Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford 7.3L gas power numbers

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
430hp/475tq
Looks like it's designed to be a winner.
Video
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
120 REPLIES 120

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

I would call it a semi closed block similar to the 6.2, but with small slots between the cylinders for coolant flow.

Link

Thanks for the video. I would consider that more of a semi-closed deck too. Most semi-closed only have support front to bottom and right to left. The 7.3L block seems to have more than that. Either way, it definitely has more structural cylinder support than the 6.2L which will go a long way in longevity and how much power it can handle.

I would not be surprised if ford does not make a blown version of this engine for smaller vehicles. The block and other internals seem well equipped to handle it.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
danrclem wrote:
I'm sure that Ford built this engine with reliability in mind because it's going in Super Duty trucks that are built for work. I'm sure they could have got more power out of this engine but at what cost. Would reliabilty be compromised? Would fuel economy be compromised? Just by looking at the specs it should be a joy to tow with unless you are pulling a very heavy load.

I like my 6.2 but I think the 7.3 is going to knock the socks off of it. The low rpm torque paired with a 10 speed should be a winner.

I would wager that this engine's power output is emissions limited or purposely limited to add power later. Looking at what this engine is made is made of, I don't see adding another 30-50 hp by removing much of the emissions tuning having any significant effect on longevity or fuel mileage. In fact, it may even increase fuel mileage by optimizing timing.

I have not seen pictures of the block yet to know it is open, semi-closed, or closed deck. It appears to be a closed deck from the pictures I have seen. If it is closed or even semi closed, then there is no doubt it can handle even more power with what the crank and pistons are made from. Closed deck blocks are mostly found on heavily boosted gas and diesel engines. Although most(if not all) push rod truck engines are also closed deck due to their configuration which leads to their reputation for longevity and durability. The 6.2L was closer to a semi-closed block with only the outside cylinders being closed.

I would call it a semi closed block similar to the 6.2, but with small slots between the cylinders for coolant flow.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
danrclem wrote:
I'm sure that Ford built this engine with reliability in mind because it's going in Super Duty trucks that are built for work. I'm sure they could have got more power out of this engine but at what cost. Would reliabilty be compromised? Would fuel economy be compromised? Just by looking at the specs it should be a joy to tow with unless you are pulling a very heavy load.

I like my 6.2 but I think the 7.3 is going to knock the socks off of it. The low rpm torque paired with a 10 speed should be a winner.

I would wager that this engine's power output is emissions limited or purposely limited to add power later. Looking at what this engine is made is made of, I don't see adding another 30-50 hp by removing much of the emissions tuning having any significant effect on longevity or fuel mileage. In fact, it may even increase fuel mileage by optimizing timing.

I have not seen pictures of the block yet to know it is open, semi-closed, or closed deck. It appears to be a closed deck from the pictures I have seen. If it is closed or even semi closed, then there is no doubt it can handle even more power with what the crank and pistons are made from. Closed deck blocks are mostly found on heavily boosted gas and diesel engines. Although most(if not all) push rod truck engines are also closed deck due to their configuration which leads to their reputation for longevity and durability. The 6.2L was closer to a semi-closed block with only the outside cylinders being closed.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
wnjj wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
Copperhead wrote:
Please repost as I am unable to open whatever graph, chart, whatever you are talking about.

Look at the post again, I've adjusted the image size.

It looks like you canโ€™t hot link that picture. You can click here to see it: https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2019_06/5cffff9056848_L8TvsL96SAEHPTorque.jpg.09ecd...

Went from bad to worse...

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyJ wrote:
Copperhead wrote:
Please repost as I am unable to open whatever graph, chart, whatever you are talking about.

It looks like you canโ€™t hot link that picture. You can click here to see it: https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2019_06/5cffff9056848_L8TvsL96SAEHPTorque.jpg.09ecd...

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Copperhead wrote:

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Yep... I'll place my bet on the big cube engine.

No bet. I do not place my trust in anything made by an automotive OEM nowadays. Learned quite quickly in the military that even the most elaborate vehicle or weapons system is made by the lowest bidder and can fail at the most inopportune time, so I have a certain cynicism built in to my psyche.. I really hope both Ford and GM have winners on their hands, as that would benefit all of us. But I have been around long enough to know that in today's manufacturing climate, caveat emptor.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Copperhead wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Copperhead wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Copperhead wrote:

Disagree with what?

I disagree with your statement that Fords needs to work more on the 7.3 engine.

Ok. I made the comment regarding the power output per liter ratio. I think they could have done better.

No... The goal was to design an engine that can handle heavy loads, while running as efficient as possible and be reliable long term while doing it.

In the long term, we will see if they got it right.

Yep... I'll place my bet on the big cube engine.

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:

Here's the power curve of the L8T and L96. Power softens under 2000 rpm. What's crazy? The 7.3 has nearly double the torque of the 6 liter L96 at 1000 rpm!

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Copperhead wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Copperhead wrote:

Disagree with what?

Ok. I made the comment regarding the power output per liter ratio. I think they could have done better.

No... The goal was to design an engine that can handle heavy loads, while running as efficient as possible and be reliable long term while doing it.

In the long term, we will see if they got it right.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Copperhead wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Copperhead wrote:

Disagree with what?

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer

Here's the power curve of the L8T and L96. Power softens under 2000 rpm. What's crazy? The 7.3 has nearly double the torque of the 6 liter L96 at 1000 rpm!

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, even though I am watching, I am sitting this one out for a while. I never consider a new platform until it has a couple years out i the market and any potential bugs have been worked out and such. I have owned both Fords and GM's. I am not specifically loyal to either brand. Whatever offers me the best value and most reliability at the time, along with features I need, that is where my dollars go.

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f37/fords-7-3l-numbers-lower-than-we-thought-294405/

Has some good discussion on the pros and cons of each engine, strictly from a performance perspective.

Looks like the 7.3 has more power down low, at sub-2000 rpm. Hard to beat displacement when it comes to the very low end power output - case in point, the GM/PSI 8.8 big block has nearly 500 lb-ft at 1000 rpm!

Which one works better in the long run, in terms of reliability and overall operating cost is yet to be seen. No doubt the L8T is a technologically more advanced engine.