cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F250 tire brand/model recs

Frank_Mehaffey
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to get 4 new all season tires for my 2012 F250, 8', extended cab, 2WD when the snow goes away. I have studded snow tires for the winter, which I love. Anyway, I have 245/75R 17E, and would be interested in any recommendations and experiences with the various brands. I have been getting Cooper's for awhile, for no particular reason outside of my dealer having them. I am not concerned about saving a buck on getting a less expensive brand, but on getting the best overall tire for a 3000 lb. camper carrying truck. Thanks for any help.
21 REPLIES 21

Frank_Mehaffey
Explorer
Explorer
I have weighed my truck, camper on. I am about about 500 lbs under my truck rating. In 20 years of F250's with camper suspension upgrades, we have had no problems with the 10 ply tires at 80 lbs. in all sorts of driving conditions. If I had a Lance or something with slide outs, or a fiberglass shell, I would go in a different direction with a 350, but with our LivinLite, we are fine.

PhilR
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you weigh your truck with the camper on, you will find that you're exceeding the rating on your rear tires. Your rig needs 3,500 lb. tire ratings.

Frank_Mehaffey
Explorer
Explorer
One concern I have is over just doing 18" on the rear axel, and 17" on the front. I would have to go to all 4 corners being 18", and I would lose some of the traction in the winter with the larger wheels and tires. At that point, the $ is also starting to get a little too pricey. I have had 17's forever, and am not doing any off road camping, and have had no problems. We are at 10K fully loaded, and I am comfortable with the 10 ply rating and load rating. I was wondering if there were any experiences with Cooper vs. Michelin vs. Goodyear.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Edit, 20s might not fit on a 2 wheeler, but some of the 18s should.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Buy a set of OE takeoffs 18" or 20" tires and wheels and get way more capacity and some nicer wheels for the same price or less then a quality set of 17" tires.
Not that your 17s are totally inadequate, but guaranteed your at or above the tire rating and you basically can't buy a 17" tire rated more than 3195lbs now. Why? Idk, weird industry thing that suddenly capped 17" LT tire ratings.
If you do get 17s I'd look for some new old stock rated higher. Or just dump the little steelie wheels for a heavier setup.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Frank,
Don't know if you can find them in your area or size but I have 50k on my Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus tires and lots of tread left. Ride great, actually have a snowflake rating but Nokian doesn't advertise them as snow tires. Good traction in mud, snow, wet grass and Rocky terrain. May be hard to find but we've been very pleased.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Frank Mehaffey wrote:
I am going to get 4 new all season tires for my 2012 F250, 8', extended cab, 2WD when the snow goes away. I have studded snow tires for the winter, which I love. Anyway, I have 245/75R 17E, and would be interested in any recommendations and experiences with the various brands. I have been getting Cooper's for awhile, for no particular reason outside of my dealer having them. I am not concerned about saving a buck on getting a less expensive brand, but on getting the best overall tire for a 3000 lb. camper carrying truck. Thanks for any help.

You might think about steeping up a size to get a better load rating than the current 3,195# of the current tire. With your 3,000#+/- camper and passengers you are likely right at or slightly over your rear tire capacity.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"