cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally, No More Hot Skin Condition

classicdude
Explorer
Explorer
Several months ago I noticed that when the ground was wet, I was feeling a tingling when I touched my camper with damp feet when plugged into my garage. I had just had a new breaker panel and new service installed professionally. At that time, I ran a new line to my garage and wired in a marine receptacle. I tied into an existing wire in the basement that been used for a welder at one time (using only one leg, of course). Yesterday I set out to find the cause and am pretty sure I found it.
I had wired in a receptacle in the garage to plug in my drill press, and apparently when I stuffed the whole mess back into the junction box the ground wire was lightly contacting the hot side of the receptacle, energizing the ground wire. Also in the basement, I traced out the old wire and found that a junction box near the breaker panel had been installed for some reason, and the ground wires were snubbed off. I'm still getting some stray voltage from the camper skin to ground but think I'm on the right track! Now to fix the missing ground and retest...
Just read an article about a child being killed in a similar situation. That article brought me to reality pretty quick, since I have young grand kids who like to play in the camper sometimes!
2006 Trail Vision 19QB
2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 3:73
Drawtite WD 1000#
3 REPLIES 3

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
YA! I beat my Grandkids, Did'nt beat my kids enough and they went off and had a total of 10. GAAAAAAAH!

classicdude
Explorer
Explorer
I'll keep the camper plugged into the house until I know I have the problem resolved. You hit the nail on the head about grand-kids! It's kind of like I get a 2nd chance after realizing my shortcomings as a dad...the kind of realization that only comes after the fact.
2006 Trail Vision 19QB
2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 3:73
Drawtite WD 1000#

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Stay on the hunt, preventing an injury to your grand kids is worth any investment in time or effort you will make. I know you think of them as I do mine. My favorite book says "Grandchildren are the crown of old men" It is so right, and the crown fits so well.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)