cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finished my new tow vehicle, it works very well.

Mr__Cob
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy All,

I got tired of the Smart Car, taking up half the garage in my toy hauler, so I built a new truck that could haul the Smart Car, behind the sleeper. I thought my Freightliner was a good tow rig, this Pete, is wonderful.

Dave
Dave, aka, Mr. Cob
2001 Peterbilt 379, towing 2014 Voltage 3818 Toy Hauler.
View my photo web page here, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/
71 REPLIES 71

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I enjoy driving my Pete but for loads under 30k I prefer a 1 ton.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, that's impressive. Great price for a truck that appears to be in pretty good shape, even with a lot of modification costs that I wouldn't be absorbing! Awesome!

Fishie, the KING of thread drift, suddenly doesn't want to answer questions about his beloved Ford... even with the blessing of the OP??? Uh oh, has his 6.7 lost some luster???
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I understand that this is a great setup for some. Personally I would not want to drive around in a "SmartCar", I like some metal around me. Also don't see why having two rigs with engines and only really drive one while camped. One rig should do everything you want. Any newer 350/3500 will work as a daily driver and tow your load within specs. Also most women would drive the pickups well before the Big Rig.

As far as holding up traffic that has not been an issue with my 33-35K combined load.

Nice to have options!

And you ride around on a motorcycle and you're concerned how much metal is around you.

HA. I was waiting for that response. I feel I am much safer on my MC than driving a “Not so Smart Car”.

wow you just dropped about 50 point in my onion of your intelligence.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is quite impressive. How does it fare with length limits?
Puma 30RKSS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP What does your RV weigh fully loaded?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Mr. Cob wrote:
I wasn't really trying for mileage I was having to much FUN climbing mountains.

Dave

Like Ron(Cummins12V98), I like buzzing up mountain grades at the speed limit. Chris

Yeah right.... LMAO

What yours won't?

They don’t have grades in TX.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I understand that this is a great setup for some. Personally I would not want to drive around in a "SmartCar", I like some metal around me. Also don't see why having two rigs with engines and only really drive one while camped. One rig should do everything you want. Any newer 350/3500 will work as a daily driver and tow your load within specs. Also most women would drive the pickups well before the Big Rig.

As far as holding up traffic that has not been an issue with my 33-35K combined load.

Nice to have options!

And you ride around on a motorcycle and you're concerned how much metal is around you.

HA. I was waiting for that response. I feel I am much safer on my MC than driving a “Not so Smart Car”.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Cob wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Mr. Cob wrote:

Dave

Like Ron(Cummins12V98), I like buzzing up mountain grades at the speed limit. Chris

Yeah right.... LMAO

What yours won't?

This thread is not about yours or my truck, and I'm certain the OP could care less.
Thread drift, it happens.

Dave

The Ram Mafia does have a tendency to drift to their Ram trucks.

Nice rig, I entertained the idea of an MDT, just never got there.

Mr__Cob
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Mr. Cob wrote:

Dave

Yeah right.... LMAO

What yours won't?

This thread is not about yours or my truck, and I'm certain the OP could care less.
Thread drift, it happens.

Dave
Dave, aka, Mr. Cob

Mr__Cob
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Mr. Cob wrote:
Where I live, west slope of the Cascade Mountain range in Washington State, I can't go anywhere without climbing mountain grades, I travel about 15,000 miles per year most of it west of the eastern slope of the Rocky Mountains. Being able to climb and descend mountains quickly,and safely is the major reason for building such a rig.

I have been towing with an HDT for the last five years the ONLY regret I have is not doing it much sooner, the money I spend buying and then modifying a new Dodge one ton years ago would have been much better spent on a used HDT. When in a panic stop the 14,000 pound trailer pushed the 8,000 pound Dodge through an intersection when some ahole ran a red light was enough to convince me to get a truck suited to the job. Everyone's wants and needs are different, it would be a pretty boring place to live if we all liked-drove the same thing.

Dave

We are right down the road from you at Lake Connor Park, in Lake Stevens. I wanted a Volvo but DW would not go for it. Chris
I have a very good Freightliner for sale, stop by and check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Dave
Dave, aka, Mr. Cob

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Mr. Cob wrote:

Dave

Yeah right.... LMAO

What yours won't?

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr. Cob wrote:
Where I live, west slope of the Cascade Mountain range in Washington State, I can't go anywhere without climbing mountain grades, I travel about 15,000 miles per year most of it west of the eastern slope of the Rocky Mountains. Being able to climb and descend mountains quickly,and safely is the major reason for building such a rig.

I have been towing with an HDT for the last five years the ONLY regret I have is not doing it much sooner, the money I spend buying and then modifying a new Dodge one ton years ago would have been much better spent on a used HDT. When in a panic stop the 14,000 pound trailer pushed the 8,000 pound Dodge through an intersection when some ahole ran a red light was enough to convince me to get a truck suited to the job. Everyone's wants and needs are different, it would be a pretty boring place to live if we all liked-drove the same thing.

Dave

We are right down the road from you at Lake Connor Park, in Lake Stevens. I wanted a Volvo but DW would not go for it. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Mr__Cob
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Mr. Cob wrote:

Dave

Yeah right.... LMAO

Dave
Dave, aka, Mr. Cob

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Mr. Cob wrote:

Dave

Yeah right.... LMAO

What yours won't?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Mr__Cob
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Thats an awesome rig for sure! Much bigger than I would ever want, because its too limiting as to where you can go.

Just curious if you would divulge an approximate cost for the truck and then an approximate cost for upgrades?
I have around $40,000.00 in the truck that includes the purchase price, repairs, everything that was done to convert it to a motor home and carry the Smart Car, behind the sleeper.

Dave
Dave, aka, Mr. Cob