cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford Diesel

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at buying a new to us F250 mid 1990’s. A lot of the Fords have the 6.0 L Diesel engines. I am only pulling a 22 foot fun finder and know I want need that size motor. But most of the 250’s out there have the diesel. I really haven’t made up my mind one way or the other on gas or diesel. Our gas Chev (230,000 miles)works great and I can make it over Vail pass on I70 at 50 MPH. I know the oil burner crowd will tell me to go with the Diesel, I do know the cost of driving one will be higher than the gas. Any pro or con on this motor? Any thing special I should be looking at ?
31 REPLIES 31

SuperDutyFiver
Explorer
Explorer
JBarca wrote:
Dennis Smith wrote:
JBarca wrote:
Maybe Dennis needs a 3/4 ton truck for bed weight? Maybe he is hauling 2 quads on the bed or a truck camper etc.

I know a 1/2 ton will work. That is what we have and it works great, 220,000 miles its time for a newer truck. We are going to be full timing for 4 years and I want to make sure I have enough truck. And its really not that much more money.

Good for you! And you are right, the heavier truck is not that much more all things considered. Good luck on the hunt.

and of course...

Seriously, somebody mentioned gears and if you're not towing heavy you might want to look for a 3.73(3.55 mighta been the std w 4.10 the option on the mid 90's but can't remember) or so-should help your economy tremendously. This may be a tough one to pick since there are a lot of things higher on the list that will steer you to different vehicles more quickly...
36' Carriage Carri-Lite 35rl3
PSD 4x4 Custom Tow Vehicle-the 550
PSD 4X4 2017 CC short box
PSD 4x4 SUV-the X

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rockrash wrote:
I recently flew to TX and bought a 1 owner 7.3. I did a lot of searching because I wanted a long bed, extended cab and a strait drive 6spd. I saved close to $3k compared to what I could find here in NC. This is the second one I've owned, the first being an automatic. I replaced the auto at around 250k miles, don't remember the cost but over $2500 iirc. The old 7.3 is a great reliable motor, just find one that has not been modified and it should last for 400k miles with little issue.

Just a heads up on that one. My brother has a truck just like that and at 100000 miles he thought the clutch was slipping and he replaced it only to find out that wasn't the problem. These trucks have what is called a "Dual Mass Flywheel" which is a two part flywheel and that had gone bad on his truck and was slipping. So, if you ever think you need a clutch check the flywheel while you have the transmission out to save yourself some money.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dennis Smith wrote:
JBarca wrote:
Maybe Dennis needs a 3/4 ton truck for bed weight? Maybe he is hauling 2 quads on the bed or a truck camper etc.

I know a 1/2 ton will work. That is what we have and it works great, 220,000 miles its time for a newer truck. We are going to be full timing for 4 years and I want to make sure I have enough truck. And its really not that much more money.

Good for you! And you are right, the heavier truck is not that much more all things considered. Good luck on the hunt.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

sushidog
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at an older truck because of price, shop around and you might find a good deal on a newer truck like I did. I recently purchased a 2008 F-250 with the 6.4l diesel (the first year of the newer engine) with 109k miles (low for a diesel) for only $11,900. It was a program (leased) vehicle, so I know the required maintenance schedule was followed as it is paid for as part of the lease agreement. To give me some extra peace of mind, I purchased a 24 month 24k mile extended warranty for $1,000 - just in case, as you never know buying a used vehicle - even from a reputable dealer as I did. Though the 6.4l engines don't have the reliability out of the box as a 7.3, they have twice the power (350hp, 650 lbs/ft torque out the box) and considering all that power, the mileage is not that bad (I typically get low 20's on the highway and high teens 50/50 driving). It can hit 27 mpg cruising at 55 on level ground - until the regen kicks in. Plus you are much more likely to find a lower mileage newer truck. Remember, things other than the engine wear and age over time too, especially rubber parts in an older, truck if you are lucky enough to find one with relatively low miles in decent shape. There are tuners and kits available (for a couple grand) to improve the MPG, reliability and nearly double the power output (if that's your thing) of the 6.4 when combined with an EGR/DPF delete (warning deleting these emission items is technically illegal, but many states don't check.)

Chip
1999 National Tropical
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis

Rockrash
Explorer
Explorer
I recently flew to TX and bought a 1 owner 7.3. I did a lot of searching because I wanted a long bed, extended cab and a strait drive 6spd. I saved close to $3k compared to what I could find here in NC. This is the second one I've owned, the first being an automatic. I replaced the auto at around 250k miles, don't remember the cost but over $2500 iirc. The old 7.3 is a great reliable motor, just find one that has not been modified and it should last for 400k miles with little issue.

rreynold51
Explorer
Explorer
Most everyone seems to agree on the F350, what about the rear end? Should it be 3.31, 3.55, 3.73 or 4.11??? That effects towing also.
Rick & Debbi NJ5W/N5GHN
El Paso, Texas

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2015 GMC 2500HD Duramax

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I second the recommendations for getting a 2003 or earlier 7.3 Super Duty. I have one with about 250,000 mile on it and just recently replaced the transmission - not because it wore out or failed but because I just felt I was pushing the envelope at that milage and did not want to get standed somewhere.

The truck is a fantastic towing vehicle, and even when not towing is not bad as a daily driver. That is the only vehicle we have to use when we are gone snowbirding for three or four months each year.
I feel it would be worth the search to find a 7.3.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jimw606
Explorer
Explorer
7.3 Super Duty, if you want a Diesel. Go to FTE.com and tell those guys what you want to do. They will help you.
I had one and it was awesome, pulling I70 Westbound out of Denver with 10,000 lb trailer. I never had any Tranny problems in 50,000 miles I towed with mine.

I was going to quit traveling, so I sold the Truck and 5th wheel.

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
JBarca wrote:

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dennis Smith wrote:
Looking at buying a new to us F250 mid 1990’s. A lot of the Fords have the 6.0 L Diesel engines. I am only pulling a 22 foot fun finder and know I want need that size motor. But most of the 250’s out there have the diesel. I really haven’t made up my mind one way or the other on gas or diesel. Our gas Chev (230,000 miles)works great and I can make it over Vail pass on I70 at 50 MPH. I know the oil burner crowd will tell me to go with the Diesel, I do know the cost of driving one will be higher than the gas. Any pro or con on this motor? Any thing special I should be looking at ?

A 22 foot Fun Finder!!! Why do you want, or need, to go with a F250 at all? Is there other things you want to pull?

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis Smith wrote:

I meant mid 2000. Lots of folks for sure don't like the 6.0. Now not sure what I want. Anyone out there happy with there 6.0?

Very happy with mine.
Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Do ya feel lucky???
Well do ya????

Why take a chance at this point... If your only consideration is a Ford of those years... Get a gas motor.. Let someone else take a chance on the drama.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

SuperDutyFiver
Explorer
Explorer
Along the best truck line...My 95 F250HD 4x4 ext cab may have been the nicest all around vehicle I've bought. Powerstroke came out in 95-truck was AWESOME as it was the first attempt-plush and comfortable interior-nicer than in a SD until 08 in my opinion. As sated-the trans sucked, but odds are whatever you find has overcome that-a built trans with a good billet converter will match up well with a mid 90s PSD. I'd be concerned with rust-front fenders and cab corners-and def make sure the radiator supports are AOK. Otherwise you can may find a great value if you can track down a lower mileage sourhern F250HD or F350...
36' Carriage Carri-Lite 35rl3
PSD 4x4 Custom Tow Vehicle-the 550
PSD 4X4 2017 CC short box
PSD 4x4 SUV-the X