cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First Camping Trip with Our New Diesel

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got back from taking our new toy hauler and '16 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 68RFE camping for the first time. An 800 mile roundtrip to the Colorado River that included a number of steep grades and 107-115 degree daytime temps---obvious fallout from this SW US heat wave that's been on the news. The toy hauler with toys and gear onboard weighed ~12,750 lbs. with a pin weight of ~2,650 lbs.

This is our first diesel. Previous rig was a Tundra 5.7 that we used to pull a 7,000 lb. toy hauler (loaded).

This trip really drove home the diesel experience: 1) The Cummins simply pulled like a beast. Steady. Confidently. 2) The automatic exhaust brake was the cat's meow! Its operation coming down 6-7 percent grades and during normal braking on the flats was simply phenomenal. Hearing it in operation was icing on the cake. And last, but not least 3) MPG's. We maintained 55-60 mph for most of the drive--doing what we could to reduce stress on the toy hauler's China bombs in 107-115 degree heat. Overall MPG at these speeds, hand calculated, was 11.1 MPG (EVIC displayed 12.0). Considering the tow weight (almost 13k) and the constant elevation changes---11.1 MPG was a pleasant surprise to say the least. The same drive got us 8.5 MPG with the Tundra.

The only concern we had on the entire trip was a short, 4-5 mile climb (on a secondary road) that resulted in a spike in tranny temps. Speed was limited to 25-30 mph (due to switchbacks) on grades that I would estimate to have been around 7-10 percent. Turbo boost hovered around 15-20 PSI for most of the climb. It didn't take long for the radiator fan to activate--hard not to notice---it's loud. In any case, tranny temps (while staying in the same gear for the entire climb) spiked to 195-198 degrees (flat towing it's typically 168-172).

All in all an awesome first camping trip with our new rig.

31 REPLIES 31

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Downshifting and backing out of the throttle will help your engine/transmission run cooler. No need for high revs but you don't want to lug it either.

Computer will do the job shifting when needed, just hold it to the floor. Aisin trans stays cool in any conditions. Pic is pulling long 7 percent grade west of Golden Colorado, 32,950# per Cat Scales.

Most of us don't need to hold it to the floor to pull our units up grade. With the torque in these trucks I can often pull grades at 15-1700 RPM. If I left the computer do it then that's where it stays. It's easier on the trans to lock it down in 5th and let'er cool.

Sure 5th with 33K combined NOT to the floor, whatever.

I didn't say you don't. I say most of us don't. Don't twist my words. There are a lot of times my truck will pull my 28,000 combined up a grade at 15-1700 RPMs if I let the computer run things. All I was saying is that if the grade is very long I will lock it down a great so it will turn more RPM and keep things cooler.;) You have to keep in mind that me running in 5th is like you running in 6th.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Those temps are nothing! Only way they would be less if you had the Aisin.

LMAO... When cummins had the 68 tranny it was touted as the best transmission on the face of the earth with a picture of a after market oil pan and Amz/Oil in the sump to back it up.

Now we have a aisin transmission that shifts like a "Built transmission" (cummins description)and it's now the best.

After reading UGA33's post on the F250 vs a 3500 DRW with aisin transmission pulling round bails on a gooseneck over at the cummins forum you can keep the aisin transmission as he reported that thing was hunting for gears all the time.

You can keep that Japanese aisin transmission.

Sure nice to take my word out of context. Aisin is assembled in USA, your 6.7 is Assembled in Mexico.

My statement is FACTUAL, from what I have read the Allison and Ford trans run hotter than the Aisin.

But hey keep twisting my words and I will set the record straight!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Downshifting and backing out of the throttle will help your engine/transmission run cooler. No need for high revs but you don't want to lug it either.

Computer will do the job shifting when needed, just hold it to the floor. Aisin trans stays cool in any conditions. Pic is pulling long 7 percent grade west of Golden Colorado, 32,950# per Cat Scales.

Most of us don't need to hold it to the floor to pull our units up grade. With the torque in these trucks I can often pull grades at 15-1700 RPM. If I left the computer do it then that's where it stays. It's easier on the trans to lock it down in 5th and let'er cool.

Sure 5th with 33K combined NOT to the floor, whatever.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Those temps are nothing! Only way they would be less if you had the Aisin.

LMAO... When cummins had the 68 tranny it was touted as the best transmission on the face of the earth with a picture of a after market oil pan and Amz/Oil in the sump to back it up.

Now we have a aisin transmission that shifts like a "Built transmission" (cummins description)and it's now the best.

After reading UGA33's post on the F250 vs a 3500 DRW with aisin transmission pulling round bails on a gooseneck over at the cummins forum you can keep the aisin transmission as he reported that thing was hunting for gears all the time.

You can keep that Japanese aisin transmission.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
fireman41 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:

You know those big horse power and torque numbers are made and wide open throttle.

You don't have to be WOT to get full torque output. 3/4 throttle under a hard pull will give full boost. The last 1/4 is to tell the truck it needs to gear down for mor torque.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the report.

I get a chuckle about some of the posts about the trans temps never going above 200*. I pulled my 12,000 pound 5er and 2500 pound boat over Monarch pass on Memorial Day weekend. Temps were in the 30's* going down (a few snow flakes) and I saw my trans temp get up to 220*. Nothing to be worried about, unless you listen to some others here.....
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:

You know those big horse power and torque numbers are made and wide open throttle.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Can somebody post a picture of a B&W hitch with a bunch of cute little locks on it? :B
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Although I know the Aisin plug was yet another attempt to tout their truck as usual, saying that the Aisin temps do not get into the 190s when working under similar loads is false. There are many owners who have posted these temps with Aisins in TDR even unloaded.

On another note, now I remember why I didn't get a Laramie Longhorn. Those gauges....bleh!

I'm not touting my truck.......

Was not talking about you. Someone else here likes to do it like a broken record and even goes out of their way to do it even though it has nothing to do with the topic.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Although I know the Aisin plug was yet another attempt to tout their truck as usual, saying that the Aisin temps do not get into the 190s when working under similar loads is false. There are many owners who have posted these temps with Aisins in TDR even unloaded.

On another note, now I remember why I didn't get a Laramie Longhorn. Those gauges....bleh!

I'm not touting my truck.......

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Computers are fine, but I enjoy doing the driving and thinking. My trans fluid is nice and red and doesn't smell burnt.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
coolbreeze01 wrote: