cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Found it! But CCC looks awful low?

PopUpTom
Explorer
Explorer
The little woman and I have been thinking about a new RV for a couple years now, since the pop-up left. We found a Jayco X17Z on the local RV lot that seems perfect for the two of us, and dog.

The Jayco brochures list an unloaded vehicle wt. of 2900lbs and a GVW of 3500lbs. I noticed a yellow sticker on the actual camper, and it lists an as-delivered weight of 3165 leaving only 335 remaining CCC.

Link to yellow stickers

Is this typical? Are there really 265lbs of options and propane on the "coach"? (Apparently they call them coaches nowadays)
Am I going to get by with only 335lbs of capacity? (I think 2 bikes and a bike carrier are 100lbs)
Am I going to run into the same issue if I find a 17' Roo?
2001 V6 Highlander, 2002 Coleman Sun Valley, Single Bar WD, Tranny Temp Gage, Prodigy Brake Control (update 2010: we've moved outside of Memphis, the PUP has a new home, and we're pondering (2014: still pondering) a larger TV and a hardside)
34 REPLIES 34

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
The 90's chevy big block K2500 is a nolstalgic unit.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:

haha look what just got traded in at our family dealership.
1995 k2500 ext long bed 454 big block!

So.... 230hp, terrible mileage, appalling safety rating,and a 7500# tow rating that it won't pull well up any grade? Lousy brakes, no ABS, EBD......
Realistically, any decent (as in different brand, haha) modern V8 "half ton" will run circles around that dinosaur, and feel better doing it. 90's pickups were nothing to celebrate.
Rant done - back on topic.

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
PopUpTom wrote:

We recently bought a Highlander with a 5000lb tow rating. I knew that it would be able to pull both the 17 and 19' Roos and Exps that are just below that rating. We realized the 17 would meet our needs just as well as the 19, layout wize. The 19 adds the towed weight of another axle, but the advantage of more CCC. I just think the 17 at 3500lb would behave better behind the Toyota than the 19 at 5000lb. I could be all wrong as I now little about double axle towing behavior.

1) Regardless of the weight,, most Hybrid travel trailers will exceed the "frontal area limitation" of the Highlander.

2) the last yota I had said not to exceed 45mph when towing (2010 Tacoma 4x4 TRD w/tow package). Keep in mind this is Toyota's body on frame midsize truck, and it also had a ridiculously low frontal area limitation as well.

3) I think the "sweet spot" for Hybrids are the 17' models that have a 3800# GVWR. 3500ish on the 3500# axles, and 350ish on the tongue. Without having the tongue weight safety debate; the point is that you can easily keep the weight under 3500# axle weight!

Hybrids don't tow easily, so the weight is, in my opinion, somewhat secondary if you toe long distances.
As for the trailblazer that can't tow, I am assuming it is a driver issue, because as much as I think they are an appallingly bad vehicle, they tow not too bad; fear of a noisy revving engine notwithstanding.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
We had over 35 offers for the k2500 big block and its sold to a chevy gearhead. Sold 1/2 2008 work truck k2500s, the other is currently being used as a backup auction tow vehicle/single car trailer whenever the resident cummins quad cab is out of state. We also have a Bering HD rollback cummins powered 6spd/aluminum decked with wheel lift.
All I can say is having a family used car business is HARD WORK.
Nonstop auction searching, procuring vehicles, transporting, and getting lowballed by tire kickers.

S_Bubba
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprised so many of you are concerned with the Gross weight of your trailer. Is it the weight of the trailer against what its specs say, or is it the towing capacity of your vehicle that you worry about?

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Haha was for smiling about a nolstalgic k2500 big block long bed. $4500 and could tow any htt out there, haul yard debris, and open up camper options. My k2500 sub is dedicated tv, firewood hauling, tow anything, and tote kids around in center row buckets.

It cost me $13K.
the 08 k2500 wt is $14.9K

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Santa Fe wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:

Haha??

I think that "Haha" stands for "maniacal laughter".

The "maniac" part might also explain why ol' PAThwacker is using a thread about PUP CCC to post about that and other trucks his family evidently has for sale.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Santa_Fe
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:

Haha??
TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

ryanb-72
Explorer
Explorer
we own a 2012 X17Z. We have owned it since new and in the first year had trouble with the axle and tires. I do not typically stress too much about overloading the camper. we load what we need mostly cooking gear, food and clothes. Bikes, generator, and any outdoor items like fuel, stove, lantern, cooler full of drinks etc... go in the back of the truck. We ended up replacing the axle and I elected to purchase 14" wheels and tires after the first long trip. The axle is still what Jayco installs on them. They covered the part but not the installation so I installed it myself. The additional ground clearance and added carrying cushion from the larger tires seems to be doing well. I tow the trailer generally around the speed limit. We have made several 3000 mile trips with it set-up this way. Sometimes we are carrying water and sometimes not. never really seem to notice a difference. I often wish we had a larger trailer now that we have a larger truck but when we purchased this trailer I owned a smaller TV and was not comfortable towing anything bigger. I guess overall since it has been sometime since the axle and tire change out we are happy with the camper. One thing to consider that I had not thought of before is looking at water tank capacities. The grey water tank is a little small. after a few showers it is full. And it really is nice having a shower in the camper!
Good Luck!
Ryan
P.S.
If you have any specific questions about the X17Z feel free to send a PM.
2012 Jayco X17Z
2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost 4x4
Kipor KGE 3000TI

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
17" axles and frames are rated for low CCC. You need to stick to pups, upgrade, tv, or deal with the low CCC.
I bought a dedicated 7600lb, 7 seat, captain second row Suburban ($13,000).
It works great, carries all, and opens up the camper options up to stick in tin 30ft bh.
Our trailblazer daily driver was limited to 19ft HTT or 5000lb gross wt campers only.

PopUpTom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all with the informative replies. I have been doing more research on the Jaycos that started with the link about axle issues in the Jayco owners forum.

We had been shopping for a new TV, that would spend way more time getting groceries than pulling an RV. A crew-cab truck would pull most anything, but the little woman finally decided on an SUV like her old one. (I would rather pull a popup with my Civic than have something else as my daily driver)

We recently bought a Highlander with a 5000lb tow rating. I knew that it would be able to pull both the 17 and 19' Roos and Exps that are just below that rating. We realized the 17 would meet our needs just as well as the 19, layout wize. The 19 adds the towed weight of another axle, but the advantage of more CCC. I just think the 17 at 3500lb would behave better behind the Toyota than the 19 at 5000lb. I could be all wrong as I now little about double axle towing behavior.

So the search goes on. I'm starting to think about a used 17' with new 14" tires and a 5000# axle underneath it. I should put new tires on it anyway, right?
2001 V6 Highlander, 2002 Coleman Sun Valley, Single Bar WD, Tranny Temp Gage, Prodigy Brake Control (update 2010: we've moved outside of Memphis, the PUP has a new home, and we're pondering (2014: still pondering) a larger TV and a hardside)

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
TB are soccer mom mobiles with added BOF truck attributes. We bought it to tow the 3200lb pup safely (not with some POS 3500lb rated korean garbage), and use it for climbing the 15% grades in every direction to our house. The 5.3 is still going strong and has not needed any other than routine maintanance.

Jayco25E
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
The tb engine was fine. The gear ratio 3.42, frontal area. I would tow a 3000lb pup on some of those 15% grades at 15mph, and have the chevy screamimg.
NEPA is not southeast, PA or similar to any terrain south of 78.

Yes thats a higher gear ratio than my Avalanche. I know all about the hills in northern PA. I have towed our HTT up to NY through northern PA. NY has some good hills to test your TV as well.
2008 Chevy Avalanche
Current 2021 Coachman Apex 300BHS
Past 2005 Jayco 25E HTT
1 kid (but always end up with a full camper)
2 retired Greyhounds

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer

we snagged this 6.0 6spd wt ext 4x4 at auction.