checks in a 4890 Dry. We have been towing it with a crew cab GMC 1500 with the 5.3. The truck handles it fine but it is very under powered. The truck has 210,000 miles and its time to replace it.

We have 3 kids so I am totally digging the size of the cabs on both the F-150 and the Crew Max Tundra. We keeps vehicles for a long time. Honestly, I like the look of the F-150 and I know it has more features. I would only be interested in the 5.0 Motor with 3.73 rear end. I'm sure its much better on fuel as well.

I am attracted to the Tundra for its durability. I still see a ton of 2007 models on the road that aren't even rusty.

Is the reliability and resale worth more than the features and high tech design of the new F-150?
108 REPLIES 108

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
:R

Really fishie... that got your underpants in a bunch? It was a JOKE... simmer down.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
spoon059 wrote:
Corinthian leather... is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the first commercial touting "Military Grade".

Anyone that has been in the military can likely tell you that "military grade" is more often associated with "lowest bidder". I'm not sure that is the image that Ford wishes to portray though...

:R
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I always get a kick hearing "military grade" in their commercials. There is no such thing.
Not sure about the Ford but the Tundra gvwr is 7200lbs, fawr is 4000lbs and rawr is 4150lbs. The axles are actually d rated for their light truck application, but I believe still higher than most.

Probably been mentioned already but the Tundra simply doesn't match up well with Fords F150 higher gvwr and rawr size platforms.

7550/7600/7700/7850/8200 GVWR.
4550/4800 RAWR.

The F150HD 7850 up to 8200 GVWR and the 4800 RAWR with load E tires and wheels. Some have "GVWR based payloads" in the 3000+ lb range.

For a comparo the 1500 GM with the NHT package is a 7600 GVWR and 4300 RAWR. Now choose the 6.2 engine option and the NHT option that comes with a 3.73 axle ratio/8 speed tranny and with a 420 hp at 460 ft pounds. And this 1/2 ton muscle truck has a 11700 lb tow rating.

The Ram...its lost way back down the low GVWR/RAWR road.

Tundra is a good truck for what it is. I would 'spect Toyota will upgrade GVWR and higher axle rating to match the top guns in the 1/2 ton truck world.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
It is hard to beat the reliability of the Toyotas. I think long term, the Toyota will give longer service without any issues than the Ford. I am talking about 200,000 plus miles over 15 plus years.

Toyota, I have a 2013 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost with 55k and it's nothing but trouble. Even a CD is stuck in the player!

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Corinthian leather... is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the first commercial touting "Military Grade".

Anyone that has been in the military can likely tell you that "military grade" is more often associated with "lowest bidder". I'm not sure that is the image that Ford wishes to portray though...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Aluminum is a wonderful material...when used in the right places...even 'Military Grade'....which is pure marketing verbiage to play to those who are ignorant on that matter. Like anything that is used in the 'Military' can be labeled "Military Grade"...toothpaste/buttons/shoes/plates/paint/etc used in the military can be labeled "Military Grade"... :S

Anyone have a set of aluminum sockets?....or aluminum chisels?....how about aluminum lug nuts?....or aluminum grade 8 bolts?....or a wood burning stove with an aluminum fire box?....or an aluminum barrel for a 44 mag?

There are perfectly GREAT places to use aluminum, but IMHO, not for a pickup bed used for work...okay as a pure boulevard cruiser pickup that will never see a load of gravel/cobble-stones/bricks/etc

PS...what are the GVWR's and GAWR's of these two pickups in discussion?

I always get a kick hearing "military grade" in their commercials. There is no such thing.
Not sure about the Ford but the Tundra gvwr is 7200lbs, fawr is 4000lbs and rawr is 4150lbs. The axles are actually d rated for their light truck application, but I believe still higher than most.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminum is a wonderful material...when used in the right places...even 'Military Grade'....which is pure marketing verbiage to play to those who are ignorant on that matter. Like anything that is used in the 'Military' can be labeled "Military Grade"...toothpaste/buttons/shoes/plates/paint/etc used in the military can be labeled "Military Grade"... :S

Anyone have a set of aluminum sockets?....or aluminum chisels?....how about aluminum lug nuts?....or aluminum grade 8 bolts?....or a wood burning stove with an aluminum fire box?....or an aluminum barrel for a 44 mag?

There are perfectly GREAT places to use aluminum, but IMHO, not for a pickup bed used for work...okay as a pure boulevard cruiser pickup that will never see a load of gravel/cobble-stones/bricks/etc

PS...what are the GVWR's and GAWR's of these two pickups in discussion?
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
travelnman wrote:
Saw a aluminum F 150 with the antenna ripped off, took just about the whole
fender with it. Took place in a car wash. Was the picture faked who knows
but it sure set you thinking about the strength of aluminum.
Do you ever fly in airplanes?

I fly in airplanes every week. But I have never seen them take one through the car wash.:@

Just because a material works in one application, does not mean that it will work in another. And I am not saying that aluminum is inappropriate to use in autos, but with any change, there will be a learning curve from the manufactures. This is undoubtedly no different.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
travelnman wrote:

Maybe it's good Ford doesn't make commercial airliners.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
travelnman wrote:

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
All makes have issues, even mighty Toyota and Honda. I've owned several Hondas and they were no better than ford/Chevy, but their service after the sale and help with warranty work was second to none. Never owned any Toyotas, heard good things, but a friend of mine at work has a 2012 highlander with about 36k and it has a noise/issue with the front suspension or steering. Not very impressive to me.

Really in this day and age i think they are all decent, even hyundai, Kia and Mitsubishi. Any can have issues, they all source their component parts globally.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

blackgrizz550
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up a 2013 Rockwood 2702SS this weekend. The camper is 5,3xx pound dry. Almost 2,000 lbs heavier and 4' longer than the camper I towed with my GMC.

The Ecoboost handled it with ease. There is what seems like an endless amount of power on tap compared to my 5.3 GM. It was very windy when we drove home and the truck did feel light to me. I could feel when a gust of wind hit the side of the camper.

So far we are happy with our purchase. My wife drives the truck 8 miles each way to work every day. She is averaging 18 MPG.

Only dislikes so far are start/stop and the shifts can be a little abrupt until the engine is up to temperature.

travelnman
Explorer
Explorer