cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Found it! But CCC looks awful low?

PopUpTom
Explorer
Explorer
The little woman and I have been thinking about a new RV for a couple years now, since the pop-up left. We found a Jayco X17Z on the local RV lot that seems perfect for the two of us, and dog.

The Jayco brochures list an unloaded vehicle wt. of 2900lbs and a GVW of 3500lbs. I noticed a yellow sticker on the actual camper, and it lists an as-delivered weight of 3165 leaving only 335 remaining CCC.

Link to yellow stickers

Is this typical? Are there really 265lbs of options and propane on the "coach"? (Apparently they call them coaches nowadays)
Am I going to get by with only 335lbs of capacity? (I think 2 bikes and a bike carrier are 100lbs)
Am I going to run into the same issue if I find a 17' Roo?
2001 V6 Highlander, 2002 Coleman Sun Valley, Single Bar WD, Tranny Temp Gage, Prodigy Brake Control (update 2010: we've moved outside of Memphis, the PUP has a new home, and we're pondering (2014: still pondering) a larger TV and a hardside)
34 REPLIES 34

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
An excellent example of manufacturers deliberately underspecing trailers to hit that magic "under 3500 pounds" market. That hybrid is severely underspec'd, and if it only has a 3500 pound axle under it, dangerously so.

Here's a post from another forum from an owner of this same model, 2013 version; this fellow has had a LOT of trouble with suspension/tires on this trailer:

Jayco 2013 X17Z owner wrote:
Here is the math, the last time it was at Jayco, they weighed the trailer and the total was 3280 pounds empty (including at tongue weight of 520 pounds, a little over the advertised 345 pounds). Take the 3500 pound max weight minus the 3280 trailer weight and you 220 pounds I can put into the trailer before it is over weight. Then minus another 80 pounds because the load capacity on the tires is less and I am down to 140 pounds I can put into a new 2013 X17Z before going over the weight rating of the tires.

Link to source/discussion

220 pounds of available payload is ludicrous. Folks will "overload" this trailer and likely have problems with their "3500 pound capacity" tow vehicles' laboring, not to mention tire and suspension problems with the trailer itself.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure if this applies to hybrids, but on TTs the GVWR is pretty much determined by the GAWRs (of the trailer axles) plus some allowance for hitch weight. The low CCC situation happened to us with our current trailer - despite cavernous storage, a CCC of under 900 lbs doesn't go far enough to fill all the cubbies. We tried hard to stay within the weight ratings, but probably exceeded them a time or two.

That said, keep looking. You may get lucky. Or you may find (as we did with our hybrid) that the SUV is a marginal tow vehicle for the camper, and decide to upgrade the TV. 🙂
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto above, I think the 335 has more to do with keeping the GVWR under 3500 to be 'minivan towable' (HA!) than with what the trailer can actually carry.

I do like having the double axles on my HTT thought. What is your tow capacity?
2008 Nissan Armada TV
2007 Trail Cruiser 21RBH HTT

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I saw the same thing last year when we where looking at the X17Z and decided to move up to the next size, the X18D. GVW is 3,715 lbs. and CCC is 685 lbs. We load pretty much all of our big gear into the back of our truck, including the bikes. Do not trust the flimsy bumper on the camper to put a carrier and two bikes on it. As far as options go, the fridge, the cooktop, the oven, the microwave, the furnace, the toilet, the a/c. They are all options that add weight to the camper. We take what we need and leave the rest at home.
Good Luck on your camper hunt.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
yes, this is typical of nearly all hybrids with the magic 3500lbs. GVWR.

they entice owners of minivans and CUVs because almost all have 3500lbs. as their maximum towing capacity.
and yes, the Roo 17 will be close but it has a GVWR over 3500lbs.
it'll have a yellow sticker weight around 3200lbs.

this is the big issue with these trailer, the very poor CCC numbers.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes