cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fixing some rotten wood, what type of wood should I use ?

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Friday everyone,
We've had a soft spot under the drivers side front window of our Lance. I noticed it early last year but just now getting around to fixing it. It's been stored in the barn for the last year to keep the rain off.
I took the window out and have cut out the interior wall panel around the window. Looks like the window must have leaked around the front corner. I'll be pulling off the siding on the outside this weekend to see what all I'll need to rebuild.
My question is what type of wood would be best to rebuild the structure? Is everyone just using good ole Pine or is there something else I should consider?

Thanks in advance.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL
26 REPLIES 26

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
We've decided to just go ahead and take all the metal off the front end and take out the front window. I'd feel better as then I'd know if any other wood needs replaced or repaired. I can order the metal thru a place in Elkhart. It's about a 3.5 hour drive to go pick it up.
This Saturday will be the tear it apart day. I'll try to remember to get some pictures of what I find once it's apart.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use whatever wood you find at your local big box store that provides the working strength you need.

After cutting, but before assembling, treat the wood to a couple doses of 'Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer' from the the Rot Doctor. Put it together and you won't have any problems.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Builders are using staples. Surprisingly with glued siding and glued interior paneling that holds quite well.
I cont that my generator was hanging on 6 staples + glue.
For repair you can use structural straps like this

bitster98
Explorer
Explorer
Use what every rv builder uses , the most weak rot prone junk you can find in your local dumpsters !!! That's the industry standard . Sorry I have just owned too many rv's & boats , I couldn't resist.

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Oregun wrote:
When replacing the wood I would also get kreg pocket screw jig. This allows you to screw the wood into adjoining studs giving a very strong connection.

Kreg Pocket Jig

Thanks for the link. I was wondering if they made a smaller version. I'll pick one up tomorrow
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
When replacing the wood I would also get kreg pocket screw jig. This allows you to screw the wood into adjoining studs giving a very strong connection.

Kreg Pocket Jig

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Couldn't one replace it with aluminum studs?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oregun wrote:
I would go with Douglas Fir/Hemlock as it is stronger than pine and readily available.

X3
I would strongly avoid using treated wood as it might react with the siding. I used fir/hemlock to rebuild our 1st 5er sand it worked well.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

I'd say replace it in kind with what's there. And don't use Cedar.

Don't use Cedar - it's too soft and swells when wet.
Fir/Pine/Hemlock might be adequate are all too soft.
They've built chair frames out of poplar for over a century for a good reason - it holds up.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

thundercloud
Explorer
Explorer
Marine grade plywood could be a good choice too.
Happy TC'N,
David

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Mote wrote:
Happy Friday everyone,
We've had a soft spot under the drivers side front window of our Lance. I noticed it early last year but just now getting around to fixing it. It's been stored in the barn for the last year to keep the rain off.
I took the window out and have cut out the interior wall panel around the window. Looks like the window must have leaked around the front corner. I'll be pulling off the siding on the outside this weekend to see what all I'll need to rebuild.
My question is what type of wood would be best to rebuild the structure? Is everyone just using good ole Pine or is there something else I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Id recomend using exterior rated plywood,,

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll be taking the siding off tomorrow and we'll see how much I need to replace.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
When I rebuild a badly rotten spot I used Git Rot on the existing pieces that had to stay, and the new pieces, and epoxied everything together on piece at a time.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd be more concerned with fixing the leak rather than what wood to use.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman