cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first time RV towing

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I am a first time RV user, just purchased a Winnegago Micro Minnie 22 foot model 2106 FBS, http://winnebagoind.com/products/travel-trailer/2016/micro-minnie/specifications
The Winnebago Micro Mini has an UNLOADED weight of 3800 lbs, and has a double axle with electric brakes. Our tow vehicle is a 2016 Nissan Frontier, with Nissan tow receiver and 7 pin electrical, max tow capacity 6000lbs. http://www.nissanusa.com/trucks/frontier/versions-specs/version.sl-crew.html We will also be having an electric brake controller installed in the cab of the Nissan by the RV dealer.
My question is regarding the anti sway tow hitch setup, as part of the purchase we are having a anti-sway bar hitch installed by the RV dealer. Considering the Nissan Frontier is a small/mid size vehicle, is a two point adjustable anti sway bar setup adequate to prevent any sway issues on the highway? Or should we request a four point adjustable anti-sway bar?
thank you for advice,
A first time travel trailer user,
Philip
39 REPLIES 39

LAJMINNIEPLUS
Explorer
Explorer
I'm probably a little late to this discussion but, I hauled the earlier model of the 2106FBS with my V8 4Runner without any sway control and never had any issues with sway. The trailer hauled like a dream. It did twitch a little when driving on interstates at 65mph with cross winds, but never a real problem.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add an update to my above comments about towing with my '06 Frontier. Recently due to some other issues around the barn with tow vehicles, my Frontier has been pressed into service also towing my horse trailer.

Two horse bumper pull, with one horse in it is usually around 5000 pounds. I set up the Blue Ox WD hitch on it. I've been pulling this trailer quite a bit with it. Very pleasantly surprised at how well it works.

Literally, I would pull this trailer loaded this way, anywhere. Have not scaled it yet, but having scaled it with the travel trailer, I expect to be still under the rear axle rating and very close to payload numbers. I'll report back once I get the chance to run it over the scales.

So, to the original poster, if you're still here, do a careful and correct set up of a good WD hitch, and go enjoy your camping.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
pmlevine wrote:
So, a travel trailer of 3800 pounds is way too much for a Nissan Frontier V6, with a stated max tow capacity of 6000 pounds?
Philip

No, it's not too much.

Boon Docker wrote:
Your wheel base is only 16 inches shorter than an F150 long box. If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it.

You might add about 1200 lbs when fully loaded, but will still be under the 6000 lb max.

Ditto. Go camping and don't worry about it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

SilverEscape
Explorer
Explorer
pmlevine wrote:
I wanted to go with a truck low enough for my wife to step up into, she has health issues. I may indeed find after towing the Micro Minnie TT with the Nissan Frontier that we need to find another truck better suited for towing, but for now this is what we have.
thanks all,
Philip

I realize your truck is new so this is just for information purposes only, but the power running boards on an F-150 drop down low and make it really easy for people to get in. We got the truck when my youngest was 2.5 and she was able to climb in with those running boards. And my mom, who has been recently diagnosed with a neurological disease that is affecting her movement, is able to get in with those running boards.

Did you end up getting the camper? How did it all turn out? Would love to see pics!
2015 Jayco X213
2014 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our camper is about 4500 lbs. ready for 2 weeks. Tongue weight is 552 lbs. We have the Andersen Hitch. I can hit 65 mph long before merging on most interstate ramps. Been over the Rockies and all over the Appalachians with nary a problem. We get 10 mpg average. I have never felt unsafe nor had a white knuckle moment with our Frontier, but I'm meticulous with weights, tires, following distance, etc.
I do turn off OD when towing and manually downshift when necessary.
Our son has the same truck and virtually the same camper. They've never had a problem towing, either.
Understand and pay attention to the numbers and you'll be OK.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
I do appreciate the advice and feedback from forum members.
After some digging, I found out more info on the Nissan Frontier SL truck.
The axle ratio info: C200k 3.357

Automatic transmition info:
First Gear Ratio (:1) 3.842
Second Gear Ratio (:1) 2.353
Third Gear Ratio (:1) 1.529
Fourth Gear Ratio (:1) 1.000
Fifth Gear Ratio (:1) 0.839
Reverse Ratio (:1) 2.764
Final Drive Axle Ratio (:1) N/A
Transfer Case Gear Ratio (:1), High 1.000
Transfer Case Gear Ratio (:1), Low 2.625
Not sure what all this means, but there it is.
For what it is worth, the Frontier was purchased 4 months ago. I wanted to go with a truck low enough for my wife to step up into, she has health issues. I may indeed find after towing the Micro Minnie TT with the Nissan Frontier that we need to find another truck better suited for towing, but for now this is what we have.
thanks all,
Philip

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
deleted.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
It might all pencil out on paper, but I wouldn't tow with a Frontier. Too small, too light, not enough chassis/suspension or brakes under it for me.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of yackity-yack going on here 🙂 😉 ( hey I mean it in a good way ! )....I'll throw in my two cents worth based on some real world experience. I tow my Funfinder 189FDS with my 2006 Frontier, 4.0L V6 crewcab 6-speed manual transmission.

My funfinder weighs right at 4000 pounds, ready to roll, as checked on the CAT scale. The trailer is a 7' wide model, so it's a little narrower than some, so that very slightly helps in the aero part of it.

Have pulled close to 30K miles now, from gulf coast sea level to the high passes of Colorado ( multiple times.... I go to Colorado every summer ).

I consider this a good match. Hitched with a blue ox swaypro, adjusted to give 100 percent FALR, the rig tows well in all weather conditions I've been in.

My truck has a so-called 6100 pound tow capacity ( 6300 pounds for 2WD models, 6100 for 4WD ). I consider my combination to be all I'd want to do with this truck. I'm within all my "ratings", although I'm at 95 percent of my truck's GVWR. That tells me I would not want to "go bigger".

I've averaged 11 mpg overall in my towing mileage. The truck gets 19 or so average non-towing.

PS, I have driven Frontier's with automatic trans. I have not towed with one that has an automatic, but I am fairly certain I would NOT like it for towing. I prefer a manual gearbox in this type of truck for pulling. This is likely just personal preference though ??

ZZX
Explorer
Explorer
All good feedback, but remember sway happens at tire sidewalls first. After I switched my stock minivan passenger car tires for stiffer sidewall light truck tires the problem is gone during reasonable cross winds or semi passes. Look for the tire capacity code.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
Still can't quite figure how a trailer weighing 3800 lbs with a tongue weight of 350 lb (9 percent) when loaded correctly to 4800 lb can increase the tongue weight to 14 percent of the trailer weight. It should still be 9 percent of the total trailer weight.

Regardless of any stated factory dry tongue weight it's up to every owner to ensure gross tongue weight falls within 10% to 15% of the trailer's gross weight, loaded and ready to camp. While 10% may be within the "recommended" range most would find that awfully light, with the trailer exhibiting a tendency to sway with so little tongue weight. I personally consider 13% to be minimal but as I said earlier I prefer even more as I know from experience that even more leads to a much improved towing experience.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
9 percent of empty weight on the ball may very well be true as it assembled, but for safe and happy towing of a travel trailer, 12 to 15 percent is recommended. It is not a goal to simply maintain the same ratio as an empty trailer.
Also keep in mind that every pound on the hitch ball translates to slightly more than a pound on your rear axle due to the due to the leverage of the distance from axle to the ball.
I tow a tiny hybrid with my 2006 Explorer and with 2 adults, 3 kids, and stuff, we max our rear axle capacity.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
towing capacity dosent limit you hear payload does. figure out your max payload. subtract weight of everything in the vehicle (you, passangers, gear, your weight distribution hitch, ect) that leaves you with whats left for tongue weight. im rate at my limit with the rig in my sig. I have 1000 lb payload (take away 400 lb of people, 100 lbs of gear and I have 500 lb for tongue weight. mine comes in at 480 so im just inside my numbers
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Still can't quite figure how a trailer weighing 3800 lbs with a tongue weight of 350 lb (9 percent) when loaded correctly to 4800 lb can increase the tongue weight to 14 percent of the trailer weight. It should still be 9 percent of the total trailer weight.